View Full Version : Free RCA Console TV

joeseattle70
07-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Did I say free?....I have a 1971 RCA Console TV which I desire to go to a good, new home. It does have a rebuilt tube (installed last December), but has a convergence problem (one coil won't adjust anything), so it might be a coil or something else. It is model number GP-796, and chassis CTC-44A.

I don't have the resources (knowledge, time or space) to keep working on this set, so I would like it to go to someone who will enjoy it, or use it for scrap parts. The tuner, chassis and controls all work just fine.

If you are interested, or have questions - let me know - I am in the Seattle area.

Thanks,

Joe

Rental Limo
07-15-2008, 05:45 AM
That is a beautiful set! I hope it finds a good home.

bgadow
07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Sorry you'll have to give it up-I was following your progress and hoping you could work things out. The parts are out there but can take some looking and maybe some improvising.

drh4683
07-16-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm surprized to read this. You spoke very highly of this TV. Did you try those NTE-116 diodes? I was offering to fix the convergence panel for you if you still wish to do so. Let me know. Don't give up on it.

roundscreen
07-18-2008, 08:30 AM
The picture on your set looks really good so you must be doing something right.
It takes time to learn how to fix vintage sets. Keep it.
Ed

mr_fixer
07-18-2008, 09:29 AM
That was the same tv chassis we had when i was growing up. we had a smaller plainer cabinet, but i remember the paddle power switch and the section that rocked forward to adjust tint, color level, tone and other things. I saw a whole lot of Saturday morning cartoons on that set. I wish Seattle and Gallatin weren't >2000 miles away. Logan

joeseattle70
07-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi -

Thanks to many of you who have offered tips and even assistance (Doug). The picture is of it with the old tube before it was changed - it's not so great right now.

I am getting help this coming week to see what can be done to save it - for the first time in years, it will be put on professional diagnostic equipment (scope, etc) - if that is a dead end, I really hate to throw in the towel - I just don't have the resources, tools or knowledge to fix it's latest round of problems, and would rather do it justice to give it to someone in the forum who would appreciate it as much as I have.

If I don't get anywhere with it, I will let you know. Thanks for challenging me to not give up - I think I needed a swift kick to keep my chin up.

Thanks all! Joe

roundscreen
07-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi
I am just going to throw some ideas at you in hopes it might help when you take your set to the man to get repaired.
The coil you are having problems with, Check and see if one of the thin wires running from the body of the coil to the base where it is mounted to the board is broken. I have run into that many times. Heat can cause it to expand and the wire breaks. Look for a bad pot on the convergence board. It can fool you into thinking a coil is bad but the pot may be open and the convergence will not respond no matter what you do. Look for bad connections, {RCA is good for that.} It is a pita, But just re solder all the connections on the convergence board. Check the convergence coils on the picture tube. Make sure none of them are open. Double check the diodes like what was mentioned in this thread.
If you have the chassis out of the set you might as well check all the connections on the other boards in the chassis too. look for heat stress, cracks and broken grounds.
Good luck with your set, The cabinet is really cool
Ed