View Full Version : Sony KV-4100 questions

ha1156w
08-06-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm trying to "resurrect" an old KV-4100 3.7" TV with radio and microcassette. Got the TV to give a beautiful picture, but there remain a couple of mechanical gremlins I'm not sure how to address.

The stand for the TV pops out with the help of the button on the side, but there doesn't seem to be anything that keeps the stand from popping out of the base if lifted. Is mine missing some sort of retainer? I can't see where one would have mounted or what means it keeps it from pulling out of the lower half if tilted too much.

The tape deck needed the normal belts of course, but I got flummoxed by a gear around the capstan which drives the mechanism to change transport functions. The plastic split along the radius. I understand this is a common problem with this model? What can I do to obtain a replacement? I attempted to epoxy it back together but I'm not sure if it's supposed to fricton-slip while on the capstan -- there's no apparent clutch mechanism. Should it rotate all the time with the capstan? Is this mechanism used in another model I might be able to canibalize for parts?

Thank you!

colorfixer
08-08-2008, 12:37 AM
This gear is similar to the ones used in certain line of pro walkmans of the era.

The plastic shrinks, and since it surrounded a metal disc, the plastic fractures. Since the plastic shrunk, there's no real method of repairing this.

It is slipping now because there is no bonding between the plastic and the metal disc, plus the plastic has probably stretched now as well.

I used to have a machine shop fab a replacement gear out of aluminum.