View Full Version : Late Model Toshiba, Trying to Fix

bgadow
09-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I was given this back in the spring but didn't drag it home until today. It ranks as the newest and fanciest TV I've ever had. (I wouldn't say "best" since I reserve that for 40-50 year old sets!) It's a 2006 Toshiba 32". Assembled in USA, Philips crt from Mexico. Digital ready. Powers up, but no vertical drive-just a straight line. I figured this would be easy, either a bad solder joint or cap. I touched up all the joints with no change; twisting and tapping the chassis does nothing. I subbed the largest cap in the circuit (2200uf) but still nothing. I could try swapping the smaller caps. The only thing producing any heat is a resistor, and it's big enough that it should be warm. (it's not too hot) This set is too nice to junk so if I can't figure it out I'll give it to someone who knows what they are doing. Any easy suggestions?

radiotvnut
09-22-2008, 10:55 PM
It probably has a defective vertical output IC and probably the fusible resistor in the B+ line to the IC is open. I've seen electrolytic caps in the vertical circuit fail and take out the IC; so, you'll probably be doing the right thing by changing the caps. You can probably find a data sheet for the vertical IC online. The datasheet should tell you where the B+ enters the IC.

MRX37
09-22-2008, 11:06 PM
From my experience with Toshibas in the 1986 to 1990 range, at least two low value lytic caps fail.

classictv80s
09-22-2008, 11:23 PM
That is a sad thing to hear about your Toshiba. I really hope you can get it up and running. It has always been one of my favorite brands, as I have four Toshiba TVs made from 1979-2004. It was around 2004 that I believe they began to go downhill. That year, after buying another Toshiba TV/VHS combo, we got one of their "home theater" sound systems and everytime you would turn that piece of junk on, it would crank out these loud humming and buzzing noises for about a minute and a half - then the noises would quit. It was still under warranty when my mom one day couldn't stand it anymore and yanked it out of the living room and took it back to Sam's Club. They couldn't fix it, so they refunded the purchase price in full. I managed to keep the remote though. We haven't bought any new Toshiba products since. Come to think about it, the 2004 TV is the last TV we ever bought new.

waltchan
09-23-2008, 12:11 AM
That is a sad thing to hear about your Toshiba. I really hope you can get it up and running. It has always been one of my favorite brands, as I have four Toshiba TVs made from 1979-2004. It was around 2004 that I believe they began to go downhill. That year, after buying another Toshiba TV/VHS combo, we got one of their "home theater" sound systems and everytime you would turn that piece of junk on, it would crank out these loud humming and buzzing noises for about a minute and a half - then the noises would quit. It was still under warranty when my mom one day couldn't stand it anymore and yanked it out of the living room and took it back to Sam's Club. They couldn't fix it, so they refunded the purchase price in full. I managed to keep the remote though. We haven't bought any new Toshiba products since. Come to think about it, the 2004 TV is the last TV we ever bought new.
The reason why Toshiba CRT TVs are now JUNK because the newer ones are made by Orion, not made by Toshiba. If you have never of Orion, it makes Broksonic, Emerson (90s), Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands. All Toshiba TV/VCR combos are made by Orion, so bugs and quirks occur often. The downhill started in 2001, not 2004. 2001 was the first year that all Toshiba CRT sets under 27" (excluding 27" flat-screens) were made by Orion. By 2005, ALL Toshiba CRT TVs, regardless of what size and price, were made by Orion.

bgadow, the 32" Toshiba set you are working on is the first 32" set made by Orion for Toshiba, which is model 32AF45, I believe. Don't be too excited in fixing it because Orion-made Toshiba TVs always have inferior picture quality versus Toshiba-made ones.

radiotvnut
09-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I recently fixed a later model Orion built 32" Toshiba set. It was not digital. All it needed was the MOSFET (2SK2633, IIRC) in the power supply replaced. It had a fairly decent picture; but, the build quality and picture quality were not as good as the real Toshiba sets. I also just fixed a '93 19" Toshiba by changing two 2.2 uf red caps in the vertical circuit and it still produced a very nice picture even after 16 years. I don't think brand names mean much anymore. It's pretty much all built by Orion or Funai.

classictv80s
09-23-2008, 12:53 AM
The reason why Toshiba CRT TVs are now JUNK because the newer ones are made by Orion, not made by Toshiba. If you have never of Orion, it makes Broksonic, Emerson (90s), Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands. All Toshiba TV/VCR combos are made by Orion, so bugs and quirks occur often. The downhill started in 2001, not 2004. 2001 was the first year that all Toshiba CRT sets under 27" (excluding 27" flat-screens) were made by Orion. By 2005, ALL Toshiba CRT TVs, regardless of what size and price, were made by Orion.

bgadow, the 32" Toshiba set you are working on is the first 32" set made by Orion for Toshiba, which is model 32AF45, I believe. Don't be too excited in fixing it because Orion-made Toshiba TVs always have inferior picture quality versus Toshiba-made ones.

Well, I have one Toshiba TV/VHS combo from 2001 and another from 2004. Both are still going strong and have excellent picture and sound quality - and I'm quite picky about picture and sound quality. I like to think that there are some exceptions out there. But there's no way that I'll ever buy a newer Toshiba product again.

markthefixer
09-23-2008, 01:35 AM
You will want to replace the vertical drive integrated circuit, and the 6 or 8 caps associated with it. The usually are just one or two 105 degree caps, replace them all with 105's. I have done this for several monitors and tv's with vertical problems, and without schematics to boot.... both the stone cold dead stuff, and the vertical non-linear effects that yield temporarily to thumping the unit.

Just download the data sheet, which usually has the test or recommended circuit contained within.

The Vertical Drive IC's should be easily available too.

waltchan
09-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Well, I have one Toshiba TV/VHS combo from 2001 and another from 2004. Both are still going strong and have excellent picture and sound quality - and I'm quite picky about picture and sound quality. I like to think that there are some exceptions out there. But there's no way that I'll ever buy a newer Toshiba product again.
The smaller screens (19" and under) by Orion reportedly have produced good picture quality for many years. The bigger screens had some trouble with reliability and picture quality as Orion is never good in producing them in the first place.

waltchan
09-23-2008, 02:12 AM
I don't think brand names mean much anymore. It's pretty much all built by Orion or Funai.
True, but there is one unusual announcement by Funai, which I still cannot believe, that beginning this year, all larger-screen Funai owned brand LCD TVs will be made by JVC. (Huh!!!)

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=22387

Kiwick
09-23-2008, 02:41 AM
Orion was a decent manufacturer in the 70s and 80s, i have an early 70s Orion 8 track player, a late 70s TV-radio-cassette portable combination, and a mid 80s 13" color TV, they're built quite well and they still work like new!

The same is more or less true for Funai although i've never owned any of their older stuff.

The truth is that it's all junk now... and sometimes cheap Chinese or Indian sets are nicer to work on as they use simpler designs with traditional through hole components...

zenith2134
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Came across two Orion-built Daewoo's around here. They were both early 80s 19 inch sets. One had digital-tuning. Both were very high quality with excellent pix, gave em both away.

bgadow
09-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks, guys, more help than I expected! I'll research it a bit. I don't want to keep this one for myself as it's really too big for the space I have. One reason I grabbed it is that an organization I belong to wants a larger screen set for an event they have coming up in a couple weeks. I'm not sure if I want to try fixing it or just tell them to borrow one from somewhere else. The woman who gave it to me was really dissapointed by it. She got less than 2 years use out of it; she doesn't want to pay someone to fix it and said even if I got it fixed for nothing she would never trust it again.