View Full Version : Unstable tint Zenith CCII

Tugboat
06-26-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm back with another request for some help. A number of people here are responsible for helping me fix my TV a couple months ago, and now I'm hoping you can do it once again.

Where would I start looking for a problem with unstable tint? When watching the set, every now and then (sometimes a lot more often), the tint will bounch between being more greenish to more red and then finally back to what it was set for. I have all active controls turned off.

Thanks!

radiotvnut
06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
It could be a dirty chromatic/color sentry switch or the preset controls could be dirty. The preset controls should be on the back of the active controls and they are usually adjustable through a hole in the shaft. A good cleaning with Deoxit should take care of it.

There could also be loose module contacts. This was a common problem on these sets. Pull the Chroma module and resolder all the terminals where it plugs into the chassis. Clean the contacts on both the module and the chassis with Deoxit and an old toothbrush. Reinsert the module, making sure it's seated correctly and that the little plastic clips are holding it in place.

Carmine
06-26-2008, 04:17 PM
If a good slap changes anything, I agree with what's written below.

There could also be loose module contacts. This was a common problem on these sets. Pull the Chroma module and resolder all the terminals where it plugs into the chassis. Clean the contacts on both the module and the chassis with Deoxit and an old toothbrush. Reinsert the module, making sure it's seated correctly and that the little plastic clips are holding it in place.

Tugboat
06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
It could be a dirty chromatic/color sentry switch or the preset controls could be dirty. The preset controls should be on the back of the active controls and they are usually adjustable through a hole in the shaft. A good cleaning with Deoxit should take care of it.

Well I wen through the controls and nother done to them had an impact on the tint shift problem. My next attempt will be the chroma board.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Tugboat
06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
If a good slap changes anything, I agree with what's written below.

I'm from the school of thought that says if it acts up, try a smack and see if things change. If they don't, it's a bit bigger than a loose connection.

I have smacked the sides a couple of times to see if it affects the picture and it doesn't. My next attempt will be to tap on the board itself. If that doesn't work, it could be heat related.

Thanks!

dtuomi
06-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Mine used to do the same thing. I even mentioned it in another post and someone mentioned that it was dirty contacts in one of the modules.

David