View Full Version : 80s Magnavox vs. Sylvania. Any difference?

waltchan
09-08-2008, 12:07 AM
What's the difference between Magnavox and Sylvania when Philips made them back in the 80s? Was Magnavox considered to be a higher-end version of Sylvania, or was Sylvania higher-end than Magnavox? Were Sylvania CRTs from the 80s any good and have you seen one? I read a lot of threads here already, but I don't hear anyone mentioning Sylvania too often here.

radiotvnut
09-08-2008, 12:44 AM
As far as I can tell, the only difference between Magnavox and Sylvania sets of the '80's and '90's are the name plastered on the set. And remember, Philps also acquired the Philco name when they purchased Sylvania from GTE in, IIRC, '81 (Philco was owned by GTE before the Philips takeover). I've worked on many Sylvania, Magnavox, and Philco branded NAP sets and I couldn't tell any difference in quality from one to another.

It's sad that current Sylvania consumer electronics products are rebadged Funai garbage. I don't know exactly when Philips lost control of the Sylvania name to the Funai Corp.

radiotvnut
09-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Oh, the CRT's in these sets were all labeled NAP and they seemed to hold up pretty good. I have, however, seen many weak CRT's in the older GTE Sylvania's.

zenith2134
09-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Two sets come to mind.... An '84 Magnavox with NAP chassis and CRT and a 1981 Sylvania which was made by GTE. Both were 19 inchers, but I would have preferred the Sylvania. Had to toss it though since it was infested with ants. :thumbsdn:

kx250rider
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Both identical, and so are Philco and many Montgomery Ward sets of the 80s. As said, only the nameplate is different among them.

Charles

waltchan
09-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Was Magnavox more expensive than Sylvania, or Sylvania more expensive than Magnavox?

bgadow
09-08-2008, 11:01 PM
A new TV shop opened in town about the time Philips took over from GTE. He sold all 3-Philco, Sylvania, Magnavox. My guess is that they were priced in that order, ascending. The Philco's seem to be the rarest; the ones I've seen from that era were just as well built as their stablemates.

Randy Bassham
09-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Philips dropped the Philco name first due to it's sounding like Philips, then for a very short time they revived the Crosley name and it was on some of their sets.