View Full Version : Which Trinitron?

Njord Noatun
10-11-2008, 11:36 AM
First off, let's get some basic info out of the way so that you know where I am coming from here (apart from never having posted to this AK forum before):

I know zilch about TVs, watch very little (and then only broadcast), and TV stuff is generally fairly low on my list of interest priorities (no offense, guys!).
I do not care for flat screens, and do not care about the digital conversions happening in 2009 (except I know I need to get some kind of converter-thingy).

My current TV is going out (ca. 1999 cheapo Circuit City box) and I am thinking of getting something a little better (CRT, ca. 27"): I like Sony Trinitrons and have heard they are pretty decent TVs, they seem to be plentiful on CL and such, and was wondering if you have any advice as to what Trinitrons (models or vintages) I should look for or avoid.

Thanks - keep in mind I am a TV newbie! :thmbsp:

radiotvnut
10-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't know how much help I'll be; but, here are my observations:

I don't think there were any Trinitrons bigger than a 19" in the '70's. Most were fairly reliable except for those models that used a device called a gate controlled switch in the horizontal deflection circuit. This device was prone to failure and cost out the butt to replace.

Sony came out with a 26" set in the early '80's that should be avoided because the CRT (710AB22, IIRC) was not reliable at all. After that set, Sony's got pretty good during the '80's. I've still seen plenty of weak CRT's on the '80's Sony's; but, not as many as I've seen on the newer models. I'm currently watching an '85 Sony that was a repair shop reject about 6 years ago. I replaced the bridge rectifier in it when I got it and, for some reason, had to do the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, it's been a great TV.

Sony's from the '90's started going downhill. There was a sound decoder board that was a common failure in the early '90's sets and the mid to late '90's sets were prone to power supply failure due to poor soldering in the horizontal output circuit. I've seen more than a few flyback transformer failures on the later '90's models. Lastly, weak CRT's tend to be more common on the '90's era sets. The '90's era Sony's have circuitry that will blank the video if the CRT becomes a little weak. Some will just blank the screen and others will flash on and off.

I really don't care for the newer Sony's manufactured in the last few years. Flyback transformer and CRT failures are more common, as well as other "odd ball" problems. Overall, they "cheaped out" on the quality but they didn't "cheap out" on the price!

So, if I were looking for a larger screen Sony, I'd try to find one from the mid to late '80's. Whatever you get, check out the picture before you buy. With the color control turned down, you should have a B&W picture. Also, the picture should be sharp and there should not be any color "bleeding". If there is tinting in the B&W picture, color bleeding, and overall lack of sharpness, the CRT is likely weak and should be avoided. If the picture is slightly tinted and there is no bleeding or lack of detail, there are adjustments inside the set that can be made to give you a B&W picture. If you get a '90's era Sony, it might be a good idea to resolder (or have resoldered) all the connections that tend to take out the power supply.

KentTeffeteller
10-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Njord,

Until 1978, Sony Trinitron TV sets didn't come larger than 17" diagonal. An older 17" Trinitron is nice performing when all is at spec. The larger screen sizes became available in the 1980's. A Profeel in nice shape would be superb for you.