View Full Version : Need Your Help to Identify Early Set

colortel
09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Tom Genova was contacted by a woman wanting to identify the manufacturer of first television set in her family. What do you know about it?

The picure came from a 67 year-old lady from Illinois, who is on a mission to find out the manufacturer of her childhood TV set.

She believes the TV was purchased in 1947 or 1948.

The attached photos were *taken* in 1952.
She is the only child, and the parents have passed long ago. She discovered these old photos, and wanted more information about the TV.

They used the set, in Illinois, until 1960. The lady doesn't remember if it had channel one, or anything else (unique) about the set.

Her Dad always was proud that the set was one of the first electronic sets in the state of Illinois, and apparently the second set in her city of Belleville, Illinois. (Southwestern corner of Illinois).

Those who have looked at the set have the same impression that I had -- the darn thing looks a bit European -- or -- Canadian. It looks several years later than 1948.

Her Dad was a Staff Sgt. At Scott Air Force base, and a bit of a wheeler-dealer (her words) -- so there is a tantalizing possibility that it could have been acquired from someplace outside of the USA. But what is the likelihood of that happening in 1947? And from where, with our standards...
only Canada?, and did the Canadians have unique sets ready for export that early?

The name of the set is just below the middle of the screen.

The letters TV, are fairly clearly visible at the end.

She says under high magnification, the first letter appears to be an "N" or a "K".

The original photos are 3" x 3" -- and she was smart enough to scan them at 600DPI, with the result being the last photo of the name.

It's an interesting story -- if you have any idea(s), let me know.

thanks for any help you can give.

Ed Reitan

Eric H
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm almost positive it's a Crosley, that or a Stromberg Carlson.

Bill Cahill
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Definately looks like a Crosley to me..
Bill Cahill

julianburke
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
If you look at that picture, you can almost make out the "CROSLEY" if you look at it a certain way. I know, you can use that computer you see on "LA Law" where they take pictures far worse than that and process them (license plates and photos) and then turn it into a crisp picture!

Steve D.
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
You guys all get cigars.

I just replied to Tom Genova on this.
It is a 1950 model year Crosley. Model 10-404. 12½" screen.

-Steve D.

John Marinello
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Harry has the same model on his site, Item # CROS-5T01:

http://www.harryposter.com/vintagetelevision.htm

Tony V
09-02-2008, 11:07 PM
One of the members on here bought and restored one of these not too long ago. I was always drawn to the unusual faceplate these had. Definately distinctive compared to similar sets of the day.
-Tony

colortel
09-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow, you guys are great - the first identification came in 30 minutes after my posting.

Thanks to Eric H., Bill Cahill, Julian, Steve Dichter, John Marinello, and Tony V.

Steve D. sent me the attached clippings from Radio Retailing of December, 1949. Steve does have a fine paper archive, and he finds great things in it!

Ed Reitan

Bill Cahill
09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
:yes:You are welcome!!
Bill Cahill