View Full Version : Vintage TVs in Hellboy 2

Arkay
08-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Today I happened to see the movie "Hellboy 2: The Golden Army". There is a lot of "steampunk" influenced stuff among the props in the movie, but there was also a scene or two in it where Hellboy is watching televisions... yes, that is plural; he has at least a dozen, perhaps 20 televisions, each tuned to a different station featuring him on the news.

What riveted me was that each TV was different, and each one was vintage, to varying degrees. I'd say forty years of television history was represented in that scene!

I caught a glimpse of a Phillips Discoverer, which was easy to recognize because I have owned several (still have a couple), and what looked like a small/mini Predicta, slightly football shaped. I know I've seen that one before, but can't remember the model, and some others that were very familiar-looking but I couldn't study them long enough to make positive IDs on them. I'm sure some of the experts here who know TVs much better than I do would identify more of them than I could/did.

Have any of you seen that movie and ID'd the televisions in that scene? I think it is too new (still in theaters) to be out on DVD, but after it comes out a screen capture should allow IDs on them all. I thought it was cool that they assembled all those TVs for that scene, and wonder who supplied them and what happened to them after the movie was shot.

Anyone know more? If you are a vintage TV nut, it might be worth seeing the movie just for that scene or two where the TVs are shown! :D

mr_fixer
08-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I'd say that Harry Poster knows, he is a member of AK and rents tv's as working props."they might be his"