View Full Version : 1969 Magnavox combo

captainmoody
04-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Got this one from Doug a couple of months ago, (The shipper finally got it here yesterday.) He has continually amazed me at what nice clean original sets he can find! For free also!!
Got it working today after several tubes and a bunch of resoldered connections on the IF pcb.
As usual, The sound quality on these Mag combos is amazing.
What I especially like is the remote control, It controls Tint, Color level, UHF, VHF, Volume and even reject on the turntable!

Kamakiri
04-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Where the heck you gonna put that monster? :saywhat:

captainmoody
04-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Actually, I have it set up in the basement and am using it! The picture quality of the tv and sound quality of the stereo are excellent.
By the way, Got the little Motorola color yesterday. Thanks Tim!

drh4683
04-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Got that set for free at an estate sale in feb of this year. The group running the sale were shocked that someone was interested. The guy that helped run the sale helped me put it into my truck and was PO'd because it weighed so much. He set it on the tail gate of my truck and walked off and didnt say a word.(FU) I would seriously assume this to be one of the heaviest combos in existance. It took every bit of effort to lift 1/2 of it! It is so heavy that I refused to bring it downstairs, as the effort to bring it back up would have been over my limit!
But anyway, it was in a home in riverside, IL, which is basically an "old money" suburb. Had quite a few problems. Looked like some tek took it apart and did a half a$$ job putting it back together. How about it dwight, what all did it take to bring it back into order?

captainmoody
04-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Well, Aside from the repairs I had to find about half a dozen fasteners and two clips for the chassis.
The tech was sloppy and lost most of the hold down hardware!

Jeffhs
04-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Captainmoody,

Great looking set. I didn't think there were many (or any) Magnavox stereo theatre consoles in dark wood cabinets still around (the ones I've seen in ads, etc. have all been very light wood--oak, maple and the like). This set is one of the original Magnavox Company's best three-way consoles; I'm glad yours works as good as it looks.

Does the remote still work for all functions (TV, VHF/UHF tuner [I never thought I'd see another motorized UHF tuner in a Maggie of that vintage; I always thought the singnal-seeking motorized UHF tuner was only to be found in those fancy French Provincial consoles from 1967 or thereabouts] and even the phonograph)?

captainmoody
04-11-2004, 05:43 PM
The remote is a new old stock one I got off ebay for 6.99!
And yes, All the remote functions work. I really enjoy using this set as the picture is nice and sharp.