View Full Version : GE is getting back into the TV business

andy
09-23-2008, 08:53 PM

peverett
09-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I just hope that they are better built than the TVs built by them in the 1960s(exception=Portacolor, these almost always still "work").

wa2ise
09-23-2008, 10:57 PM
They're just going to slap GE stickers on something made by a Taiwanese company...

freakaftr8
09-24-2008, 12:19 AM
They're just going to slap GE stickers on something made by a Taiwanese company...

It would absolutly blow my mind to see GE make an LCD in America?>>?..!! :scratch2:

colorfixer
09-24-2008, 12:48 AM
I think we need to coin a new phrase. "Black Plastic Cube" or "Black Piece of Crap" needs to be updated to reflect the new crappier LCD, Plasma and other "hang on the wall" TV's.

Unfortunately, my experience with Tatung hasn't been any more positive than the TCE built crap.

radiotvnut
09-24-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm really not that familiar with Tatung. I seem to remember a Tatung set from the late '70's that looked similar to a Sony in styling. I've seen some Tatung computer monitors; but, not much else by them.

zenith2134
09-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Tatung has always been a POS in my book. Reminds me of some cheap bare-bones knob tuned 13" from the 80s.

As for coining a new phrase.... how about FPC ...for flat piece of crap. HGTV for hangable garbage tv?

andy
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM

classictv80s
09-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Here's what GE would do if they were smart, which of course we all know they're not. Instead of sticking their logo onto some expensive junk LCDs made overseas, GE should announce, in a huge bid for publicity, that they want to help lead a movement to revive manufacturing in the United States, and help struggling Americans be able to afford a TV - especially a digital TV. So, in dramatic fashion, they announce that they will manufacture 13-inch CRT digital (SD) TV sets entirely in the US with a MSRP of $99 - to be sold at every Wal-Mart and Sam's Club store throughout the country. This would coincide with a special distribution agreement that GE signs with Wal-Mart in regards to the 99-dollar, made in the USA digital TV. Second, GE would launch a nationwide TV ad campaign touting the new sets with a patriotic theme, featuring celebrity pitches from people like Billy Mays and Lou Dobbs. In the Billy Mays commercial, he announces that anyone who buys one of these GE TV sets at Wal-Mart will automatically get a free bottle of Kaboom. Eventually, General Electric would make Billy Mays their main pitch man for ALL of their products.

Now how do you all like that for a company plan?

Sandy G
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Get rid of that horse's patoot Billy Mays & you've got a winner...(grin)

freakaftr8
09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Like the idea but who's Billy Mays? :scratch2:

jln1966
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
We all know they wont be made in the US. They would have to pay Americans a living wage and they wouldnt want to do that. GE needs to get out of the appliance buisness also. Their appliances are junk. Whirlpool makes the best appliances now.
John

colortrakker
09-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Billy Mays is that loud, bearded guy who does commercials for everything from Orange Glo to life insurance. You can't watch TV without seeing him.

zenith2134
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
the one I've been seeing lately is.... Billy May's here for OxyClean!

Bet he does real well too.

GE appliances have been so-so since the late 80s it seems. The older stuff lasts forever but nowadays they do make some junky appliances.

Carmine
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
the one I've been seeing lately is.... Billy May's here for OxyClean!

Bet he does real well too.

GE appliances have been so-so since the late 80s it seems. The older stuff lasts forever but nowadays they do make some junky appliances.

I rather disagree... Most of their older stuff was junk too, compared to the competition at the time.

Of course, when compared to today's appliance junk, it's practically military-spec!

slow_jazz
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree all they will do is slap their name on someone else's product.

Sad I had a 19" GE tv from the late 70's that lasted 20 years... Plus it was a floor model when I purchased it.... Never once had a service call on it...

freakaftr8
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh yeah, that bearded dude with the oxyclean commercials! lol!!

rcaman
09-24-2008, 11:35 PM
We all know they wont be made in the US. They would have to pay Americans a living wage and they wouldnt want to do that. GE needs to get out of the appliance buisness also. Their appliances are junk. Whirlpool makes the best appliances now.
John

whirlpool has always made the best. i have had my ass burned on ge junk for the last time and i will never buy a ge appliance again. 3 bad washers 3 bad airconditioners and i think i am missing a couple. not a single problem with all my whirlpool and they see heavy use.

radiotvnut
09-24-2008, 11:58 PM
whirlpool has always made the best. i have had my ass burned on ge junk for the last time and i will never buy a ge appliance again. 3 bad washers 3 bad airconditioners and i think i am missing a couple. not a single problem with all my whirlpool and they see heavy use.

We have a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator that's 13 years old and still going. Of course, it will probably die tomorrow since I'm bragging about it. I also have a Whirlpool window A/C in the shop. I've only had it a year and no complaints so far. OTOH, my neighbor has a GE window A/C that may be 3 years old and it sounds like it's on it's last leg. They don't call it "Garbage Electric" for nothing. The GE replaced a 40 year old Frigidaire that finally rusted out.

epifanatic
09-25-2008, 12:04 AM
No, Please!!!!! one more comercial with Billy Mays screaming at me will surely prompt me to put a bullet through my own T.V.

classictv80s
09-25-2008, 03:58 AM
No, Please!!!!! one more comercial with Billy Mays screaming at me will surely prompt me to put a bullet through my own T.V.

Yes, but you could then drive to your local Wal-Mart and replace that dead TV full of bullet holes with a made in the USA GE set for only 99 bucks. ::thmbsp:

zenith2134
09-25-2008, 08:44 AM
This house had a 1980's Hotpoint which lasted til 2000. We now have a GE and its been repaired twice. Once the icemaker broke down and the second time the defrost heater went crazy and almost caught fire. (!) This was one of their most expensive fridges back then, too.

And the Range....well we have the matching white GE stove and microwave. It replaced one of those monstrous combo units from the 70s...think it was a Tappan. I recall putting the old units' fluorescent light on every night for years and years. The GE's fluorescent went in 3 years, no shit. I ordered a replacement bulb, but no its actually the 'starter circuit' which fried, now the light just blinks on and off constantly.

Again, this wasn't a cheap range. :thumbsdn:

bgadow
09-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I recall an announcement earlier this year that the GE major appliance business if for sale. I haven't heard anything since-I suspect someone from overseas would buy it, as Whirlpool & Electrolux own so many brands between them that I don't suppose the FTC would allow either to add GE & Hotpoint.

I didn't realize that there WEREN'T GE TV sets on the market right now, but I guess it's right. I guess the agreement with Thomson sunseted a few years back. This will join all the other brand-engineered TV sets like Westinghouse, Motorola (is that venture still going?) and others.

Blast
09-26-2008, 08:29 PM
There's NO GE TV's on the market right now??? How long have they been gone? Wow, I didn't even miss them.
Brian