View Full Version : This sounds like a scam to me

radiotvnut
04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
OK, so I placed an ad a while back on my facebook page looking for Zenith vacuum tube TV's from the '60's or '70's. The first thing I saw when I got online this morning was an e-mail that I could tell by the subject line was concerning that wanted ad. All excited, I opened the e-mail thinking I'd found something. This is what I got:

"Dear friend:
we are an electronical wholesale company which are located in USA , and have a filiale in China; we have lots of products: high quality; low price; such as digital cameras, mobile, LCD TV, Laptops Notebooks, Digital Video, Mp4, GPS, and so on.
In order to gratulate Olympic Games of 2008years is coming! our company have a favourable campaign; if you can purchase 2items from our company. we can give you a wholesale price, about 30EUR every one. if you can buy more; you will get more chance;
This is a god-given chance. we hope you can hold it quickly.
Happy your family and your business; thanks

Needless to say, I said a few choice words. Here I am looking for vintage TV's and some company is trying to pass their Chinese s--t off on me! Really, I don't even know if this is legit or a scam. Any thoughts?

gladiator335
04-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Looks like it. Though it's possible some chinese guys trying to unload whatever they build there (these days pretty much all low end stuff). Either way I wouldn't buy from them...

electroking
04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Who would use such strange words as "electronical" and "filiale" in writing
such an ad?

mr_fixer
04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I used to get the same type of emails on my ePay auctions. They would use the ask the seller a question button, with the same content in their message. I think ePay cracked down on them. They must be trolling facebook and myspace now.

zenithfan1
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
My ebay is sometimes plagued with that same ad! I get mad at these people and let them know it, they have been leaving me alone. They use the "ask seller a question" link when I sell stuff, pi**es me off! BIGTIME scam in my opinion, let 'em know how you feel about it, they might leave you alone too.

Sandy G
04-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh, my Bullshit-O-Rama meter about pegged just readin' the 1st line or 2...