View Full Version : Zenith Roundie Cabinet Fishtank Conversion For Sale On Cincinnati CL

Rental Limo
10-27-2008, 01:46 AM
When i was on a Craigslist search engine i came across a sight that would make you collectors puke. Somebody is selling a Zenith console which was converted to a fishtank. It looks to be a roundie cabinet because after seeing Dougs roundies i never seen a control panel like that on a rectangular color set. To make it worse it was a space command set at one time in its life. Rant Away!

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/fuo/892216501.html

JB5pro
10-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Hopefully the guts and crt are still around. I will try later but I am about to fall asleep and I'm supposed to be up by 6:AM in 2-1/2 hours!

How can people be so stupid? Oh yeah... the same way I am so stupid as to still be surprised and wonder. There is no hope for a better world with people like me and that seller in it!

JB5pro
10-27-2008, 02:33 AM
I wrote him and this time I was appropriately kind! I'm get'n better not just older!
I wrote:
Please tell me you have not thrown away the most valuable things that collectors around the world desire! If you have it is a real shame for you and others! That set has great historical value and many would buy it at a fair price with the guts and picture tube. The conversion you have done will make it almost impossible to give away.
Please don't be offended as many have made the same mistake and I'm sure your intentions are very good.
Sincerely,
Johnny

JB5pro
10-27-2008, 02:39 AM
for some glitch reason my email failed or they miss it.

Looks like it's a remote set! OUCH! Even if the guts and CRT are gone the set is well worth buying to restore it. The cabinet and controls look beautiful. If I were able to I would but it. Parts are around and another set with a bum cabinet is somewhere wait'n for it.

Tony V
10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Yes, it appears to have been a space command Zenith. What a shame!
-Tony

3Guncolor
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
It was about a 64/65 Zenith roundie with SC600. It was a high end set for the time. I'm sure the guts are gone.

drh4683
10-27-2008, 09:58 PM
ouch! What a cool set that was. It was a space command 600 too. Very rare on a roundie, most were 400's. The way he worded it, it sounds like he did the gutting to make it into the pos fish tank. Even if he still had the parts, Im sure he went like a mad man with the side cutters and snipped every wire in site to separate the chassis from the crt and tuners. Either way, its history. Very sad.

Im the complete opposite of everyone else, if a TV is junk, Id gut it and keep the guts, junk the cabinet!

Rental Limo
10-28-2008, 05:31 AM
ouch! What a cool set that was. It was a space command 600 too. Very rare on a roundie, most were 400's. The way he worded it, it sounds like he did the gutting to make it into the pos fish tank. Even if he still had the parts, Im sure he went like a mad man with the side cutters and snipped every wire in site to separate the chassis from the crt and tuners. Either way, its history. Very sad.

Im the complete opposite of everyone else, if a TV is junk, Id gut it and keep the guts, junk the cabinet!

Im always on the look out for old stereo consoles with junk cabinets that i could part out.

Cory
10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow! I actually have the guts to this set, including the remote chassis and the steel roundie bezel. Odd..and sad story... Years ago I spotted a TOL Zenith at a second hand shop, black lacquer cabinet with chinese motif. 50 bucks. Turns out a woman had already bought and paid for it, but didn't want the electronics. Good thing I was quick with the tools.

electroking
10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
I like the 'semi-converted' part! Means he did not erase the control labels, I guess...
Hopes this gets re-united with the proper chassis some day!

zenithfan1
10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow! I actually have the guts to this set, including the remote chassis and the steel roundie bezel. Odd..and sad story... Years ago I spotted a TOL Zenith at a second hand shop, black lacquer cabinet with chinese motif. 50 bucks. Turns out a woman had already bought and paid for it, but didn't want the electronics. Good thing I was quick with the tools.

Hey, I remember you telling this story earlier this year, maybe when drh4683 picked up his Chinese provincial set as it is the same kind you are talking about. Very sad, too bad the lady wouldn't sell it to you. You were at the SA IIRC, and you tried to get it from her all in one piece. She then let you just take the innards. At least you saved the most important parts. another cabinet WILL come along. You should go get this one!! Probably too far though.

bgadow
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Up in the attic I have a chassis w/crt for a 12" Zenith porthole. I showed up 30 minutes too late-a 'fish-tanker' beat me to it. Luckily the flea marketeer saved the chassis for me (being a regular customer, but not regular enough for her to put that set in the back with my name on it!)

Someday I think I'll use it to build a custom mirror-in-lid set.