View Full Version : Sony Trinitron KV-1201 score

zenithfan1
08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
I went to the Value Village last weekend and found this little beauty for 4 bucks, 2 actually since it was half price day. I powered it up and it had no color but the picture was very bright and sharp. That was enough for me to buy it as these have instant on and the CRTs are almost always dead. I tested the CRT on a Sencore CR-70 and it tested like new with an infinite count on the life test. I unplug it every time I'm done using it. The color problem was just very dirty controls, a little de-oxit and they are as good as new.
I have one of these for parts but is in sad shape, Jim Menning gave the parts one to me when I was there to get the CTC-4. I almost threw it out a week before I found this one, good thing I didn't as I did need two knobs from it for this one. That CRT tested weak but I was able to "restore" it well enough to save as a spare. It took me a couple of hours to clean the years of filth from the set as it most likely sat in a basement for a long time. I would date this set around 1972.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3072.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3075.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3074.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3093.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3096.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3097.jpg
Top looks dirty only in picture.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3101.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_3104.jpg

firenzeprima
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
wow wow excellent color TV SET! compliments. explains to me one thing please. What does that windy on the neck of the tube? I do not ever view of the color TV SET I repaired, thanks

radiotvnut
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Nice find. I have not seen one of those in about 15 years.

Mr Hoover
08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi
Your TV looks almost identical to the European KV1300E which dates from
1972.Picture attached.

Sony at that stage were trying to get round the PAL Color patents
& there was a very early UK model which converted PAL to NTSC.
This one also has a hue control on the front which is very rare on PAL
sets so maybe the same.

They are built like a tank & very reliable.

I have a video if it on youtube receiving Italian Rai 1 DX TV on lowband
a few weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5Oor3Uukk

The show was in widescreen format so screen is dark at top and bottom.
Select the "Watch in higher Quality" option to the lower right of the screen.

I can't remember what the "windy thing" is..Maybe the Color purity
adjustment.

Hugh

Brian
08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
That brings back memories. The dating is about right. I got the same model in '72, my 1st color set after getting married and used it until I got divorced. AFAIK, the ex may stll be using it. The color shut out everything that was in the store except other Sonys. I think when I got it, it had just been replaced with an updated model so it may be from '71.

zenith2134
08-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey nice to see you back around, zenithfan1!

These Sonys are usually very nice. I have 3 slightly newer trinitrons that I love.

About the color: It is amazing how accurate and vivid the color can be on these. Good score indeed, and some nice cleanup job!!

andy
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I used to have a KV-1212 which was the same set with AFT.

Sandy G
08-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Somethin' about an old Trinitron...

AndyMack
08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Theres been an old Sony Trinitron bouncing around Craigslist here all summer, located over in western Mass; for anybody that might be interested here's a link:

http://albany.craigslist.org/ele/782862334.html

zenithfan1
08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys! I was pretty exited when I saw it. And thanks Zenith2134, it's nice to be back! Been busy with "things" lately, I also have a few obligations to fellow AKers and will follow through with that as well. I have not forgotten about you! LOL. To answer your question firenzeprima, That lead is the focus voltage, I am also unfamiliar with the trinitrons but they are interesting to work on so I'm learning new stuff and that is always fun.

firenzeprima
08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys! I was pretty exited when I saw it. And thanks Zenith2134, it's nice to be back! Been busy with "things" lately, I also have a few obligations to fellow AKers and will follow through with that as well. I have not forgotten about you! LOL. To answer your question firenzeprima, That lead is the focus voltage, I am also unfamiliar with the trinitrons but they are interesting to work on so I'm learning new stuff and that is always fun.

PLEASE. explains what does that windy on the neck of the tube? I do not ever view of the color TV SET I repaired, thanks

zenithfan1
08-26-2008, 02:10 PM
I think you are talking about the white part with the knob on it? If so, that is the adjustment for convergence or purity, I accidentally turned it while I was cleaning the area. The glue that holds it in place was dried up and the knob twisted when the rag got caught on it. I was able to easily put it back to it's original position and secure it with some rubber like cement that could be removed in the future if needed. I hope this answers your question.
Mark

zenithfan1
08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I used to have a KV-1212 which was the same set with AFT.

I also have one of these but unfortunately the CRT is shot and the vinyl on the top is shrunken and peeling off:tears:

freakaftr8
12-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Hey the other day I had the privelage to meet up with Vintagecollect and purchased some nice early solid state sets from him. One of which is a 1972 Sony KV-1220U. Has an excellent picture and crisp and bright as well. I have it connected to Directv. What I have noticed while running it next to my 1994 13" sony is that the early trinitron tubes were in fact more square than later recanglular. Is it just me or have you guys noticed the same thing as well? And also it's odd but the color gamut seems to display hues of turquoise and violet with so much chroma than the newer sets, even with the color turned low..

Tomcomm
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
That KV1201 has a great picture, you're so lucky. You mentioned about the trinatron spare:
"That CRT tested weak but I was able to "restore" it well enough to save as a spare. "
I have a rare '75 KV2101 that has weak green, the red and blue are plenty bright so I'M considering a rejuvenation. I live in the sticks and was able to find only one Sencor 7000 repairman that would attempt a restore for $45. He says he's been very successful with the early trinatrons, so how did you restore yours?

zenithfan1
12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I had great results with my Sencore CR-70 "Beam Builder" tester. I used one cycle of the auto restore function and the CRT came back nicely. I hope you can restore yours too. Good luck with it, I like your set. Looks like a big version of my little one.

sampson159
12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
when those sonys are right,they rule.sharp,sharp picture.definatetly a keeper.once again,you have topped us all.welcome back mark!

freakaftr8
12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey Mark! Where u been! Lol, yeah i've been busy too... Hey this lil kv-1220u has a better picture than my 13". If you look at early trinitrons, they really were strong about quality. the 13" has a blotchy shadow mask, you can tell it's warped or something. Iv'e seen like 5 of these newer trinitrons this way. Ill snap some photos, I just touched up greyscales and some convergence.

Tomcomm
12-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Mark....Good to know the Sencor CT 70 works great on on our '70-'75 trinatrons. I can get a shop to test/repair my 21in 570DB22 for $45-65 or I can get a used CT 70 for around $150 inc shipping, on Ebay. I count 13 operational CRTs at my place, 4 are Sony trinitrons.....I'm tending to go with the Ebay. BTW, does your CT 70 test 570DB22 8 pin base?

radiotvnut
12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I think I'd go the used CR70 route. If you own several old TV's or plan on owning more old TV's in the future, the CR70 would pay for itself. It wouldn't take many trips to the TV shop to eat up what a used CR70 would cost. I believe the CR70 cost over a grand when it was new. I suspect there will be many quality CRT testers available for a very reasonable price in the near future since CRT's are being phased out.

zenithfan1
12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Mark....Good to know the Sencor CT 70 works great on on our '70-'75 trinatrons. I can get a shop to test/repair my 21in 570DB22 for $45-65 or I can get a used CT 70 for around $150 inc shipping, on Ebay. I count 13 operational CRTs at my place, 4 are Sony trinitrons.....I'm tending to go with the Ebay. BTW, does your CT 70 test 570DB22 8 pin base?

Yes, this thing can test ANY CRT made up to now if you use a schematic and universal adapter which I have, {up to '91 is in the tube book}. It also has the 8 pin adapter too. In my opinion, this is the best tester. It even has the 15GP22 listed in the tube chart!

zenithfan1
12-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I think I'd go the used CR70 route. If you own several old TV's or plan on owning more old TV's in the future, the CR70 would pay for itself. It wouldn't take many trips to the TV shop to eat up what a used CR70 would cost. I believe the CR70 cost over a grand when it was new. I suspect there will be many quality CRT testers available for a very reasonable price in the near future since CRT's are being phased out.

Hey Bryan, I just took the time to read your post, you are right. It did cost about a grand when new. I too recommend anyone that needs a tester to get this one or a Beltron, those are the only ones I put full faith in. I bought mine from a retired tv repairman on ebay. I was the high bidder with the reserve not met, I emailed him and said I really needed it, he said he wanted it to go to good use and relisted it for me with a buy it now of 70 bucks, 5 bucks more than my highest bid but worth every penny. All in all it was under 100 bucks including shipping. I once tried to damage a dead CRT with it just to test out what I can and can't do with it, I didn't want to damage any round color tubes on accident or anything else rare for that matter. It turns out that it won't let it's self damage a CRT, it will shut down and stop restoring or rejuvenating, it keeps track of how much the tube will emit and then won't go any further. The tube I tried to ruin actually came back and still works! The one in my CTC-53 won't rejuvenate because of the lack of cathode material. One amazing tester I think.

Kiwick
12-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I have the same set, mine is an European PAL KV1300, with a wooden cabinet, sadly mine has a zillion hours (the CRT is still useable though) and a badly messed up IF panel for which i can't find a schematic.

dr.ido
12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
I had a version of the KV13xx as a child that I have never seen another one like it. It had the wooden cabinet and the patent avoiding PAL->NTSC circuit with tint control (so it was pre-1975 and likely a private import, Australian market sets didn't show up until 1975 and all had real PAL decoders). What made it unusual was it had an AV input. At the time even most new sets didn't have AV inputs. Below the "auto" switch on the front panel was an additional switch "TV/VTR". On the back was an 8 pin EIAJ connector (which also carried video out from the tuner). I'm sure this was from the factory and not an aftermarket modification as the recess for the connector was molded into the back panel, not cut after manufacture. It was probably originaly supplied with a Sony reel to reel VTR.

It developed a weird vertical foldover fault that was beyond me at the time so I took it to the local repair shop. They claimed that it needed special order parts and offered me some generic 14" set in exchange. I told them I'd wait. Months past and they went out of business taking my Sony with them. In hindsight I'm sure he repaired it and kept it for himself. Unlike most early Sonys even then (1990) it had a perfect CRT.

I'm not sure what the exact model number was, or where it orignally came from (I got it at a flea market. I've never seen another one like it and consider it one of my "holy grail" sets.

AndrewM
12-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Kiwick, I have the schematic for the KV-1310E if thats of any use. I believe the IF strip is the much the same as the KV-1300 as a quick check shows the KV-1800AS and KV-1810E are very close.

Kiwick
12-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I probably just need to know the value of a resistor and the type of a transistor as i have a dead IF panel with a crappy repair on it (it's got a resistor replaced with a trimpot and a transistor replaced with a random low frequency type)

I'll take it out of my actic ASAP...

Kiwick
12-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok, i have the sony on my bench with its back off right now!

The transistor is Q209 and the replaced trimpot is VR201 (i though it replaced a resistor, i've last worked on this set about 4 years ago)

This set displays a really bad, blurry, unstable picture and the sound has loud intercarrier buzz, after a few minutes both picture and sound start to drift in and out then it finally ends up with a blank raster and no sound.

AndrewM
12-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Little wonder you have reception issues as Q209 forms part of the RF AGC circuit for the VHF tuner. The correct part should be a 2SC677. The base of this transistor goes to VR201 wiper which is a 470 ohm trimpot to adjust VHF Tuner AGC level. The trimpot ends connect via R207 560 ohm to 18v IF panel supply and the other end goes to a centre tap on VIF transformer 2.

Voltages on the transistor should be:
Base 15v (11v with signal)
Collector 12v
Emitter 0v (4.9v with signal)

Hope this helps.

Kiwick
12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
i've fitted a 2SC677 but it seems to make no difference, the picture and sound keeps drifting in and out as the set warms up

Time for a full recap on the IF panel, right?