View Full Version : Later Electrohome color TV curbside find

electroking
08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
I picked an Electrohome color TV set on the curbside on Sunday,
apparently from the early eighties with two detent tuners, UHF
stops at 69, 300- and 75-ohm inputs for VHF and 300-ohm only for
UHF. It's a 19-inch unit, made in Singapore, model 48CC41.
Does anyone have info about this?

After a two-day quarantine period on the back seat of my car,
I carelessly plugged it in. It works very well on UHF with the small
loop, but gets nothing at all on VHF, while I have four strong VHF
local stations. I suspect a busted RF stage, possibly from lightning
or something the like. Any other ideas?

(Getting a digital camera is part of my projects, so no pictures yet.
Sorry.)

mr_fixer
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I never knew electrohome made regular tv's, the only ones i have seen are projection sets. I'm guessing that it was made for the home Canadian market?

electroking
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Electrohome made regular TVs from 1952 to about 1972, then they became the
Canadian marketing arm for JVC, selling rebranded Japan made sets, and after
a few years the Electrohome name floated from one distributor to another, and
was put on progressively lower quality imports. I recently purchased a brand
new DVD/VCR combination (to be able to watch DVDs on my old TVs without
video input) and the box proudly boasts 'Celebrating 100 years of Electrohome
in Canada', although the unit is made in China and is a far cry from an earlier
Toshiba unit. Electrohome started out in 1908 as a furniture manufacturer.

I also have two 'real' Electrohome B/W TVs, both 21-inch units, from 1956
and 1960. Getting back to my color TV, it appears to be from the early-post-JVC
period. I hope some fellow Canadian collectors can tell me more about it, the
model number yields nothing in Google. Good night.

P.S.: some Electrohome sets were sold in the U.S., and are listed in Sam's.

P.P.S.: just have a look at this link and search the word Electrohome for two
typical 'real Electrohome TVs' (one branded for a well known department store).

http://www.civilisations.ca/hist/tv/tv01eng.html

veg-o-matic
08-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I think. This is a still from the latest Hairspray movie. Since it was shot in Toronto, I'm guessing these are Canadian sets. Can anyone identify 'em?

veg

electroking
08-08-2008, 12:51 PM
One of my earliest threads dealt with just that topic. The set with six vertical
sections in the speaker grille is exactly like mine, model Tampico from 1960.
My parents bought it for 360 bucks in August, 1961, which was about 15% of
what they would pay the next year for a brand new 1962 Chevy Bel Air six.
Anyone else has this TV?

Electrohome
12-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Electrohome was founded and establised in 1907 in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. They also patented and invented the first hornless phonograph and produced furniture under the "Deilcraft" name as well in Kitchener as well as radios, airconditioners and small appliances.

Electrohome
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I have a circa 1965-66ish model Electrohome TV with curved legs, a 23-inch screen and it has 6 spindles in front of the speaker just like that 1960 model. It's a B&W set. I have ever only just seen that one-don't have any pictures at the moment:sigh:

gravitar
12-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Electrohome was founded and establised in 1907 in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. They also patented and invented the first hornless phonograph and produced furniture under the "Deilcraft" name as well in Kitchener as well as radios, airconditioners and small appliances.

They're also well-known among arcade game collectors and operators for their monitors. I also know of at least one Allen-Bradley industrial computer product that had a built-in Electrohome monochrome VGA monitor..

jfrog1983
12-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I had no idea Electrohome was once a good brand name, now it's just a cheaply made products brandname, a hollow shell of a name...:tears:

bolly
12-20-2008, 11:54 AM
offtopicalert:

jfrog1983, bite your tongue! :)

Between 1957 and 59, Electrohome assembled what is probably the rarest/best commercially made KT66 monobloc on the planet! Of course I'm biased though... check my avatar for this 10watt, almost 40lb beast! :D

zenith2134
12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
E-home was once a great product, as bolly has stated. :thmbsp::music:

Electrohome
12-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Hello, I never knew Electohome also made monitors for arcade cabinets as well. Arcade cabinets are the game consoles you see at the arcades and they come in the following configurations-
Stand-Up cabinet-this is the classical-style cabinet that the player
stands up at to play the host game
**very common and well remebered at many arcades**
Table/Cocktail cabinet-the player sits down to play the host game with table
top controls and the monitor is built into the table.
**also, 2-player versions of this cabinet as well for
2 players**
Sit-Down cabinet-this is the upright cabinet provided with a seat for the
to sit down for many hours of play of the host game
Specialized cabinets-arcade cabinets with specialized controls-ie: a car racing
game with a seat and simulated car controls for
an almost authentic expercience for the player
is one example of such a cabinet.
Host game-this is the video game that the arcade cabinet was designed for/video game that's currently in that particular cabinet.
Yep, Electrohome also made Vector-type monitors too for arcade cabinets.
VideoPower, it's the 1980's again:yes:-Totally Warp Dude:thmbsp:

radiotvnut
12-20-2008, 10:49 PM
In '95, I spent a little time at the state run rehab f/t blind for some training. I remember seeing one large (21"-25") screen Electrohome color monitor connected to a camera that was designed to enlarge printed material. And, I'm way down here in Mississippi!

colorfixer
12-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Electrohome color monitors were a favorite of Midway. Many of their games, such as Pacman, Tron, Satan's Hollow, etc. all had these monitors.

They'd use whatever manufacturer that could supply both the lowest cost, and at the height of the video game boom, stock at the right time. Electrohome, along with Wells Gardner (which I'd swear used Toshiba boards) were the suppliers of choice.

Take a close look at a "GO7" circuit board, and you will see a circular JVC logo screened on the board.

I always found it interesting that Electrohome frequently used RCA 19VJTP22 tubes on these monitors, and many JVC 19" tvs I've ran across, assembled in north america also had these tubes.

The monochrome vector monitors were actually a contract build for Atari and Electrohome's only color vector monitor, the G08 was built for Sega.

Hello, I never knew Electohome also made monitors for arcade cabinets as well. Arcade cabinets are the game consoles you see at the arcades and they come in the following configurations-
Stand-Up cabinet-this is the classical-style cabinet that the player
stands up at to play the host game
**very common and well remebered at many arcades**
Table/Cocktail cabinet-the player sits down to play the host game with table
top controls and the monitor is built into the table.
**also, 2-player versions of this cabinet as well for
2 players**
Sit-Down cabinet-this is the upright cabinet provided with a seat for the
to sit down for many hours of play of the host game
Specialized cabinets-arcade cabinets with specialized controls-ie: a car racing
game with a seat and simulated car controls for
an almost authentic expercience for the player
is one example of such a cabinet.
Host game-this is the video game that the arcade cabinet was designed for/video game that's currently in that particular cabinet.
Yep, Electrohome also made Vector-type monitors too for arcade cabinets.
VideoPower, it's the 1980's again:yes:-Totally Warp Dude:thmbsp:

zenith2134
12-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Hey, colorfixer. There are some really nice G08 videos and articles floating around the 'net. Vector monitors have always been very interesting to me.

I've seen a load of old arcade games like Midway, Capcom, etc... which were using RCA 19VJTP22s as well as Ehome or WG-branded JTP22s which definitely may have been RCA. These things were run hard, for long periods of time. Most arcades I've been to in the past 20 years had at the very least, one or two older games with this type of monitor which still worked. It wasn't very long ago that these tubes were plentiful and every TV shop on the corner could come down to swap the tube. Panasonic TVs seemed to use them a lot in the 1980-1984 time frame.

colorfixer
12-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Yah, I remember those days, when a simple 19" CRT was easily had. Nowadays, they're like unobtainium. I have some RCA tubes in my games that are nearing 30 years old, and although the screens are burned to hell, recapping the monitor board cleans dim picture and focus issues that you'd think were down to a weak tube.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has sucessfully subbed a chinese tube into an older monitor with good convergence/purity.

I remember the days when Panasonic quietly went to RCA tubes in their 26 inch "component" TV's. The first was a silver round corner monitor/tv with OSD from about 81-82 that was the rage around the time when Sony sold the profeel.

I've tried using tubes from orion and chungwa built sets that seem to mount well and will light up, but with the yoke from the G07 (or WG49K) they just won't converge or run with proper purity. Using the yoke from the tv, you just get really bad pincushioning.

The G08 was a monster. The design criterion simply was to avoid Atari's patents (and lawyers) on the spot killer circuit at all costs. By doing this, they over-engineered the thing to the point where it was made to self destruct, especially if there were any grounding issues between the components of the game. Stories of the monitor going to flame were no exaggerations.

Tom_Ryan
12-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Electrohome also made a portable Electrostatic Air Cleaner for home use. All steel construction. About the size of a 19" portable TV. I have 3 of them, all bought new in the late 60's early 70's. The HT circuits uses a 2KV transformer and a voltage doubler to achieve about 5.5.KV that drives the electrostatic collecor cell. I got them to control dust and airborne pollen around the house - very effective for reducing allergy symptoms. The FAN motors are of exceptional quality. With regualr service and cleaning of the cell these units outperform airpurifiers available today on the market. Mine are still running strong.

zenith2134
12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't know about the air filters but they sure sound like a good product.

Back to the arcade machines, Is any manufacturer still making X-Y monitors (b&w or color) ? I strongly doubt it but that would be cool. I'm not a collector but would like to be.

Anyone remember US Billiards' Quasar game? That was a X-Y, wasn't it? EDIT: did some research and it was definitely a raster-scanned game. Must have been thinking of something else.

gravitar
12-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey, colorfixer. There are some really nice G08 videos and articles floating around the 'net. Vector monitors have always been very interesting to me.

I've seen a load of old arcade games like Midway, Capcom, etc... which were using RCA 19VJTP22s as well as Ehome or WG-branded JTP22s which definitely may have been RCA. These things were run hard, for long periods of time. Most arcades I've been to in the past 20 years had at the very least, one or two older games with this type of monitor which still worked. It wasn't very long ago that these tubes were plentiful and every TV shop on the corner could come down to swap the tube. Panasonic TVs seemed to use them a lot in the 1980-1984 time frame.

And those RCA tubes were the absolute WORST for arcade games.. 10 minutes in attract mode and the tube's marked for life!

gravitar
12-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Don't know about the air filters but they sure sound like a good product.

Back to the arcade machines, Is any manufacturer still making X-Y monitors (b&w or color) ? I strongly doubt it but that would be cool. I'm not a collector but would like to be.

Anyone remember US Billiards' Quasar game? That was a X-Y, wasn't it? EDIT: did some research and it was definitely a raster-scanned game. Must have been thinking of something else.

X-Y games got a bad reputation early on for poor reliability and were a flop, commercially. By '83-84 everyone stopped making them and it is highly doubtful that there would have been any monitor production after that.

zenith2134
12-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah, from what I've read, I'd have to agree. So many articles and websites dedicated to the restoration/repair of these old beasts. I read someplace that arcade operators just stopped buying the vector games because it was far from economical (or profitable) to maintain them.

In theory, they are fascinating displays, though!

newhallone
12-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Wasn't the original Star Wars one of these? When empire came out they changed some over to the Empire Game. Star Wars was one of my favorite games. there was the stand up and a sit down version. I once played a rip off version that had a reverse lever. LOL

gravitar
12-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, from what I've read, I'd have to agree. So many articles and websites dedicated to the restoration/repair of these old beasts. I read someplace that arcade operators just stopped buying the vector games because it was far from economical (or profitable) to maintain them.

In theory, they are fascinating displays, though!

It was the only way to get a high-resolution display back then. I think the Lunar Lander manual said the screen's resolution was 1024 x 768.. Not too shabby for 1978!

gravitar
12-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Wasn't the original Star Wars one of these? When empire came out they changed some over to the Empire Game. Star Wars was one of my favorite games. there was the stand up and a sit down version. I once played a rip off version that had a reverse lever. LOL

Yup, those are both color vector games.. Highly sought after today!