View Full Version : ProScan PS60690 - No picture or sound

SNeal
07-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I was given a ProScan PS60690 CTC188 series last week. It was working at the local country club, and then stopped, so they gave it to me to fix and keep. (I am their electrical contractor). It is a nice set in very good condition as it was dusted and polished daily by the cleaning people. It probably has run more than a household set, as it was on all day in the lounge, 6-days a week.

When I first turned it on, the power light on the console blinks three times and there was a clicking sound from inside. Researching the problem online, many people have the same problem I am coming to find out. I believe this set has a simple problem, and it seems such a waste to discard a beautiful TV because 1 or 2 simple components have failed. Being an electrical contractor, I believe I can repair this TV, but I have no experience in television repair.

I have replaced the HV splitter with a new 25064 from Tri-State Module. When I removed the old splitter, the ends of the wires were burnt or bent over and one was curled... as though they had been pushed in too far. I trimmed away the bad leads and skinned the leads exposing new wire. I pushed the wires into the new splitter until they touched bottom, marked how far they went in on the wire coating with a pen, then pulled the wire back out and placed the holding cap in place and re-inserted the wires.

Now when I turn on the set, I can hear a sound that is like the CRT's trying to fire up. A little green light mounted to the circuit board of each CRT glows temporarily as it is trying to fire. Each tube has the green light, and each green light comes on, indicating as though the tube is trying to light, but nothing happens. It tries to start I think 3 times then quits.

I have visually examined the circuit boards and see nothing that "looks" burnt. All the resistors look nice.

I know I am missing something here, but have no clue. If I can get some input and guidance as to what to look for, and how to make the repairs, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Eric H
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Moved this to RT&SS because you have a better chance of getting an answer to your problem