View Full Version : Scratched screen...

MRX37
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I have this nice flat screen monitor with a good picture, and several big ugly scratches on the screen :(

I'm thinking of buying some fine grit sandpaper (300 grit maybe), and just sand away the scratch. The scratches are very light, so I wouldn't be taking off more then 1/16th of an inch of glass.

What do you guys think?

wa2ise
09-11-2008, 12:28 AM
so I wouldn't be taking off more then 1/16th of an inch of glass.

What do you guys think?

That might weaken the glass enough to cause it to break. Is it a plasma set? That has essentially a low pressure hollow insides, and it might break.

Maybe you should use stuff intended for fixing chips in car windshields.

goraman
09-11-2008, 12:47 AM
300 is not fine 1800 is very fine and I think you will do more damage than good,they make fine grit polish for plastic.your screen is most likey not glass at all. but acrylic.
I would call the manufacture and get advise.

firenzeprima
09-11-2008, 12:56 AM
to remove the scratch the sand paper of 1200 fits better with water. then use white pulp coach, finally the cream of 3M rose to refine. all done by hand with uin cloth or cotton or wool.
be careful not to overheat the work area so as not to damage the phosphors. a long time but ultimately by its results. good job.

Koen K
09-11-2008, 02:03 AM
I agree with goreman. I think you shouldn't use sanding paper on computer screens :no:

You will probably make things worse that way. There are some special polishing products for displays and computer screens, I think one of them is called Displex. It will take some time but at least you will not harm the screen that way

MRX37
09-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I should specify: It's a flat screen CRT monitor!

andy
09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Does it have an anti glare coating? If it does, you will make it look worse if you try to polish it. If you want to try it any way, look for information on making lenses. You'll need to use a similar process. First you'll have to grind out the scratch, then polish it with finer and finer materials until it's smooth. It will be a LOT of work considering that nice CRT monitors literally litter the streets these days.

I've seen quite a few flat CRT monitors that actually have a sheet of tinted anti-glare plastic over the screen. This scratches very easily, but it can be peeled off. I've seen this on both Sony and Mitsubishi monitor CRTs. You'd have to pull the CRT to be sure though. You could probably replace it with car window tint if it leaves the screen looking too light.

Kiwick
09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
if the actual CRT envelope is scratched (not a removable plastic film) forget it.

I have once tried to remove some scratches from a TV screen with fine sandpaper under water and it was a waste of time as the glass got opaque, i finally had to replace the CRT.

MRX37
09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Anti glare coating?: Check. :(

One scratch deep enough to scratch the glass? Check. :(

Oh well, I can use the chassis for caps...