View Full Version : ETF Convention photos

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:03 PM
I will follow this with another dozen photos from the convention trying to highlight the best of the best and a short description of each photo. I am putting this in the color section because the theme seemed to be the CBS and mechanical color. All other specialties are here also.

This could take a bit at dial-up, so have patience.

And now, the photos!

First is the RCA TRK row from the museum collection.

Dave A

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:07 PM
This is a group photo of all of the owners of RCA Model 5 (Rose Bowl) color sets. Ed Reitan, noted RCA color broadcasting expert, is in the middle with the dark shirt. He gave a splendid introduction to the push behind the CBS mechanical color system.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Dave Johnson explains the Western Television "Visionette" mechanical set. He had a mechanical reproduction camera (behind the display) operating on a turntable model (a' la Felix) to put an image on the screen.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Darryl Hock shows the unnumbered 1938 GE prototype set. Note the 7 pushbuttons for channels. One more than later production models. You can also see the diagonal cut on the back of the chassis pan that is unexplainable considering the cabinet. It also had several RCA television experimenter parts. The yoke was clearly the same as a TRK from the era.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Steve McVoy describes the GE "Octagon" mechanical reproducer atop it's receiver.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Darryl Hock is back with his display of RCA TT-5 dealer advertising showcards and hangtags.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Chuck Pharis, noted broadcast equipment collector, shows off what is believed to be the original pencil and watercolor artwork for the RCA "Indianhead". This was rescued from the top of a dumpster full of RCA documentation. Pure luck that this was found. Chuck also had the followup artwork for the full test pattern. Check his website in the following weeks for posting of these documents.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Chuck Azalina stands with his Philco 15" color engineering prototype. You may have seen his previous postings on the travails of restoring this set. It stayed behind at the museum for display. This set was based on a previous Philco B&W set and modified for color. Chuck had no references for the circuit and had to draw the circuit on his computer by tracing every wire and component. It appears to be an all Philco design with no RCA circuits involved. The CRT is a Sylvania badged prototype and is in good condition.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Darryl Hock stands in front of the display of the three variants of mechanical color sets. The grey beast is the Grey Research studio color monitor that Steve McVoy has restored, next is the CBS color set from John Folsom, and farthest right is the aftermarket Col-R-Tel color converter from Dave Johnson.

Darryl is holding the "NTSC to whatever" converter he and others have developed to generate pictures on sets with obsolete formats. The range goes from the earliest mechanical standards to the oddest color.

It is a prototype at the moment.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:52 PM
A screen shot from the Col-R-Tel color converter. It is running on a B&W monitor Dave has adapted for use with the wheel and is fed from a DVD.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Another screen shot from the Grey Research monitor. The distortion at the top and bottom is from a temporary magnifier lens. The blueish tint is correctable via the scan converter depending on the set it is used on. This unit was set for the CBS set for the demo as they were all on the same video feed.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 08:00 PM
John Folsom standing in front of his CBS set. You can use the set as a purely B&W set by hand clearing the color filters out of the way, or switch it to CBS color. This set is reported to have come from the home of William Paley.

Dave A
04-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Color bars on the CBS set. It was amazing how flicker-free to the eye the Grey and CBS sets were. The Col-R-Tel was noticeable but not objectionable considering the conversion process they used.

This is the end of the photos. Post replies as you wish.

Dave A

Cory
04-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Unbelievable! I guess I know where I'll be next year :)

How often do they fire up the sets they have on hand? I'm contemplating heading that way later in May just to see the collection (something I've been wanting to do for a long time) and would love to see at least one piece of impressionable equipment doing its thing.

Cory

heathkit tv
04-26-2004, 11:44 PM
That Indian head that Chuck is holding reminded me of an idea that I've had brewing for a while now.......seeing as I'm into Indian motorcycles, a copy of this for my bike would combine 2 of my favorites! Whadya think?

Anthony

Eric H
04-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Thank you for the great pictures Dave! Wish I could've been there.

rca2000
04-26-2004, 11:57 PM
One of the RCA pre-war sets, (a tt-5 or something similar, ) was running, as were some of the other pre-war sets. suddenly, the raster disappeared. It was shut off quickly, but not fast enough. smoke started to come out of it. the power transformer was VERY hot. (high voltage winding?). So, the sets are on mainly when there are people watching them, and KEEPING AN EYE ON THEM to prevent this kind of thing from happening!

Charlie
04-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Those photos are amazing! Thank you for sharing them!

One of these days, we should contact The History Channel and put together a program for the history of TV. Especially considering how much TV has changed in the past few years.

Chad Hauris
04-27-2004, 06:15 AM
If you go to the musuem they will turn on any sets you want to see...I think they are usually kept off to conserve their life till someone wants to see them work.

Sandy G
04-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Awww, man !! It must have been GREAT being there !! Next year....-Sandy G.

jasonlava
04-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Dave A
Chuck Azalina stands with his Philco 15" color engineering prototype. You may have seen his previous postings on the travails of restoring this set. It stayed behind at the museum for display. This set was based on a previous Philco B&W set and modified for color. Chuck had no references for the circuit and had to draw the circuit on his computer by tracing every wire and component. It appears to be an all Philco design with no RCA circuits involved. The CRT is a Sylvania badged prototype and is in good condition.

OMG and the perfect movie too! Wizard Of Oz!

Awesome pics!

Steve D.
04-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks Dave,

The photos are spectactular. I'm still comming down off the vintage tv high I experienced at the convention.:p:

Unimatic1140
04-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Wow, those photos are fantastic! Looks like I might have to make a trip to the convention next year. I really like the cardboard RCA poster/arrow.

Dave S
05-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Dave, your photos are outstanding. My camera was on the fritz and all my snapshots came out looking like early color TV after the owners had "adjusted" the picture! Thanks for making yours available.