View Full Version : Cool Heathkit

Eric H
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Unusual corner unit!
Someone needs to grab this one, a little too pricey tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-RCA-Heathkit-Color-TV-Console-Mid-Century-Retro_W0QQitemZ370052773685QQihZ024QQcategoryZ3638 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bgadow
05-17-2008, 09:23 PM
One of a kind, for certain!

old_tv_nut
05-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Rca?

[edit - why won't it let me type RCA in caps above?]

Jeffhs
05-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Unusual corner unit!
Someone needs to grab this one, a little too pricey tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-RCA-Heathkit-Color-TV-Console-Mid-Century-Retro_W0QQitemZ370052773685QQihZ024QQcategoryZ3638 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I never saw a Heathkit color TV in a cabinet like that; most of Heath's console TV cabinets were made of darker wood and were much lower to the floor, but if one simply bought the TV kit itself without the cabinet he/she would have a free hand as far as deciding what type of cabinet in which to install it. That was probably the case with this one. No matter. The cabinet still looks very unique and will make a very nice addition to someone's living room, den or family room.

BTW: The high opening bid may be simply because of the sheer uniqueness of the cabinet. The custom cabinet looks as if it must have been quite expensive in its day; perhaps the set's present owner is taking that into account. The TV chassis itself isn't worth any sky-high opening bid, IMHO; it looks to me like a garden-variety late-'60s Heathkit color set.

Jeffhs
05-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Disregard. Duplicate post.

MRX37
05-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Rca?

[edit - why won't it let me type RCA in caps above?]

I've had this problem too!! Not just with RCA but other stuff.

If I want to type in all caps, I'LL TYPE IN ALL CAPS!

Hm...

RCA RCA RCA RCA It's working fine now...

zenith2134
05-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah. This one is truly something unique. I've never seen one like it.

Could be worth the price

Jeffhs
05-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I've had this problem too!! Not just with RCA but other stuff.

If I want to type in all caps, I'LL TYPE IN ALL CAPS!

Hm...

RCA RCA RCA RCA It's working fine now...

I was going to suggest that you check the caps lock key on your keyboard. If it's on, you will get lower case with the shift key depressed and caps when you let up on it--just the opposite of how it normally works.

MRX37
05-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I was going to suggest that you check the caps lock key on your keyboard. If it's on, you will get lower case with the shift key depressed and caps when you let up on it--just the opposite of how it normally works.

No, something on this forum changes certain acronyms to lowercase. I've been noticing this for awhile, and I find it to be very irritating.

wkand
05-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I did not know that Heath OEM'd RCA sets. Were they kits, or preassembled?

Eric H
05-19-2008, 11:05 PM
It doesn't look like a regular RCA chassis, maybe their PC boards & parts with a Heathkit chassis layout?

KentTeffeteller
05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I do know that tube era Heathkit Color TV sets were RCA CTC inspired if not clones thereof. Late era Heathkit Color TV sets were very Zenith. I put one together in 1976. Took me all summer to do. It was an assembly job for a physicist neighbor who worked for ORNL. He paid me $300 for the job, a lot of money for a 13 year old. He still uses it (now with a DTV converter box). He started assembling it then and didn't have the time to finish it. Very superb picture and engineering, these Heathkit sets were. His was in a French Provencial cabinet.

trinescope
05-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I'll put the early solid-state Heathkits in the RCA camp as well; they used the dual SCR horizontal deflection circuit like the CTC-40, etc. At least the ones I had used them.

Eric H
06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
It's back, and cheaper!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-RCA-Heathkit-Color-TV-Console-Mid-Century-Retro_W0QQitemZ370057547785QQihZ024QQcategoryZ3638 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kx250rider
06-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi,

I do know that tube era Heathkit Color TV sets were RCA CTC inspired if not clones thereof. Late era Heathkit Color TV sets were very Zenith. I put one together in 1976. Took me all summer to do. It was an assembly job for a physicist neighbor who worked for ORNL. He paid me $300 for the job, a lot of money for a 13 year old. He still uses it (now with a DTV converter box). He started assembling it then and didn't have the time to finish it. Very superb picture and engineering, these Heathkit sets were. His was in a French Provencial cabinet.

The Heath roundies were physically very close to the CTC-15, then the one which is the subject of this thread (GR-295) is a Canadian Electrohome-based chassis, I remember hearing at some time. Same for the first solid state GR-2000. Then the last ones from the 80s were indeed all Zenith.

Charles

ChrisW6ATV
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
An unbuilt Heathkit roundie, now that would be the ultimate fun project. If one really existed, though, it would be much better to keep it unbuilt and every part displayed in a museum.

kx250rider
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
An unbuilt Heathkit roundie, now that would be the ultimate fun project. If one really existed, though, it would be much better to keep it unbuilt and every part displayed in a museum.

I saw one on eBay several years ago. It wend big $$$, naturally. It was complete but missing the CRT. I agree 100% that any unbuilt Heathkit TV should remain unbuilt. There was an unbuilt prewar Andrea kit in it's original metal display box that showed up several years ago too... Went to a true collector Back East, who I am sure is keeping it unbuilt.

I also sold an unbuilt (and sadly, incomplete) Heathkit solid state color set on eBay. A friend had bought it from a friend of his, and each time it passed hands, a few things didn't go with it :thumbsdn:

Charles

bgadow
06-10-2008, 10:08 PM
The Radio Historical Society museum in Bowie, MD had (has?) an unbuilt NRI kit. I went and looked at it-solid state with a 25v tube, and the distinct possibility of some missing parts. (they knew one box was misplaced, but were pretty sure they had it somewhere; in one of the boxes that was opened I spotted not TV parts but a case for an AM table radio kit) I did put a bid in on it but they said so far the high bid was $200, which was about $150 more than I wanted to sink into it.

ChrisW6ATV
06-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Around the mid-to-late 90's, a friend and I could have taken away for free an unbuilt Heathkit 25" color TV kit, with its CRT in a separate box. It was at the end of theday at a local ham-radio swap meet, and I think we had both already bought a few heavy objects or otherwise just didn't have the desire to lug "another project" home. Dumb, dumb, dumb!