View Full Version : CTC-9 or 10? on ebay in MO

andy
07-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Sandy G
07-23-2008, 09:50 AM
"Consul"...Good grief ! "Hit's one o' them there now new-fangled "COLORED" tellervishuns, Maw, a "Consul" modle, at that !..."

Jeffhs
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
"Consul"...Good grief ! "Hit's one o' them there now new-fangled "COLORED" tellervishuns, Maw, a "Consul" modle, at that !..."

I see the word "console" misspelled in eBay item descriptions every once in a while. Some people cannot spell, I guess, and leave the spell-check function disabled when they write the descriptions of what they are selling. If they leave the spell-check on, they may not know the significance of the red lines under the misspelled words, so they ignore it and post the listing anyhow, misspellings and all.

On the other hand, I saw a "Consul Deluxe" table radio on one of the antique radio websites a few years ago; the name did not appear to be a misspelling. This may have been a private label for some Japanese radio manufacturer in the 1960s. The radio I saw with that name on it looked bad, with mismatched knobs, etc.; whether or not it worked, I don't know.

I have never yet, however, in over 40 years of electronics experimenting, seen a television set, color or b&w, with the word "Consul" anywhere on the cabinet or chassis, though I have seen TVs, VCRs, DVDs and such with some weird manufacturers' names on the cabinets: Acesonic, Afreey, Anaba, Axion, Hiteker, Humax, Haaz, etc. (The names I just listed are from a list of setup codes for a General Electric universal TV/VCR/cable/DVD remote, but I'm sure they appear on today's Korean, Chinese, etc. manufactured TVs and stereos these days as well.)

kbmuri
07-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Here's one o' them COLORED tellervishuns now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SEARS-COLORED-TELEVISION-RETRO_W0QQitemZ230273995862QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3638 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John Marinello
07-23-2008, 01:28 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SEARS-COLORED-TELEVISION-RETRO_W0QQitemZ230273995862QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3638 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know my avitar may suggest otherwise, but I've never had anything against "colored" televisions...

veg-o-matic
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM

I believe the term now is "Polychrome American" :D

veg

Sandy G
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
I KNOW I shouldn't poke fun of people who kant spel an donet yuse gud punkshooashun, butt SUMTIEMZ yew jus kant hep itt..Especially since so many of 'em seem to congregate on Da Bay...

bgadow
07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I believe the term now is "Polychrome American" :D

veg

I like that...I think if I were to go into the TV business, that's what I'd call my product-sounds important. "Come see the new POLYCHROME-AMERICAN!"

ChrisW6ATV
07-25-2008, 07:37 PM
"Polychrome" sounds just like a cheap TV brand, or a feature name you would have seen on store-brand sets. "S. S. Kresge featuring exclusive Polychrome circuitry", and a logo on the front of the TV.