View Full Version : Big ol 1968 Sears on eBay

Eric H
03-29-2004, 09:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3284326695&category=3638

When I was a kid in the late 60's I had a Sears phonograph with that exact same changer.

Jeffhs
03-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Eric H
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3284326695&category=3638

When I was a kid in the late 60's I had a Sears phonograph with that exact same changer.

Very nice looking console, very well preserved for its age. Whomever wins the auction will have a very nice piece of furniture if nothing else, although the seller says the TV and AM/FM tuner sections are working but the phonograph is questionable. (Maybe all it needs is a new stylus and/or cartridge; something simple along those lines.) However, I noticed the CRT has a green halo around it. I thought this was only characteristic of Zenith tubes. You don't suppose this set has a Zenith CRT in it? :dunno:

BTW, while looking at the pics of the control panel, I noticed something that looks like the phrase "Silver Sentry" in silver script writing on it, below the channel selector. Any ideas on what this meant? I've seen a few Silvertone TVs in my time (my grandmother had a Sears radio/phono from the late '40s until the early '70s, then a Sears color TV for almost 15 years; my folks had a 17" Silvertone b&w portable TV in the '60s, then I picked up a '64 Silvertone roundie in the early '70s, et al.) but never one with this feature. Was it some sort of automatic color correction system like Zenith's Color Sentry or Auto Tint Guard, RCA's AccuColor, or GE's VIR? Knowing that Sears TVs used chassis that closely resembled RCA's CTC-12 through CTC-16 (but were actually manufactured by Warwick Electronics), I'd say the Silver Sentry was Sears' answer to the RCA AccuColor system.

kc8adu
03-30-2004, 07:43 PM
most of those old sears sets i remember had sylvania crts relabeled sears.
and sylvania had green halo disease too.

andy
03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
I never did understand why Sears went to the trouble of rebranding their CRTs. It's not like the customer would ever see that. I even had a 1984 50" Sears front projection TV (made by Sanyo) with all three CRTs branded Sears. I think they were actually Hitachi CRTs.

bgadow
03-31-2004, 08:45 AM
Someone gave me an old KMC tv from the 70s one time and the crt was labeled Kmart on this POS. Why in the world would they bother?

kc8adu
04-01-2004, 08:18 AM
my favorite was the hitachi that was a relabeled ge.
you could peel the hitachi label off the tube to reveal the ge one underneath.the service info in the little box on the back(anyone remember those?)was ge too.