View Full Version : CT-100 Rescued!

radio63
06-16-2008, 02:40 AM
I got a call from a friend about a week ago telling me he had been in contact with an old guy who had a bunch of electronic gear to get rid of including several old TVs and "a 15 inch round-tube color set". I called the man up and he said he wanted to get rid of it, just haul it away! I made arrangements to meet him this past Saturday.

I arrived at his location-some property he owns out in the desert. This place was so far out the last portion of the trip out there was made on unpaved roads. He had two old large truck bodies like cargo vans. It was obvious they had been out there for quite sometime. He unlocked one of the vans and raised the door, and there before me was this CT-100.

It was evident that being in that van for a long time had taken a toll on the set. The finish is flaking off and the chassis exhibits a good deal of corrosion. It looks complete except the HV cage is missing and the channel indicator and medallion knobs are gone. Looks like some parts have been changed out over the years.

I can only imagine the temperature extremes this poor set went through in that van. To give you an idea, I also took a 7" Motorola TV that was in the same van, and the rubber gasket that surrounds the CRT had melted, yes melted and had run over the face of the CRT! Probably scorching in the summer and freezing in the winter.

I thought the CRT was probably shot being subjected to those extremes of temperature. That night, I tested the CRT and to my great surprise, the filaments lit. Everything looked promising until I pushed the "emission" button, and then I got the blue glow of death around the gun under test. The emission on the guns was decent, except for a weak blue gun. But most surprising of all, the filaments did light.

Among the other finds from this lot was a 21FJP22 CRT that tests like new, and an early Heathkit color TV chassis. Also three b&w sets. I have to go back later to get what looks like an RCA CTC-15 in a metal cabinet, and go rummage around to see what else can be rescued. This is the second CT-100 in my collection that I have been fortunate enough to acquire.

Gilbert

JB5pro
06-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I hope some miracle happens and that CRT can be used.
I am probably imagining this but I thought I read were that blue glow could possibly remedied. Could it be a repairable "short" inside. Seems like I remember such a blue glow being eliminated with a quick jolt from a short remover of a CRT tester.
I am surprised and saddened to think that there are many people who save valuable things for years only to have to get rid of them without getting much if any benefit from all the trouble to obtain and store.
An ending to someone's dream.

jpdylon
06-16-2008, 10:52 AM
That is a great save. Yet another lost 100 recovered!
I got a chance to meet your friend Scott (?) awhile back and chatted quite a bit about you and your collection. I would love to meet another local TV collector. Perhaps when time permits I can get the chance to meet you, Gilbert.

Cheers!

kx250rider
06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Congratulations on that rescue! That's the type of situation where, at some point when nature take it's course, a county salvage crew or an uncaring family will just have all that stuff hauled away.

It is amazing to me how many CT-100s have actually been saved. I'm glad that now another one is in safe hands!

Charles

ohohyodafarted
06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
The blue glow indicates a gassy tube, and from the looks of the getter flashes I would say that is the case.

But hope springs eternal and we are going to try very hard to find a way to seal these leakers so that maybe we will be able to rebuild these valuable crt's

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!

Steve D.
06-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Gilbert,

Great that you followed up on the tip. Nice to have bookend CT-100's. I hope you send along the chassis/cabinet #'s to Pete Deksnis.

-Steve D.

bgadow
06-16-2008, 10:04 PM
A great find-heck, I'd have been happy just with the -15! Makes me want to go prodding some more.

Phil Nelson
06-16-2008, 11:12 PM
What a great find. Just when you think they're extinct in the wild, another fish jumps into your boat.

I'm sure it was hot in that van, but the Motorola CRT gaskets tended to turn into mush no matter where they were stored. Almost every 7-inch Motorola has a bad one. There is a guy on eBay who sells repros.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

wa2ise
06-16-2008, 11:52 PM
If the serial number is present and readable, Pete Deksnis: http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/ in this forum is maintaining a database of surviving CT100's.
Also a page telling where to find the serial numbers http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/potpourri/CT-100rearColorCodedAreas.html

ChrisW6ATV
06-17-2008, 01:08 AM
I got a call from a friend about a week ago telling me he had been in contact with an old guy who had a bunch of electronic gear to get rid of including several old TVs and "a 15 inch round-tube color set". I called the man up and he said he wanted to get rid of it, just haul it away! I made arrangements to meet him this past Saturday.

Gilbert
I was trying to imagine what would happen if I got a call like that, and if I showed up and saw a CT-100 like that. I would probably have a heart attack. :eek:

Congratulations on your nice find.

kx250rider
06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I was trying to imagine what would happen if I got a call like that, and if I showed up and saw a CT-100 like that. I would probably have a heart attack. :eek:

I've been collecting for 32 years (since age 9), and I've only felt that feeling once or twice. The best example was about 1o years ago, in my own neighborhood, I was noticing that there was a gully where people had started throwing junk. It's a nice area, so the city would come clean it up right away. Then the sinking feeling would set in every time I'd pass there, NOT wanting to see a mattress or an old fridge dumped again. But this particular Saturday morning, there WAS junk. But not a fridge or a sofa; it was a 1954 CBS-Columbia color set with the 19VP22 tube in it!!!!!!! In mint condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a feeling that I bet you're thinking of :music:

Charles

JB5pro
06-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I can tell you are telling the truth but it sounds unbelievable!
It's hard to believe such an incredibly valuable historical artifact almost became trash!
I suppose some people are just lucky. From what I have read here you are certainly a person who deserves such luck.
I expect the photos are in here somewhere, I'm gonna look at it!

I've been collecting for 32 years (since age 9), and I've only felt that feeling once or twice. The best example was about 1o years ago, in my own neighborhood, I was noticing that there was a gully where people had started throwing junk. It's a nice area, so the city would come clean it up right away. Then the sinking feeling would set in every time I'd pass there, NOT wanting to see a mattress or an old fridge dumped again. But this particular Saturday morning, there WAS junk. But not a fridge or a sofa; it was a 1954 CBS-Columbia color set with the 19VP22 tube in it!!!!!!! In mint condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a feeling that I bet you're thinking of :music:

Charles

Sandy G
06-17-2008, 02:31 PM
I have worked hard to spread the Gospel of Old TVs in general & CT-100s in particular for the past several years, & you would be surprised how many people are FLABBERGASTED to find out there was color tv in 1954...Most people have a vague recollection of Uncle Herman's Roundie from the early '60s, but that's about it. They REALLY flip when I tell 'em what CT-100s can go for...

KOGO600
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
You know since I helped find, deliver, and clean up the cabinet of tour first CT-100 I can't wait to start restoring this one Gilbert. Good CRT or not its a great TV. You know Gilbert since you got this one and the first one for FREE! You may have to pay for the next one, but with your luck they will be paying you to haul off the third one.

RCA All The Way!

AM 600 KOGO Serving San Diego Since 1925

radio63
06-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your posts. Here's a few replies to you all:

Could it be a repairable "short" inside. Seems like I remember such a blue glow being eliminated with a quick jolt from a short remover of a CRT tester.

Sometimes yes when it's an inter-electrode short you can do that but in this case looks like the CRT is leaking air and or is gassy. Sadly not surprising for a 15GP. In this case, jotling it would not help.

Perhaps when time permits I can get the chance to meet you, Gilbert. Cheers!

Jordan, I have sent you a PM. Would very much like to meet you and speak with you. Give me a call.

Gilbert,
Great that you followed up on the tip. Nice to have bookend CT-100's. I hope you send along the chassis/cabinet #'s to Pete Deksnis. -Steve D.

Hi Steve,

Pete was the first person I contacted to report serial numbers and inform him of another CT-100 being unearthed. He has advised not powering up the CRT any further since it might be a good candidate for rebuild once the process is perfected.

Thanks Chris,

I generally try to contain myself until I have the item (TV or whatever) in hand since anything could and sometimes has-gone wrong until the deal is consummated. But yeah it is a really exciting thing to have something like that in the wings.

But this particular Saturday morning, there WAS junk. But not a fridge or a sofa; it was a 1954 CBS-Columbia color set with the 19VP22 tube in it!!!!!!! In mint condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charles

Wow Charles, do you still have this set? I'm sure you don't remember but I met you at a SCARS meeting about 20 years ago. We talked quite a bit about early color sets at that time. I think it was either a Burbank or Torrance meet.

You know since I helped find, deliver, and clean up the cabinet of your first CT-100 I can't wait to start restoring this one Gilbert. Good CRT or not its a great TV. You know Gilbert since you got this one and the first one for FREE! You may have to pay for the next one, but with your luck they will be paying you to haul off the third one.

Thanks Mr. Scott, let's get ready to get this guy polished up but I've got to warn you it's rougher than the first CT-100 we did.

Gilbert