View Full Version : My new toy arrived!!!

Bill Cahill
10-23-2008, 11:05 PM
A 1949 Bendix 10" table model tv in a mahogany case. Isn't it a beuty? Here are two pix after cleaning it, and, replacing one of the missing knobs.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/55Bill51/Bendixtv1.jpg
And,
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/55Bill51/Bendixtv2.jpg
Isn't it a beuty?? I like the rounded edges, and, the four square feet with heavy felt pads. :D
It's in the line up afterr other repairs are finnished.
I traded a forum member a Hickock tube tester to get this gem.....
It has the original back cover.
The dealer that sold it on ebay had it plugged in. :shock: It actually showed a partial raster!!!
Bill Cahill :banana:

Bill Cahill
10-23-2008, 11:13 PM
By the way.. Does anyone have the missing knob? It looks like the center knob.P M me , please. Thanks.
Bill Cahill

Sandy G
10-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Purty set ! Can't wait to see working pics ! Great score.....

batterymaker
10-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Wood finish looks to be in beautiful shape--positively glows.

Bill Cahill
10-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, close to it. It has dulled slightly with age, but, not much. I think I can bring it back.
Thanks, guys. I like it also. It's going to be awhile before I get on this set, but, it's ahead of another favorite that I've had for three years. My blonde RCA 641 tv. I hope to be on Bendix in the next month, or, so.
Bill Cahill

Dan Starnes
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah,, cant wait to see this one working. It sure is a beauty.
Dan

Eric H
10-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I love the cabinet style on that one Bill!

eberts
10-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I have trouble believing people actually watched those things in 1949.
What was $250 spent on a B&W TV then worth ? Isnt that like $5000 now ?
Some guy showed me his sticker from a station wagon he bought brand new in 1961, it was only $1000. He was still driving it in the late 90's.

Old1625
10-25-2008, 08:01 AM
I have trouble believing people actually watched those things in 1949.
What was $250 spent on a B&W TV then worth ? Isnt that like $5000 now ?
Some guy showed me his sticker from a station wagon he bought brand new in 1961, it was only $1000. He was still driving it in the late 90's.

In '49 you can be sure that only the well-to-do could afford a television receiver. You can also likely be sure that they suddenly had many new friends. In the '50s that all quickly changed, thanks to such as Earl Muntz.

I remember when the basic 4 function calculator you can get for a buck at a discount store today once long ago sold for over $200.

Technology is a wondrous thing indeed. Imagine if your PC was made entirely of 6SN7s the way computers once were.

Tony V
10-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I like it Bill. If its anything like the one i just bought it should be an easy fix for you or at least something you can dig into and see what your doing as theres alot of space. If yours plays anywhere close to mine you'll be happy with it. Nice find buddy! As soon as i get some time i'll post some pics of mine so we can compare what a couple years make. Mines a consolette rectangular version of yours.
-Tony

Bill Cahill
10-28-2008, 02:27 PM
A few years ago I had the consolette version of this set. Also, a 10" round tube. Both sets use a whopping 4"X6" speaker!!
Can they spare it?? Imagine, ma. No damper!!:nono::yes::D:banana:
I'm looking forward to seening yours.
Bill Cahill
Oh, Tony. I'm holding that Mahogany 641 cabinet for you.

classicradios
10-28-2008, 02:43 PM
What an unusual bezel, I've never seen one like that before. Great looking set!

Bill Cahill
10-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks, guys... :D
Re building begins after I finnish my family tv, the RCA, that is, and, a customer's record player.
Then, the fun begins..... :banana::yes::scratch2:
Bill Cahill

nasadowsk
10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
If it's like the 52/53 Bendix I have, it's a good set - mine got stations nothing else could, and could still land you on your butt from the HV a few hours after turning off (I'm not kidding, the HV on the set seemed to just never go away).

And it had magnets around the yoke to correct the geometry (!). Fun fun

Bill Cahill
10-29-2008, 12:11 AM
The set you have is a later one. HV doesn't go away on its' own. You have to properly discharge it using a screwdriver with an insulated handle, and, an alligator clip. Clip the alligator clip to the blade of the screwdriver, and, the chassis.
Holding the insulated handle, stick the blade of the screwdriver under the hv connector rubber cap on the picture tube, until you hear a loud snap. Then, repeat proceedure two, or, three times, as the ambient hv tends to re charge it.
Bill Cahill

nasadowsk
10-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh, I do that.

But then, the HV comes back!

Seriously, I can still get a spark even after discharging the set a dozen times, even after a few days. It's freaky. It's zombie HV!