View Full Version : here's an odd GE for ya

jpdylon
05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/RETRO-GENERAL-ELECTRIC-GE-TELEVISION-TV-CABINET_W0QQitemZ370055813908QQihZ024QQcategoryZ36 38QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Never seen one like this before...
http://www.auctionzealot.com/members/grandmastrash/cv02(1).jpg

electroking
05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I wonder what that funny looking drum with 1-2-3-4 marks could be
(in picture 9 from the top). Any ideas?

A similar GE TV with top mounted chassis was discussed a few weeks
ago in one of these forums. This one has UHF, before it was mandatory
I guess, making it more interesting.

andy
05-28-2008, 03:00 PM

electronjohn
05-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I like the shelves for VHS tapes. Ooops..wrong era.

veg-o-matic
05-29-2008, 08:12 AM
What do you suppose the little door on top is for? It doesn't seem to offer access to the controls.

veg

Tubejunke
05-30-2008, 01:35 AM
I wonder what that funny looking drum with 1-2-3-4 marks could be
(in picture 9 from the top). Any ideas?

I know that Andy answered this question. I just wanted to add that it is a high voltage cage that is an accident waiting to happen. If you open the can you will tear loose all of the flybacks hair thin wire that leads to the noted "2-3-4 marks." Even the factory warning sticker did not stop me from prying at the can and doing exactly that. This was some years ago when I had an old G-E set that was pretty nice and really didnt need any attention in the can other than my obsession for cleaning. My cleaning cost me the set as my soldering skills at the time did not allow me to properly repair the torn wires. So we parted ways. At least I did find it a home and not a dumpster.

The G-E we are looking at here looks like a real neat and unique set. Hopefully it will find a home here in the A-K world. That thought alone made me want to put out this story/warning. I did not see the WARNING sticker on the can that I remember on mine. BE CAREFUL!!

JB5pro
06-02-2008, 02:33 AM
I know that Andy answered this question. I just wanted to add that it is a high voltage cage that is an accident waiting to happen. If you open the can you will tear loose all of the flybacks hair thin wire that leads to the noted "2-3-4 marks." Even the factory warning sticker did not stop me from prying at the can and doing exactly that. This was some years ago when I had an old G-E set that was pretty nice and really didnt need any attention in the can other than my obsession for cleaning. My cleaning cost me the set as my soldering skills at the time did not allow me to properly repair the torn wires. So we parted ways. At least I did find it a home and not a dumpster.

The G-E we are looking at here looks like a real neat and unique set. Hopefully it will find a home here in the A-K world. That thought alone made me want to put out this story/warning. I did not see the WARNING sticker on the can that I remember on mine. BE CAREFUL!!

That is one of the most unique cabinet ideas I have ever seen. Good to know about that HV can incase I ever find one!

JB5pro
06-02-2008, 02:39 AM
It would give a better view of the knobs and channel numbers when standing close enough to change anything. I love the '50's!

Sandy G
06-02-2008, 05:43 AM
It would give a better view of the knobs and channel numbers when standing close enough to change anything. I love the '50's!

Yeah, but...Wouldn't it have been easier to design th' damthing RIGHT in the 1st place, where you wouldn't hafta have them l'il funky doors 'n' such...Aww, nevermind...I give up...(grin)