View Full Version : I don't want to overpay for this tv.

Thyratron
10-17-2008, 11:07 PM
This isn't a "what is it worth?" post, as I don't even own this tv; rather, I am hoping to avoid overpaying for it should I decide to go after it. It's a circa 1959-1962 (approximately, going by physical appearance) Zenith B&W, probably 17" or 19". I don't have a chassis number or model number to give you, but I can say that it's more or less your basic tabletop (not portable) television of the period. Though it does appear to work fairly well and is in excellent shape, undoubtedly it will need the normal capacitors, etc. that most any old and unrestored tv will need. I wanted the opinion of you guys, as most of you have much more experience with old tvs than I, as to what the general "going rate" is for this sort of tv. Keep in mind that such a tv doesn't show up around here much anymore, not that they do anywhere.

mr_fixer
10-18-2008, 01:37 AM
well with no picts and limited information. I can say it isn't worth much yet. but the tone of your post leads me to infer that you really like it. So you must decide what it is worth to you to fulfill your desire for this set. None of our collection is worth anything in the average market except for the extremely rare or desirable models. There is no way to tell what the future will bring for antique TV sets. If some government wacko in the future decides that old tv's are a toxic waste and must be destroyed at great expense to the owner , then buying your treasure at $1 is overpayment. Conversely if the resurgence of vinyl records is any indication of future trends of analogue backlash over digital then paying any price for what you want could be a good investment. Long story short, don't worry about it, pay what you want to, with the thinking that you will never see any return on your purchase except of your personal enjoyment. Logan
P.S. It doesn't matter what you pay for an object, because you will always find a 2nd or 3rd for less than you paid for the first one, at least in my personal experience......

Sandy G
10-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Ditto on what Fixer said...But its also my experience that the ONLY things I've ever really regretted were the things I DIDN'T act on-Passing on a radio/TV, askin' a girl out when I was single, etc....

Phil Nelson
10-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Without more information or a photo, it sounds like something I would pay $50 for at most.

Do you have room for it? Can you afford the price? Do you have the time/skills to to replace capacitors and do other routine restoration? (Yes, they all need that.)

Mr fixer is right. Soon after you buy anything, you'll find others for sale. It's a kind of Murphy's law.

Don't pay more than you're comfortable with. There is a cute Philco "briefcase" portable sitting in an antique mall near here. I was tempted to get it, but the seller was asking too much, in my stingy view. A couple of years later, the TV is still sitting there unsold.

Phil Nelson

Steve McVoy
10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
A table model black and white TV from the 50s or 60s doesn't have much value. I would think a fair price would be around $25.

Thyratron
10-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sorry about not having pictures or a better description, but I saw the tv in passing and it's about an hour trip from here, so it's not readily accessible. Steve, I was thinking along the same lines as you regarding the price; the owner wants around $80, and while I'd pay that for a restored one, it seems pretty high for a questionable one. Maybe I'll check back in a few weeks and see if it's still around; by then, maybe the price will be more negotiable.

radiotvnut
10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Yes, I think $80 is way too much for the average 50's or 60's unrestored B&W set. I think $25 would be pushing it; and, that would depend on model and overall condition. It probably wouldn't hurt to check back with the seller. He could be one of the reasonable ones and agree to sell the set for a decent price or he could be one of the type with the "I don't need to sell this to eat and I'll keep it until hades freezes over if I don't get my price" attitude.

cdmarion
10-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Does it look anything like the one in the link below? The television itself sits on the swivel base and is not connected in any way.

I paid $10 for both the tv and base at a local antique mall, it does work but could be better with a recap.

http://www.freewebs.com/cdmarion/60szenith.htm

Thyratron
11-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Chris, it's actually very similar to that in overall design (just a little "older" looking in styling). That tv of yours looks excellent, as does the stand; the "lunar lander" look with the tapered legs is one of my favorites. At $10, I could never have passed that up.