View Full Version : Are these TV's Roundie's Rare?

bigolds98
05-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello all. I came across this estate sale in Flint Michigan and saw these in the photos of the sale. What I was wondering is what it the make of this roundie and is it rare?. I can't make it to this sale but here is the link to the sale. There is another roundie made into the wall but it looks to be a black and white. Here is the link to the sale.
http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/36723.aspx

Eric H
05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't recognize that first set, looks to be a color roundie, maybe a CTC4? so I'd say yes, it's probably a rare one!

bgadow
05-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Wow, talk about a time warp! That first one might be an off-brand? Somebody needs to grab it. That second one would be neat to check out, too, but hard to save. I've always wanted to see such an installation in person.

Dave A
05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
And is that a UHF converter on top? The other wallmount looks like a DuMont/Crosley of some sort.

Dave A

bigolds98
05-14-2008, 11:11 PM
If the people running the sale didn't have those stupid hours I would go get the color roundie. I would have to leave work early and spend a fourtune in gas. That is about 80 mile away from me.

Sandy G
05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah, the color roundie is VERY "1956ish" looking. the one built into the wall may not be color, but looks to be VERY old-I'd try to grab both of 'em if I could.

Dave A
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Bigolds98,

You go. Tell the boss I said it is ok. I'll buy the gas. You buy the set for me. I send you a check. We figure out delivery to Phila. Don't forget the UHF converter.

It should fit in the back seat of the 98.

That will be McVoy in your rear-view mirror. Jokes aside, I am interested. I'm guessing Admiral given the location.

Dave A

kx250rider
05-15-2008, 12:04 AM
That's a metal tube COLOR set, definitely no newer than '57! May be a Sentinel or another off brand. I've seen the Sams on that set, but I'd have to go digging. It's absolutely a desirable set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And remember, I'm not very dramatic as a rule, and I don't use this many exclamation points very often. And the built-in set: COULD be a 30" DuMont tube. Not sure, definitely a 24 or bigger.

Charles

radiotvnut
05-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Those are nice sets and need to be saved if at all possible!

I don't think that's a UHF converter. It looks like an early '50's RCA Victor 5 tube AM radio. I was just looking at the red version in one of my books.

I also see what looks like a console Hi-Fi or stereo phonograph / radio combo.

Steve McVoy
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks to the generosity of Darryl Hock, we got the color set for the Early Television museum for a whopping $50. Darryl says it is in excellent condition and will have some pictures when he gets it home.

It is a Sentinal IU-816, made in 1956, and using a 21AXP22. Here is some information on the set:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/sentinal_iu816.html

The black and white set mounted in the wall wasn't for sale.

jpdylon
05-15-2008, 09:37 AM
great save, Steve! Look forward to seeing it restored and back in action again.

stromberg6
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
That sure is a pretty blond!!

kx250rider
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
That's good news that it's on it's way to safety and in good hands... I have never even seen a Sentinel color set, except for having recognized it from a Sams folder. Had it gone to eBay, it would have been in the $2500 range I'm sure.

Charles

oldtvman
05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I emailed the sellers and the color set is already gone, otherwise I might have drove up to Michigan to go after it. I don't recognize the make or model

zenithfan1
05-15-2008, 01:58 PM
That's great Steve! Congrats!!! I'm glad to see the ETF get it, now we can all see it up close. My timing is always off on these things, Bob and I were passing by Flint this time last week! I sure wish something like that would pop up around here, patience and time will tell. The search continues.......

tubesrule
05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
The set is back home, and I took some pictures to post while I have it. It was in a very upper end part of town with large mansions all around. The house was built in 1951, so the custom built in Dumont was original to the house. The Sentinel looks like it was purchased by them in 1956, placed in the game room, and never moved. It still has many original Sentinel tubes with 43rd week 1955 and 13th week 1956 date codes. The crt is the original 21AXP22 with a date code of 17th week 1956. I was surprised when one of the workers for the sales company told me they plugged it in and the set worked with a good picture. Sure enough they had a set of rabbit ears from a modern portable set sitting on top.

Darryl

zenithfan1
05-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Absolutely beautiful! The condition is as close to flawless as you can get. Also, too cool that it still works well after all this time. Thanks for the great pics!

Sandy G
05-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow...Just wow... Talk about the proverbial "Duesenberg-in-the-Barn"...That OTHER set could very well be the elusive Royal Sovereign, if it was installed in '51...

Steve D.
05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Just to add to the discussion. This Sentinel set (SAMS set 344, 1-57) with slighly different circuitry and in an identical cabinet, was sold by Montgomery Ward and had the Airline badge on it (SAMS set 324, 7-56). The Airline version seems to have been on the market first.
Even many misc. parts such as knobs ect. share a common part number for either Wards or Sentinel.

One of the photos on Darryl's post shows a label that gives patent credit to RCA. I would be curious as to who manufactured these sets?

-Steve D.

bigolds98
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Gees I hosed myself. Are you guys glad I was stupid. I really wanted to go get that but did not know it was a super rare set. I am just glad Steve got it and it going to the museum. Man! I am still bummed. Anyways I am glad it did not go to the trash.

Sandy G
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
That's the main thing-that it DIDN'T go to the Dumpster...

tubesrule
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm not going to try running the set, that's for Steve, but I did check the crt, and after only 1 minute of warmup, all three guns were at the very top of the scale on my Sencore with the red slightly higher then the other two! This set could not have seen much use over the years.
I'll be looking forward to see how good of a picture it produces when Steve gets done with it.

Darryl

zenithfan1
05-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I'll be looking forward to see how good of a picture it produces when Steve gets done with it.

Darryl

ME TOO!!!!!!:thmbsp::yes::D

stromberg6
05-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I like the way Sentinel "rolled their own" as to certain chassis and circuit designs. The RF/IF section is interesting, as it features four IF amps. The audio and vertical sections also differ from CTC-4 clones. Have to look this one up in Sams to compare to others.
Congratulations on a great find!!!
Kevin

Carmine
05-19-2008, 04:38 AM
I'll chime in on this too... Dave (Big Olds) contacted me about the set and gave me a heads up. I told him the blonde set was certainly a color TV, and mid-late 50s at that.

The problem with this estate sale was they had the STUPIDEST hours ever! Thursday from 10-5pm, and Friday from 10-2pm. So much for people with actual jobs! Also the sale was held in Flint, MI about 70 miles from where Dave and I live.

However I work with a guy who lives in Flint... turns out he lives pretty close to where the sale was held. He was nice enough to call his wife and have her go over to the sale for me on Thursday... I wasn't driving to Flint just to find it was either sold, or priced at $10K.

She got there pretty close to when the sale opened, but the set was already sold. She says the people running the sale wished they had one for everybody who called asking about it!

Oh well, glad to hear it at least went to a good home. :D