View Full Version : New Find- Philco-Ford Combo

truetone36
09-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Latest curbside find. It's in a tall armoire-like cabinet with doors. Philcomatic III color t.v., AM/FM receiver, 8-track, and TT in good conndition. It belonged to an elderly gentleman who lives down the road a half-mile from me. He's cleaning out his shop building and when I asked about this combo he gave it and a Thomas Model J organ to me. If I'd been a day earlier He would've given me a baby grand piano but he took a sledge hammer to it before I got there:tears:. I've gotta go back to see him tomorrow because he's got some other t.v.s and stuff he says I can have when he digs them out as well as some pretty nice old furniture. Everything works on the combo but I get no audio from the t.v. and the picture has too much blue and adjusting the color and tint controls has no efect. I'd like to fix it as this appears to be a fairly high-end set for the time (I'm guessing about 1970).
If anyone knows where I should start I would really appreciate it. I don't have a model # as the tag is partly missing.
edit: I've found out that it's a 1975 model, and it has a black matrix CRT.

radiotvnut
09-28-2008, 04:36 PM
I assume that this is solid state being from '75? That should be a late Philco-Ford set because I think somewhere along there is when Philco was bought by GTE.

sampson159
09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
my sister had the same set bought new in late 1974.really pretty picture.philco had a look all its own back then.i had a philco hybrid and it had a truely awesome picture.many filter problems-gave up and replaced them all.traded for a sylvania remote superset (e-48).her philco was the same combo,same cabinet.pretty good set-you may want to have a spare regulator and horizontal board handy at all times.good quality!nice find.

zenithfan1
09-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Sounds nice, I'd like to see pics.

wa2ise
09-28-2008, 06:53 PM
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/ph-nf.jpg

My parents had a Philco-Ford no frost fridge. They bought it in 1972. Lasted about 15 years.