View Full Version : Hallicrafter 1946 Black & White-Television - $500 (Milwaukee )

mkoser
04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Neat looking TV... but $500????

Is it worth that???

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/clt/631933435.html

Matt K

M3-SRT8
04-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't think it's a '46...not with a 2-13 Rotary Channel Selector. Looks to be a '50 or '51 Console. They didn't start making TV's until...1948?

Nice looking Set. But, $500? I dunno.....

LJB:smoke:

Big Dave
04-15-2008, 06:07 PM
It's an early 50's model and definitely not worth 500. I have its mahogony cousin and I only paid 35.

M3-SRT8
04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Hey, Big Dave.

What Model # is yours? Is it Up and Running?

Sandy G
04-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Early '50s. NOT worth $500. $50 would be Big Bux for it. Now if it had been one of those Raymond Loewy-designed 7" sets w/the pushbutton tuner, MAYBE $150-200.

Big Dave
04-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Mine is an 820. Right now, I think the hor out has failed me, but no tube in the junk box. Mine wasn't very well made. I discovered that as I restore it. To be totally honest, I don't really feel like rewiring the hor out to take a 6DQ6 or equivilent. I'll wait for the ETF convention. Either way, my Halli will run again.

mkoser
04-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I just offered 50.... is that being insulting?

MK

mkoser
04-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Reply from the seller....

THIS IS AN "AM ONLY" IN NEW CONDITION NEVER USED ONLY STORED FOR 60 YEARS. AS FOR THE DATE OF ORIGIN :HALL TV: MILWAUKEE SOLD IT IN 1950. $500-FIRM

Funny what happens to people when they think they've found a gold mine... I don't think it's so much of trying to be deceiving and get a "score" as it is people equate OLD with PRICELESS...

Oh well, looks like my wallet will be a little heavier!

MK

radotvguy
04-16-2008, 06:07 AM
not worth 500 bucks , now how , the guy is dreaming !!!!!!!!!

Sandy G
04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Smokin' Wacky Backy is more like it...(grin)

WISCOJIM
04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Funny what happens to people when they think they've found a gold mine... I don't think it's so much of trying to be deceiving and get a "score" as it is people equate OLD with PRICELESS...

If you had a like "brand new" TV from the early 1950's still with the box, what would it take for you to part with it? Something like that, even if not a rare set, would be one fantastic display item. I wouldn't sell it for less than he is asking, it's a showpiece.

mkoser
04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I have an airline console radio from the 40's that still had the burlap wrapping stuffed in the cabinet.. I paid 20 bucks for it...

MK

ohohyodafarted
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
If you had a like "brand new" TV from the early 1950's still with the box, what would it take for you to part with it? Something like that, even if not a rare set, would be one fantastic display item. I wouldn't sell it for less than he is asking, it's a showpiece.

Looks like most of the collectors here don't agree with you Jim. And it sure is odd how you posted your opinion justifying this set's high value only minutes after I sent the owner a link to this discussion here on AK. :scratch2:

I have been in touch with this guy (he is in my town) and he tells a story that is quite unbelieveable.

Here is what he wrote me And note: he types in all caps yelling at me.

I HAVE BEEN CALLED BY 4 PEOPLE AND EACH CLAIMS A DIFFERENT YEAR 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952, THE SET HAS BEEN IN A DRY ATTIC IN SEALED PLASTIC FOR THE PAST 17 YEARS AND WAS TURNED ON FOR 2-MINUTES FOR PICTURES. THE SET WAS IN THE ORIGINAL-SEALED BOX WHEN I GOT IT IN 1991 WHEN THE MAN WHO OWNED IT DIED AND I BOUGHT HIS HOUSE IN MILWAUKEE. THE SET WAS IN A SEALED ATTIC BEDROOM FOR THE CHILDREN THAT HE NEVER HAD, HIS WIFE DIED IN 1970 AND ALL THE THINGS THAT WERE BOUGHT FOR THEIR CHILDREN THAT THEY NEVER HAD WERE STILL SEALED IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING. A CHICAGO DEALER SAID THE SET IS WORTH MORE THAN $500.
DAVID 414-803-5448

Oh yes, and BTW, that set in my avatar is a pristine fully restored 1951 Halli 820 with NOS crt and there is no way it would ever fetch $500. It just isn't that rare. And rarity, condition and age are what determines a sets value, not some story about how it was stored in the attic for 50 years and was never used. Yea Right!

mkoser
04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I've got a bridge among other things I'd like to sell to this "Chicago Dealer"

MK

M3-SRT8
04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
One of the things I like about this Hobby is it's easy on the wallet. These TV's are just largely "in the way" of most people cleaning out an attic or basement, or sifting through Grandma's leftover stuff.

That's ok. More stuff for us...cheap!

The other thing I like about this hobby is ressurecting long dead equipment to good working order. Few people expect a 55-60 year old TV set to work. I love the looks on their faces...

WISCOJIM
04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Looks like most of the collectors here don't agree with you Jim. And it sure is odd how you posted your opinion justifying this set's high value only minutes after I sent the owner a link to this discussion here on AK. :scratch2:

I have been in touch with this guy (he is in my town) and he tells a story that is quite unbelieveable.

Here is what he wrote me And note: he types in all caps yelling at me.

Oh yes, and BTW, that set in my avatar is a pristine fully restored 1951 Halli 820 with NOS crt and there is no way it would ever fetch $500. It just isn't that rare. And rarity, condition and age are what determines a sets value, not some story about how it was stored in the attic for 50 years and was never used. Yea Right!

To be honest, I wouldn't pay you $50 for your set. I don't care for the styling, and I certainly have no room for it. But a brand new one in the box, even at $500 would sure be tempting.

I have been collecting radios and televisions for well over 30 years. A pristine original radio or TV with all original packaging has always been worth more than a similar model used or restored. Rarity and supply/demand are often unrelated in this modern world, just look at eBay pricing for example. All you need to do is find the right buyer at the right time. There are many items from my youth that I would gladly pay big bucks for to have another of, especially in unused original condition, even though others would scoff at me for paying so much. Many of the high prices that are gained on otherwise common sets are because two or more people really want the item for reasons others may not be aware of.

And the same is true for almost any collectable old item. That's just the way it is. Whether as you say most collectors here don't agree with me, I couldn't care less if they do or don't. I do know there are people that would pay to place a set like this in their collection, even if none appear to be in the Milwaukee market and watching craigslist at the moment.

I know this because I have bought and sold many brand new in sealed carton radios over the last 30 years. A TV that may have been in a sealed carton for 40 years is not all together unbelievable, although the story in this case is quite odd. I myself have found lots of 30-60 year old NOS radios and other electronics in unsold store inventories that I bought when local TV/radio dealerships closed shop.

And a strange story, even a bizarre one such as this seller gave you, may not be 100% true, but it could easily have a lot of truth to it. With billions of people on the planet, almost anything can, will, and does happen. You were not present when the seller got the set in 1991, so you can't be 100% sure what he was told by the people he bought it from. His story could in fact be true, or at least the truth as presented to him/her.

And it sure sounds as though you are implying something with your second sentence. Are you alleging I'm shilling for the seller? If so, come on out and say it. For the record, I have had no contact with the seller at all, and I have no idea who he or she is. I merely made observations that many of the early responders here seemed to completely have missed, that being that the set was in new condition complete with it's original box. How many sets like that still exist? That's definitely worth a premium, even if it isn't a valuable set otherwise. I find it insulting that someone with an opinion different than yours would be treated to such an accusatory remark from you.

Steve McVoy
04-16-2008, 09:02 PM
If the set was still in its original box (If I read correctly, the box disappeared in 1991) and if the set still had all its original literature and tags, it is possible that the set would be worth $500. But this set doesn't have any of this, and the story of its origin may or may not be true. It might be worth $50 to someone who loves 50s sets.

By the way, I don't know of any Chicago antique TV dealers.

mkoser
04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I do know there are people that would pay to place a set like this in their collection, even if none appear to be in the Milwaukee market and watching craigslist at the moment.

Forward me thier number, and I'll set them one for only $600.00

:) :) :)

MK

Eric H
04-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I agree with Steve, if it had all the original materials and was mint it might very well be worth $500 to someone.

Remember the $500 VT-71 recently on eBay, it wasn't even NIB just very clean, some people want the best and will pay for it.

Me, I'll wait for a NIB 621TS :D

bgadow
04-16-2008, 09:38 PM
As it is, he just has a clean old TV set of a type which is still dime-a-dozen. (in some cases, literally) Anyone can play expert and put any price they want on something...if the "appraiser" is willing to shell out $500, that makes it worth at least $500. If the appraiser isn't interested in buying it for that amount then all bets are off. Last year a woman in my town asked me to look at her radio, a Kuba hi-fi console in a cheap cabinet, average condition, not working. After pressing me for a while I finally told her she might find someone to give her $100 for it, maybe more in the right situtation. Months later she called and asked if I would take the radio, for free, which I did and I parted it out. The truth was that, to me, the radio was not worth $5. Anyway, the seller here will find out soon enough what the TV is worth.

Phil Nelson
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
A CHICAGO DEALER SAID THE SET IS WORTH MORE THAN $500.
When someone gives me that "a dealer told me" line, I tell them to go back and sell it to the dealer, who clearly thinks it's a good investment. That usually ends the debate.

Phil Nelson

M3-SRT8
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
When someone gives me that "a dealer told me" line, I tell them to go back and sell it to the dealer, who clearly thinks it's a good investment. That usually ends the debate.

Phil Nelson

Amen to That.

PS: Phil, my 630TS is resplendent in it's completely refinished and relabeled Cabinet. Reliable, too, since I replaced the origional Ballast Resistors with new, 25 watt Ohmite wirewounds...