05-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Hello all,

Could someone have a look at this auction on the well known site

and tell me whether this is a potentially good instrument. I understand
the description is minimal, but I would rather discuss this with fellow
audiokarma members than with the seller. If you want to bid on it,
be my guest (that's part of the game after all), but remember that
Matane is awfully far from the USA!

The only CRTs I ever expect to need testing are a 21alp4a (90 deg.)
and 21dep4a/21cep4a (110 deg.). Thanks in advance for any comments.

radiotvnut
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
That's a model 465 from the '60's and I'd leave it alone. The rejuvenate function on these models will usually do more harm than good and these older testers often do not have the sockets for the newer tubes. My first CRT tester was this exact model. It was given to me by a TV shop in the early '90's because it was obsolete. At the time, it was OK because most of the CRT's I found were older delta gun color tubes and older B&W tubes. I finished off several weak CRT's with it's rejuvenate function. I believe B&K made an adapter that would allow the 465 to be used with modern adapters; but, since the rejuvenate function isn't the best, I'd move on to a newer model.

I'd look for a B&K 467, 470, 480, or 490 tester. These are newer and have a much better rejuvenate function. Also, sockets are available for most any CRT. These cost several hundred $ when new; but, can often be bought on epay for a reasonable price. I look for them to get even cheaper as the CRT becomes more obsolete.

I've got a 480 with most of the sockets. I have rejuvenated many tubes with it with good results.

Findm-Keepm
05-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd look for a B&K 467, 470, 480, or 490 tester. These are newer and have a much better rejuvenate function. Also, sockets are available for most any CRT. These cost several hundred $ when new; but, can often be bought on epay for a reasonable price. I look for them to get even cheaper as the CRT becomes more obsolete.

I concur - having used a 470 for the last 10 or 12 years, and now owning a 467, you can't go wrong with either. Can't speak for the other two, but given B&K's track record, they are probably first class CRT checkers.

BTW- the updates for the most recent models used to be on the B&K website, but they have disappeared. Anyone download one in the past they'd like to share?

Cheers,

radiotvnut
05-22-2008, 09:31 PM
The 480 is the newer version of the 470 and the 490 is the newer version of the 467. I think the only difference is cosmetic.

wkand
05-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Sencore made some decent testers as well. The CR 143 is my favorite for CRT's. The only issue was an unreliability issue that caused early models to have to have an "overhaul" after only a few hours. Once the "overhaul" has completed, however, I recall they were reliable.

The rejuvenate function worked quite well on the unit I used in the 1970's. No issues with "frying" CRT's. I rejuvenated one old 21fjp22a once that went from zero to full emissions after a rejuvenation, and lasted several years at 10 hours a day average use, with a Zenith 25MC33 chassis, of course...

I've seen a couple of these on eBay.

zenithfan1
05-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Sencore made some decent testers as well.
I've seen a couple of these on eBay.

Yep, I like the CR-70 I'm looking for one now.

andy
05-23-2008, 08:01 PM

electroking
05-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will leave that tester where it is.
And it doen't have any bids yet, must mean something. Keep this
thread going if you wish, it's interesting.