View Full Version : How would you answer this E-mail

Eric H
05-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Please, keep it reasonably clean. :yes:

"I’m looking for like a big old console tv to gut and turn into a bar, and make put an lcd panel where the old tube was, unfortunately I’m having no luck.."

MTaylor
05-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I've heard of fish tanks, but a bar is even worse!

vinyldavid
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd tell him to go to wal-mart and buy a Big screen and put a bar on top of that.

Cadillac Kid
05-25-2008, 10:17 PM
What is the big deal? The guy likes the vintage look and has an idea for a cool project. Not every old TV needs to be saved. Relax.

David Roper
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I've got an '83 Curtis-Mathes combo in the garage which is really good for nothing else whatsoever...but it would still bother me somehow.

radiotvnut
05-26-2008, 01:00 AM
It wouldn't be near as bad if he found a mid '90's Zenith console with a bad CRT to convert into a bar. Now, one of those would be more useful as a bar than it ever was being a TV, as the CRT's usually didn't last but 2 or 3 years, if that long. Now, in 30 years, I'll probably be begging for one of those mid '90's Zenith consoles for my collection!

David Roper
05-26-2008, 01:51 AM
What do you think I replaced the Curtis-Mathes with, nut?! :D

Seriously! '96 Zenith console with a tube as bright as new. I guess I seriously lucked out somehow.

tvman39
05-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Ha I remeber working on those sets as recent as a few years ago....there are still some going that the jugs were replaced under warranty,when they came in the shop theyusually were dead because of bleeding low voltage electrolytics,that is what collectors in the future will have to face....eaten away traces on the pcb's from the leaking caps,any peice of electronic equipment from 1988 and up that uses black nichicon capacitors will have have this problem,however their other series with the blue cases are unaffected by this problem....still dont understand why,probabaly a different electrolyte formula that didn't eat the rubber.

EDIT:I forgot to mention that usually the caps start leaking after about 12 years of service on average

kbmuri
05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Plan A: I would point him here:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/Cabinets-Armoires-Cupboards__W0QQ_sacatZ63561QQ_scZ1QQ_sopZ1
to window shop. Most TV cabinets are less-interesting versions of "cabinets that were meant to be cabinets only". Then send him to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc, to find something suitable, a little cheaper. Let him make a frankenset out of something prettier, without harming anything permanently.

Plan B: If it MUST be an old TV cabinet, offer to help him find one, your "finder's fee" is to keep all the worthless guts.

What is the big deal? The guy likes the vintage look and has an idea for a cool project. Not every old TV needs to be saved. Relax.

Agreed, not all TVs need to be saved, and relax. But it's really rude to buy one and throw all the tubes, CRT, transformers, etc into a dumpster because you want to make a "really cool" bar that probably won't be as really cool as you thought and then you get bored with it and throw the whole thing in a dumpster anyway. It's just disrespectful to the past and a "waste".

Old1625
05-26-2008, 08:44 AM
In replying to such email I would simply say that they are asking the wrong guy, and that they need to consult an interior decorator.

Old consoles don't cut it for such applications for at least three reasons:

1) The top surface is nowhere near the right height for serving as a bar--IMHO

B) It would take an inordinate amount of work to prepare the front to accommodate a 16:9 large screen of any decent size.

III) Liquids and Electronics do not always favorably mix.

To turn an old console TV into an aquarium stand in my way of thinking robs each of their own individual dignity.

kbmuri
05-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Oh, and Plan C. Suggest he take "wood shop" if he's still in high school, or perhaps a local job-training center or vocational college. Or possibly learn the craft at a "summer job" in a cabinetry factory (Do those still exist?). It would be even more "cool" and rewarding to design and build the whole project from scratch.

Old1625
05-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh, and Plan C. Suggest he take "wood shop" if he's still in high school, or perhaps a local job-training center or vocational college. Or possibly learn the craft at a "summer job" in a cabinetry factory (Do those still exist?). It would be even more "cool" and rewarding to design and build the whole project from scratch.

Yep! :thmbsp:

kbmuri
05-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Take this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GREAT-1960S-WALNUT-BUFFET-SIDEBOARD-VINTAGE-ANTIQUE_W0QQitemZ280229121486QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem280229121486&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Remove the swinging doors. Remove the drawers. Remove the horizontal drawer supports for the right drawers. Cut the right vertical support board (the one that the right swinging door was hinged to) back about halfway (so the back half still supports the cabinet top adequately). The area originally covered by the doors + the area where the right drawers were, would support a 16:9 widescreen nicely. Place one there. Reinstall the top left drawer. Cut the bottom-left drawer support out. Cut the original right swinging drawer down to size and mount it so that it covers the area under the left drawer. Now you have a liquor cabinet, supplies drawer, and a widescreen HDTV in an "authentic" 60's-style cabinet. Nothing of value destroyed. No vintage TV enemies made. No "awkward fit" of a 16:9 into a vintage-CRT hole. A countertop to place your drinks. Whole project takes 1 day. Reasonable results. Disposable when you realize widescreen flat-panels belong on the wall.

andy
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM

radiotvnut
05-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I think all wood TV cabinets started going out in the late '60's or early '70's. I've got a '74 Zenith high end console with a particleboard and plastic cabinet. I think the '69 Zenith B&W console and the '66 Motorola color console that I have is all wood.

kx250rider
05-26-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd advise him that asking a TV collector this question is about on a par with asking a asking an ACLU lawyer what to buy President Bush for his birthday.

Charles

larschr
05-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Don´t underestimate the old (well, not THAT old)TVs; the TV strikes back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdv84v-uenE&feature=related

winters860
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
He should come to my local Goodwill where there's been a HUGE late-50's or early-60's Curtis Mathis TV/hifi console languishing for weeks.

rods
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
What about those people who want to convert old bars into televisions? Any advice for them?

Eric H
05-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I wrote him back and offered some advice about how to select a set that wasn't rare or valuable, I also told him I hated the idea of destroying a vintage set for a project like this, he wrote back and said I must have misunderstood, he isn't destroying it he's "refurbishing" it.

I gave up at that point.