View Full Version : Beverly Hillbillies- Color TV Set

Oldstuff78
06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Speaking of Color TV's in old shows witht the Hazel thread and I brought it up in another thread some time ago, what was the color set that the Clampetts owned in the B&W years of The Beverly Hillbillies ? I want to say a RCA.

I know it was a 63 or 64 French Provincial style because there was a Christmas of 63 episode when Granny got it and thought it was a washing machine. The follow up episode is how she is addicted to watching it all day and becomes a big fan of The Quirt Manly show played by Henry Gibson.

The TV is featured again in the episode "Granny Versus The Weather Bureau" They show a close up of the TV weather girl that Jethero is in love with and Granny gripes about about telling the weather wrong. The Weather girl says it will be a nice evening for a weenie roast at the beach and she would see everybody there. Jethero believes her and starts asking Granny about weenies. Later he comes home mad that he waited 2 hours and she never did show up.

JB5pro
06-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I think I saw a color episode of The Beverly Hillbillys where they got a new color TV that looked like it was an Admiral roundie with that fold down control panel.

Carmine
06-08-2008, 07:15 AM
I remember the one where they thought the TV was a washing machine... Every time they turned it on, it was some kind of show that showed the ocean. :D

Oldstuff78
06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
The episode where Granny thought it was a washing machine was hillarious. If I remember correctly she was hanging clothes on the Rabbit ears because she thought it was the clothes line.

I can't recall the episode off hand about them getting the Admiral Roundie, but I seem to remember them watching a roundie in the color episode where Jed goes on TV to meet the Shiek and Mr. Drysdale has dyed his hair coal black to look younger. There is also another episode where Mr. Drysdales pretty young maid comes over to see color TV and Jethero thinks she's his sweetie.

Later on The Clampetts get a Rectangular Color set by the lates 60's. They show it in the episode where Granny wrestles the Boston Strong Girl and when Granny gets hooked on that soap opera she thinks is real. If I remember correctly that TV had Gold trim.

I watch way Too much TV.....but it's not a bad thing :D

Hawkwind
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
This is from the episode "A Man for Elly" first aired 1-1-1964 season 2, episode 15.
Not much to go on but there are four controls in the lower right-hand corner area of the bezel that might help identifing the set...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/Hawkwind02054/TVSetsOnTVShows/BH_TV4.jpg

jpdylon
06-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Looks like an RCA CTC-15 to me... :scratch2:

avalon1308
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
looks like a 16 to me

bgadow
06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I think that basic control panel overlapped at least a couple chassis'. I have it on a -15; makes sense, as that would have been the latest model out when that episode was shot.

JB5pro
06-12-2008, 05:24 AM
That is the all new and very modern control panel for some '64 models that I think only used the new CTC-16. I think that control panel was just used for '64 but maybe '65.
Somewhere in this section is one of those with a CTC-16

sampson159
06-12-2008, 08:05 AM
i have that same set in my cluttered garage. it is a ctc-15 dated 1964.