View Full Version : Zenith 17z22q odd scanning

ha1156w
08-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Okay, I finally rounded up some tubes for my long-neglected Zenith 17Z22Q SC200 console. Brought it up slowly on the Variac and got the oddest result. I'd say it had vertical or horizontal collapse, but the line is static DIAGONAL! The yoke doesn't look disturbed. Yeah, it's complete recap time.....I relent. No audio (so no IF) and changing the channel doesn't create any difference whatsoever in the pattern so obviously no RF either. Anybody run across something this bizarre?

electroking
08-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Wild guess: yoke is really undisturbed, but it has an internal short that allows
the vertical sweep signal to leak into the horizontal coils.

ha1156w
08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Oh boy....well, if that's the case, how hard is it to get another yoke for this chassis? Is there a universal type replacement for this tube?

Thanks!

Tube TV
08-29-2008, 04:09 AM
It is quite a interesting problem , I have not seen that one before .
However , I has a similar problem with my 1954 Crosley . with the Ion trap , but it was way way darker .
Im going to agree with electoking , and also say a shorted yoke .
It would most likely have keystone , but also appears to have a dead vertical oscillator or output section .

Old televisions will do almost anything when a recap is due , and it may not need a new yoke .
I would start with the caps , and go from there .
The CRT looks to be nice and bright , which makes it a bonus for restoring .
Im not sure about the availability of a NOS or used yoke , but someone will probably chime in that knows more about that than I do .

Best of luck with it .

edison64
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Ok for whats worth, here are my 2 cents, Back in the 70s ,we had a local tv repair shop, the guy had a booming business, selling new color sets. He did verry little repair work on old BW sets and old color sets. The old sets some how couldnt be repaired:nono:. if the customer, wouldnt buy a new set, the guy would sabotage the old one:thumbsdn::no: one of his favorite tricks was to take a small straight pin, like for sewing, clip off the head, and....... :tears::tears: push it in the tight windings of the yolk, shorting it out. what an ahole:thumbsdn::thumbsdn: I had a philco that he worked?? on, looked very similar to your pix.

bgadow
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
If it needs a yoke, I wouldn't worry too much. One of us might have it, and if not Moyers might.

Konrad Schiecke
08-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Based on my experience working at Zenith your problem is definitely the deflection yoke. Zenith had lots of trouble with a yoke vendor and thousands of yokes were being returned each week. The problem was eventually solved by going in at the vendor and showing him how to properly wind a yoke. The two main defect simptoms were the diagonal pattern and a keystone pattern.
Later on when color was blooming we (Zenith) went into our own manufacturing of yokes.
konrad

ha1156w
08-30-2008, 08:04 PM
*sigh*. Well in preparation, what number yoke should I ask Moyers for?

Thanks for all your help!

bgadow
08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
For what it's worth, the Sams is 343-18. I looked but I don't have it. Way back in the attic I have a couple Zenith chassis' but if I wrote down the numbers I lost the note. If you really get stumped I'll go digging.