View Full Version : Ebay Ad...Lot Of Vintage Electronics

Oldstuff78
06-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I saw this interesting ad for a lot being sold in Kansas City. There is some newer stuff, but there is also some vintage pieces. It mentions a Zenith Console TV, but it is turned where you can't see it. I doubt it's old enought to be a Roundie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Electronics-Projectors-TVs-Mixed-Lot_W0QQitemZ230265901484QQihZ013QQcategoryZ29833Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

drh4683
06-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Zenith console color TVs up to 1972 will have a dark grey back cover. That set is probably a system 3 from early-mid 80's there.

wkand
06-28-2008, 09:55 PM
The projector in the ad is interesting as well (turquoise color). It appears to be what is known as an opaque projector. They were typically used in schools to be able to project images from books and magazines directly, without having to make a transparency. They were very handy in classrooms and I'm not sure why they want out of style as fast as they did.

Oldstuff78
06-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I noticed that old school electronics were mostly turquoise in color. Projectors, record players, etc......I also noticed another trend in vintage electronics was a linen look pattern embossed in the plastic.....Ahh the 60's......wish I could have been there.

I didn't know that about the back covers on Zenith sets. I don't ever see old 60's sets that much around here. I'm lucky to have that 69 Sylvania

I thought I was going to be getting a 65 Zenith Roundie, but that seems to went up in smoke.

nasadowsk
06-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Those projectors weren't popular because they were big, heavy, dim, and cooked the books better than a crooked accountant. A regular overhead was small, light, brighter, and if you toasted a transparency (and you normally didn't...), it wasn't that bad.

We also had tan (Singer - gah) projectors, the ubiquitous DuKane filmstrip ones (gray, white), and dark gray Rheem Caliphone record players. The latter were interesting as a lot of them at my elementry were tube, even circa the mid-late 80's.

bgadow
06-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I have an opaque projector up in the attic. Appears to be missing something as it won't focus in on anything. I always thought they were a neat device. I wonder if they could be modified into a projection TV?

Just a couple weeks ago I hauled home a truckload of stuff from the local elementary school. (posted it in the photo section here, without any real interest) They cleared out the A/V room of all the projection equipment and now it's mine. Tons of DuKane & Viewlex filmstrip projectors, some desktop strip viewers, and 3 good 16mm sound projectors. (Elmo, Viewlex & Singer) The Singer surprised me as I thought it would be junk but it's actually very smooth running and user friendly. I didn't need any of that but it was me or the dumpster. I asked about the old U-matics and that sort of stuff, but they are apparently long gone.

zenithfan1
06-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I thought I was going to be getting a 65 Zenith Roundie, but that seems to went up in smoke.

Don't worry Chris, I'm taking care of that roundie for you, if Tom doesn't want to deliver it, I will go get it with my truck {for a small fee because of the gas}. Once it is at my house I can give you an estimate. It would not be fair to quote a price until I check it out. I'm calling Tom today. I will let you know asap! :D

Oldstuff78
06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Zenith thanks for getting back to me on this. I will try to phone you tomorrow.