View Full Version : Fun things to do with old TVs

Garrard201
04-24-2008, 07:16 PM
I've heard that some people are going to turn their old TVs into aquariums after the digital switch. These are people who plan to buy a new set, of course, rather than a converter. Any other ideas? I hate to just throw mine out, and don't really need them. And some of them don't really have provision for a converter (i.e. black and white with pretty poor external antenna contacts). Thoughts?

RetroHacker
04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
You can hook any TV up to a converter. Any TV. You don't need composite input, as the converters can output RF over channel 3. And the two screw-type 300 ohm antenna terminals have been the defacto standard for YEARS, only within the last 20 years have they been replaced with F connector screw-on co-ax connectors. All you need is a 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching transformer (available at Rat Shack or elsewhere, a couple bucks), and a length of coaxial television cable. That's it. Just put the matching transformer on the VHF terminals, and hook the coax up to it.

-Ian

Garrard201
04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
OK, everyone- I am NOT saying I can't hookup to a digital box. I know how, but I don't need to spend the money to convert dozens of plain jane, black and white TVs with already dying tubes and ratty 300 ohm connectors.

So, please stick to my original question: what would you do with a TV (aside from an aquarium)? Let's just assume the TVs don't work and aren't ultrarare collectibles or anything.

Wigwam Jones
04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
OK, everyone- I am NOT saying I can't hookup to a digital box. I know how, but I don't need to spend the money to convert dozens of plain jane, black and white TVs with already dying tubes and ratty 300 ohm connectors.

So, please stick to my original question: what would you do with a TV (aside from an aquarium)? Let's just assume the TVs don't work and aren't ultrarare collectibles or anything.

You don't understand. You're suggesting that people cannibalize old TV sets to repurpose them. That's like asking for the myriad of ways you can make party favors out of a crucifix to Catholics.

You are about to be debagged and radished by the outraged purists.

Incoming in three, two, one....

Sandy G
04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Uhh, Podner, around here, a bunch of us like to collect & fix up old TVs..."Making an Aquarium" out of one is kinda like raisin' a question about our Mama's morals...

Tony V
04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I knew Unca Sandy was going to step in :) Not a very good topic to post unless your prepared to get some backlash. My opinion would be if you dont want to use them...whether with a converter or not, give them to somebody who does instead of cannibalizing them. Once their gone theres no turning back later.
-Tony

OvenMaster
04-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I refuse to be an unfeeling, irresponsible idiot and suggest target practice. That's just wrong!
Unknown Poster

wa2ise
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Someone in this forum, who lives nearby, will probably be happy to take that old TV off your hands.

Garrard201
04-24-2008, 10:38 PM
WOW- not one suggestion. Just for that, I'm turning them ALL into aquariums.

bgadow
04-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I have never seen anything done with an old tv that made it better than it being an old tv.

A decorator idea that isn't too bad, I recall someone selling such a set on ebay once: pull the safety glass and tape onto the screen a big black and white photo of a screenshot, something typical like Ralph Kramden or Lucille Ball. Put the safety glass back. You have destroyed nothing, and made a genuine decorator item which will look great next to a shabby-chic end table or a Chinese particle board grandfather clock.

AnalogDigit
04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I wish I still had my old black and white TV. It was a GE portable and it was red, white and blue for the Bicentennial of 1976.

If I had one, I would hook up a VCR or DVD to it and just watch old shows. It would be like a nostalgic trip. As for my other color sets, I'm planning to buy an converter box. I like the stations I get over the air in Chicago, and by being over at my friends houses where they had cable or Dish network, I'm not really missing that much. I can't beat the price neither. Free!

radiotvnut
04-24-2008, 11:35 PM
WOW- not one suggestion. Just for that, I'm turning them ALL into aquariums.

Please try to find someone who is into old TV's to take them off your hands. Even if they are in bad shape, there may be parts in there that could be of use to someone.

Eric H
04-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Why don't you tell us exactly what you have, makes, models, then maybe we'll have some ideas but unless they're late model import junk don't expect anything but flames.

fotno
04-25-2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88853&stc=1&d=1209101438

jpdylon
04-25-2008, 12:47 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Great pic Steve. I love it!

compucat
04-25-2008, 07:28 AM
About the only sets that won't be useful on a converter box are the 2" handheld pocket sets. I plan to connect even my 5" portables to a converter box. I have some good black and white 5 inchers from the early eighties that I just don't want to part with. My next TV project is going to be a 1978 12" B&W GE set that I just got some donor parts for. It will go into my working TV and radio display and get regular use on a digital converter along with my 8" RCA 1956 "portable".

cdmarion
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
IT'S TIME FOR THIS THREAD TO DIE. And yes I know caps mean I'm yelling.:thumbsdn:

Sandy G
04-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Mr. Marion- Love the story of the restoration on the Tele-Bar.

Tony V
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88853&stc=1&d=1209101438
After reading his last reply, i realized also the subject starter was trolling...good pic fotno!..time to let this one go.
-Tony

Eric H
04-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree, therefore I'm locking it before it can get ugly.