View Full Version : crt rebuild dvd

rcaman
06-13-2008, 10:57 AM
i asked the fellow to include me twice in the want list and he never got back to me. did everyone else here that wanted a copy get a copy of the dvd. i will pay one of you for a copy. my money does spend. thanks steve

zenithfan1
06-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Ask Bob again, maybe he got busy and forgot. ohohyodafarted is his AK name.

rcaman
06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
twice is enough i will just do without it. thanks steve

Tony V
06-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Ditto for me. Sent pm twice and no response.
-Tony

John Folsom
06-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Guys, give Bob a break! Making multiple copies of a DVD on a home PC is a rather tedious and time consuming process. Bob does not want to spend ALL of his time doing that. He has a regular job to do, and a TV collecting hobby as well. So to answer the somewhat overwhelming requests for copies of the DVD, Bob has an agreement with Steve McVoy at the ETF to let the ETF make and distribute copies of the DVD for a modest donation fee to the ETF. Check with the ETF for details, and be a little patent. It is a great DVD, well worth a little wait. Bob has put in a tremendous number of hours to edit the raw footage and put together a coherent video document of the rebuilding of a CRT.

Eric H
06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I sent him an e-mail weeks ago, he replied and I forgot to send payment!

I wrote him a couple days ago asking if I could still get one and he was kind enough to oblige.

If you didn't get a reply perhaps your Spam filter is blocking it?

jpdylon
06-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I talked with him, and he responded quite quickly here. Got the DVD within a week I sent out payment.

No problems here, sorry you guys are having difficulties. Like John Said, he has work and a hobby on top of making the DVD copies to send out. Just give it some patience.

ohohyodafarted
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks Guys for your kind comments.

I checked my records tonight and I did send Steve George, aka RCAMAN an order form. Perhaps he overlooked it or it was taged as spam by a spam program. I have already sent an email to Steve telling him that if he deposits the funds in my paypal account that I will be happy to send him a DVD.

As for Tony V.----- I specifically requested that people contact me by email at my private email address (which is in my original post notifying of the last call for DVD orders). The reason I wanted a direct email, is that I needed to be able to send the DVD order form in a reply, back to the requesting party. Tony V tryed to contact me via AK private e mail. As a result I did not have Tony's email address, and so therefore I could not send him a reply with an order blank for the dvd. If you did send me an email Tony, to my address, please forward a copy of that email again, and I will try to locate it in my inbox and I will be happy to honor your request if it arrived prior to 5/27.

IN addition I received requests from about a dozen people that said they wanted a DVD. I sent them the order form and never heard anything back from them. I don't like it when people waste my time either.

If I somehow missed someone who made a request, and I have record of that request, I will honor it, provided the request was made on or before 5/27/08.

I have given permission to Steve McVoy of the ETF museum to duplicate the DVD and sell it to raise funds for the ETF Museum. The production is copyrighted and may not be duplicated without writen permission from me, Robert Galanter the copyright holder. Copyright violation is a federal offense, and punishable by a fine of up to $250,000. The only authorized source to purchase a DVD of this production is directly from the ETF Museum.

I hope those of you who have a copy of this production have enjoyed watching it and have learned something about CRT rebuilding from it.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and support,
Bob Galanter

Phil Nelson
06-14-2008, 11:45 AM
I got my copy when promised, and found it very interesting. I'm glad someone took the time to document this complex process.

I wonder what will happen when Scotty retires. It looks like a period of apprenticeship would be needed for someone else to take up the craft.

Phil Nelson

John Marinello
06-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I got my copy when promised, and found it very interesting. I'm glad someone took the time to document this complex process.

I wonder what will happen when Scotty retires. It looks like a period of apprenticeship would be needed for someone else to take up the craft.

Phil Nelson

I agree.

My copy came as promised. Big-time kudos to Bob for this monumental effort!
I know he spent countless hours on this, and it certainly shows!

-John

kbmuri
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Likewise.

I followed Bob's instructions and got mine promptly and was a satisfied customer. Haven't had time to actually sit down and watch it (job stress right now), but am glad I reserved a copy for later. Shipping was prompt and courteous. No issues whatsoever.

Whirled One
06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Likewise.

I followed Bob's instructions and got mine promptly and was a satisfied customer. Haven't had time to actually sit down and watch it (job stress right now), but am glad I reserved a copy for later. Shipping was prompt and courteous. No issues whatsoever.

Same here-- I just sent Bob an email, followed the instructions, and he sent it out very quickly indeed. Excellent service, to be sure..! The DVD is even packaged in a regular "Amray" DVD case with a printed cover insert. As with kbmuri, though, I haven't found time to watch the DVD yet, but will soon.

Whirled One
06-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Weird thing: I actually live within 10 miles of Hawkeye Picture Tube, but I'd never actually been there. I just never happened to have a CRT that was worth having rebuilt and that was in bad enough shape to need it.

As some of you know, there has been some considerable flooding in some parts of central and eastern Iowa. I knew downtown Des Moines was in pretty fair shape overall (though part of the downtown area had been evacuated on Friday as a precaution), and while I wasn't sure where Hawkeye Picture Tube was located, I figured it was 'up the hill' on the east side towards E 14th St, and the only flooding I saw on E 14th was some seepage in the public park bordering the river levee on the north, and in an open field on the south. This morning I started thinking about it again, so I checked the phone directory. and saw that it's actually located only about 4 blocks from the river, and I seemed to recall that things were pretty flat in that area. So, I went down there to check things out.

Turns out everything (above ground, at least) is dry in that neighborhood, but, as you can see, it appears that Scotty & Co. didn't take unnecessary chances, as the entire building is surrounded by sandbags holding down plastic sheeting. Looks like the majority of the other business/home owners in that area haven't sandbagged their properties at all, so they must not have considered that to be an imminent danger.

bgadow
06-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I see what I did wrong-I think when I read "private email" I took that to mean a PM. I'll wait 'til later and get one from the museum, as I very much want to see it.

Tony V
06-16-2008, 01:23 AM
I see what I did wrong-I think when I read "private email" I took that to mean a PM. I'll wait 'til later and get one from the museum, as I very much want to see it.

I think i must have did the same thing and I apologize to Bob. I'm such a goober! I guess i'll do the same thing and get one from Steve once their available again. I'm just glad this was all documented along with the CT-100 tube rebuild for future reference as this is very important to all of us in this hobby. Thanks for all your hard work Bob and cant wait to watch the dvd!
-Tony