View Full Version : rca 2002

sampson159
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
i just picked up a rca atc113ca1 36 analog set. squeals when plugged in. i have had this problem on ctc 167-197 chassis before. havent got into this one yet. any tips or info is greatly appreciated. this one is a little too new for my blood,however,i am always willing to learn.thanks and the greatest techs on the planet are here in this forum.

rca2000
05-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, I would guess one of two things::

(1--the "wobbling pin has come loose from the wiggling gear"..:D

(Something I picked up from a late friend)..

Seriously..I know that chassis pretty well. It is like the CTC-203, BUT with more digital "stuff " on it.

The "squeal " is from the SMT transformer and is due to the fact that the B+ line is overloaded, because of a shorted Horizontal output. One of 2 things causes this (sometimes both.)

(1--bad connections on the coil from the driver transformer to the base of the h-out. You MUST resolder ALL of the paths from the driver transformer to the h-out, AFTER you put in a new one.

(2--a bad flyback. It MAY have been bad from the begining, OR it MAY have been "killed" due to the overload of current from the H-out short. How to tell?? Put in a new one, resolder the connections on the path to it (ALL of them!!) and see if it will "run". IF it "tries to start" but shuts down" Most likely then, the fly is bad.

sampson159
05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
THANKS-i knew the hot was bad and possibly the flyback.i always changed out the damper diode with all hot s on those good ctc sets from the 90s.this set was a monster to lift and transport in the trunk!

radiotvnut
05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I've also seen those flybacks arc and take the HOT with it. I've also noticed that the 32" and above sets tend to have more bad flybacks than the smaller screen sets. A word of caution: a shorted HOT and/or flyback can stress the power supply and blow up parts in that area. Anytime you find one of these newer RCA's that squeals, unplug it immediately, if not sooner! I replaced the flyback in this same chassis for a friend a few months ago. I got mine from www.electronixonline.com for around $25, I think. Other than the flybacks and loose connections, these were pretty decent sets.

sampson159
05-09-2008, 10:22 PM
replaced the hot and found a transistor missing at t20.guess he needed it worse than me.replaced and hit some joints and...........ITS ALIVE!!! nice picture for free and i hope i dont have to move it again. thanks to all who helped and the worlds finest techs and human beings live in this forum!!!

sampson159
05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
i spoke too soon. set played great on my bench for about 3 hours. came back-fuse blown and resistor at rp21 smoked out.anyone have a part number or value for that resistor? gonna give it another try.this set has a great picture and
it functioned properly.didnt change the flyback though. any help is appreciated.