View Full Version : Tele-Tone with odd socket

Eric H
06-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I picked up this Porthole Tele-Tone today and noticed something odd, someone piggybacked an octal socket on the back of the CRT socket (first pic).

The only thing I can think of is it was used with one of those Norelco Duo-Vue projectors (or similar) which were an attachment used with a standard TV but I don't know if this is how they were hooked up?

The person I got it from in fact has a Duo Vue but he told me they came from different places.

This set is in pretty good shape, the grille was broken because it had the wrong knobs installed and they were stuck hard, someone tried to pull the chassis out with the knobs attached and busted the grille into several pieces.

I was able to remove it by knocking out some wood braces and removing some staples, it glued back together nicely but i'll wait till it's refinished to reinstall it.

pearsonk
06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
This is not how the Duo-vue was connected (I have a working one)..........
Unsure what this is.

dreyfoos
06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Might it have been part of a color converter project? I know Tele-Tone was involved with CBS color - at least in a promotion effort.

Any wheel-spinners with better info care to comment?

Roger

Steve McVoy
06-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Here is some information on the Tele-Tone color converter. It doesn't look like it relates to the add-on socket on this set:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/teletone_color_converter.html

kx250rider
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
That looks like a regular Octal tube socket.... I can't see, but is there even a Duodecal CRT socket on there? I wonder if it was a hobbyist in the past who had it with a busted socket, and he didn't have a CRT socket and just soldered that one on?

Charles

Eric H
06-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Here's a close up, the CRT socket looks original, the octal looks to have been added.
When I get a chance i'll have to see exactly which wires are jumpered to the octal, there are a couple of the wires to the CRT socket that have broken off so I need to figure out where they go first.

The ETF has the same set and it looks like the same half socket for the CRT but without the octal added. http://www.earlytelevision.org/teletone_porthole.html

akent36
06-16-2008, 06:45 PM
You're a lucky guy-I like those sets.