View Full Version : Stromberg Carlson in Detroit

Bill Cahill
07-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi, Guys. I'm bidding on this tv. A friend of mine has agreed to pick it up for me, and, bring it next time he drives to Fl. to vitsit, and, do business. Could be in two weeks.
Wish me good luck.
Hope I get it. Hey. Is this the dreaded combination horizontal vertical sandwitch chassis???? Sam's doesn't list that model no.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill
07-23-2008, 07:39 PM
What!! No pictures??? Here's a link. I won it today..... :banana:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200239582328
Bill Cahill :D

newhallone
07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Nice set! I like it. I had those same tiles in my townhouse apt I lived in a couple years ago on the ex-K.I. Sawyer Air Force base. Some one put them in the basement. About a month ago I bought a 1959 issue of Life and there was an Ad for that same tile. Crazy!

Eric H
07-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Nice one Bill, I would like to have it!
Looks like the same chassis as the TC-10 model, I wonder if it also has the Zoom feature?

Edit:
I guess it wouldn't since it's not a porthole.

wa2ise
07-24-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57672&d=1187221546

My grandma had a Stromberg Carlson TV, partially visible above. It had a continuous tuner, with a low-vhf high-vhf band switch (activated by a ring behind the tuning knob). From what I remember from 40 years ago, it looked like your tuner knob. But it must be a later model, with the rectangular CRT.

Bill Cahill
07-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Mine is the 50 model. Your Grand ma ma's was the 51 model. Virtually the same chassis.
Her's was rectangular.
I don't believe this chassis has a zoom feature on it.
I dread rebuilding it.
It's a "chassis from hell" to work on....
But, I look forward to getting it, anyway..... :D
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill
07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, my friend in Michigan is going to pick it up Friday for me.
When he drives to Florida on business, he will be bringing both the Stromberg Carlson, and, I 1950 16" round console Motorola I won on ebay for next to nothing last year along with him.....
Bill Cahill

wa2ise
07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
I vaguely remember, on my grandma's set above, that the horiz output tube had a circular spiral spring like thing around its middle. Don't know what it was there for. Think it was made of steel, possibly magnetic.

Mine is the 50 model. Your Grand ma ma's was the 51 model. Virtually the same chassis.
Hers was rectangular.
I don't believe this chassis has a zoom feature on it.

I'm pretty sure my grandma's set had no zoom feature.

Old1625
08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I vaguely remember, on my grandma's set above, that the horiz output tube had a circular spiral spring like thing around its middle. Don't know what it was there for. Think it was made of steel, possibly magnetic.

I'm pretty sure my grandma's set had no zoom feature.

That ring around the output tube was placed there because of a complaint of Barkhausen oscillations in the tube. One or more undesired vertical black lines would show up on the screen--usually on the left side. Generally replacement of the horizontal output tube was indicated, but some TV repairmen had luck in suppressing these spurious oscillations by attaching a "beam bender" magnet array usually applied to a CRT neck on earlier sets. The bender ring would be turned around and up and down the envelope of the HOT until the undesired lines--sometimes called "snivets" by the trade--would disappear.

electroking
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
What I like about this set is the generic patents list, referring to Armstrong patents
'only if frequency modulation'. I guess the same label was used on AM radios.