View Full Version : scratched screen

Kiwick
06-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi you all

I have just found a nice 1983 Philips set with a nicely scratched screen (it was lying face down on the curb) the scratches are thin, but there are a lot of them

This is something worth saving, it was one of the first european sets to have full stereo sound, with a 15 watt amplifier and built in bass reflex speakers, digital tuning, computerized self diagnosis and so on... it just needed a new rectifier module to spring back to life with an excellent picture

Is there a way to improve the appearance of the scratches or i just need to replace the CRT? it would be a shame as the scratched original CRT is like new.

electroking
06-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I trust you could get in touch with an amateur astronomer with
experience in polishing mirrors.

Does anyone know if the same types of abrasives would work?

Sandy G
06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Try an auto-glass shop. They MIGHT have something to help..

radiotvnut
06-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I've heard of the idea about auto glass repair shops; but, none of the scratched ones I found were worth the effort. Other than an auto glass repair shop, I'd say a CRT would be the only other option.

dave1138
06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
The Eastwood company has a glass polishing kit that I have used before to clear up an old scratched and pitted windshield:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2024&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=40030

It works pretty well but you have to be careful to buff evenly to keep the surface even.

sampson159
06-11-2008, 09:03 PM
i have done this many times with reasonable results. depends on the scratches. 4-600 grit sandpaper and soapy water on deep abrasions.it could be a long process and dont be afraid to stop and check your work. i have also used a buffer and some products like supercut and rubbing compound.i have polished everything before from porcelion to plastic and have gotten nice results.the only problem is that once it looks presentable,STOP!!!!don t get carried away or all your work is wasted.it is a thin line between success and failure-dont cross that line. good luck!

bgadow
06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm going to try Sampson's method one of these days. I have several glass shops I deal with on a regular basis and none of them will touch a scratch on anything, even if I ask them nice.

firenzeprima
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Si per togliere i graffi dallo schermo bisognerebbe prima passare una carta a vetro tipo 800 . 1000 con acqua, poi con la pasta abrasiva per carrozzieri, poi con il polish. il tutto preferibilmente fatto a mano poichè se viene dato con la spazzola a motore si rischia di surriscaldare la superfice dello schermo e rovinare il pigmento dei fosfori, una volta riparai un tubo che era stato strusciato sul muro, ma ci volle molto tempo per fare un buon lavoro,

kbmuri
08-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Si per togliere i graffi dallo schermo bisognerebbe prima passare una carta a vetro tipo 800 . 1000 con acqua, poi con la pasta abrasiva per carrozzieri, poi con il polish. il tutto preferibilmente fatto a mano poichè se viene dato con la spazzola a motore si rischia di surriscaldare la superfice dello schermo e rovinare il pigmento dei fosfori, una volta riparai un tubo che era stato strusciato sul muro, ma ci volle molto tempo per fare un buon lavoro,

----- Google Translate ------
Yes to remove scratches from the screen should be the first one pass glass type 800. 1000 with water, then with pasta for abrasive coach, then with the polish. preferably all done by hand because if it is given with the brush motor is likely to overheat the surface of the screen and ruin the pigment of phosphors, once riparai a pipe that was strusciato on the wall, but we wanted a lot of time to make a good job

Good precaution on accidentally overheating the phosphors. Keep lots of cold water on the tube while working on it.

I would use a diamond-based paper, such as:
http://www.defusco.com/p2071/422-ELECTRO-DIAMOND-SANDPAPER---600-GRIT/product_info.html?osCsid=2h8glbvv4bcf64u6b5oiikl11 1

at 1000 or 1500 grit. Then follow with a lapidary product such as:

http://search.ebay.com/lapidary-polish_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32QQkeywordZ lapidaryQ20polish

(remembering at all times that CRT's implode).

Sandy G
08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes-By all means-BE CAREFUL...Maybe a new CRT is the best option after all.

wa2ise
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
If the only alternative is to replace the CRT, maybe some car wax or clear epoxy wiped into the scratches might do a "good enough" repair, to fill the scratches and be less visible, but be sure there's no dirt in the scratches. Test it on some other scratched glass first.

andy
08-05-2008, 06:41 PM

firenzeprima
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
The problem is the difference of temperature that develops in a certain area of the screen unlike others. what you say is true about the high temperature durant elementary stages of construction, but they are uniform across the screen, and then careful not to dig too crystal because it would create a uniformity of surface and a deformation of the (effect lens) use cotton to brush the screen,

Kiwick
08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I have finally found a replacement CRT about a month ago... free from a repair shop, and i have already swapped it in...

It's in mint conditions with like-new emissions and absolutely no scratches, so my 1983 Philips system4 is now back to its former glory...

I've kept the old scratched CRT to experiment in scratch removal... my first attempt to fill the scratches with clear epoxy resulted in an ugly mess... it's VERY difficult to remove the excess epoxy...

firenzeprima
08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
meglio così. a volte un po di fortuna non guasta!