View Full Version : Zenith space command 600 from NY is here!

drh4683
03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
You probably remember me posting about this TV on AK back in November. I was offered this 1966 Zenith space command 600 through my website. I really wanted it, but was not ready to spend the money on getting it over here. Unforuntately, nobody was able to save it who lived close by to Stamford, NY.
I kept in touch with the lady as I said I would save it if nobody else was able to get out there. Thanks to uship.com, I was able to find someone who was able to deliver it to me for a very reasonable price. I advertized for someone to pick up the TV on tuesday and the delivery service placed a bid that I accpeted and was picked up last tuesday and delived to me wednesday evening.
Luckily, the lady saved it all these months. It was no big deal though as it was in an unused room of a home she was renting out.
I was somewhat dissapointed with the way the courier packaged the TV. The idiot acutally wrapped duct tape around the TV to keep the doors closed!!!!!!!!!!! Had a large peice of duct tape holding the power cord onto the back of the set. I couldnt belive what I was seeing when he opened up the van. I didnt get too upset. As soon as we took the set out of the van, we set it in the garage. As he stood their watching, I carefully peeled the tape off hoping that I would not pull veneer off or create any other kind of damage. I was more concerned with the grey paint getting pulled off the back cover.
Unbelievably, the tape came off perfectly without one bit of damage or marking, even the back cover is perfectly safe and undamaged. Since it came off so well, I let it go and didnt give the guy any crap even though I should have.
The shipper was a one man operation. I told him he would need help, but he didnt think it would be an issue. Supposedly, he had to ask some firefighter down the street to help him move it from the upstairs room to the van. I guess thats a good thing as if it went on a dolly, he probably would have not used padding!

The TV itself was everything I hoped it would be. Its a 1966 Model 9351 with the 25MC46 chassis. Zeniths top model set that year according to my sales brochures. This is a special set as it is Zenith's first rectangular screen TV chassis. Note the huge post deflection purity rings! You dont see these on any other chassis. Very clean set with some very minor marks. The chassis was still screwd down and no missing hardware which is good. CRT got replaced very professionally in 1975 with a zenith chormacolor CRT. The tech did a nice job putting all the screws back in place and reattaching the wireties.

The TV did work pretty good for the most part but had some odd HV regulation issues and the sound was somewhat distored. Zenith still used the 6BK4 shunt regulator in this chassis.
I had practically no range on the HV adjustment. I looked into the circuit and found the 1 meg HV control went up in value to 7 meg! The 1.5M 1watt resistor to ground from the pot also went up a bit in value to 1.7M. It supposed to be a 5% tolerance, which it obviously was no longer within tolerance. I was able to pull one of those pots off my 25NC38 parts chassis. Put in a new NTE 2% 1.5M. The regulator grid to cathode cap was a little leaky too. Put in a new sprage .1uf orange drop.

Distorted sound? Go figure, the only black beauty (.0068@200v) in this entire set was the one to blame in the grid of the 6BN6!

Now the set is working the way it should be at this point. HV control and good range and was able to set it at 25KV at zero beam near center of its range. shunt regulator working good too. The set uses the HI FI chassis with the seperate bass and treble controls and a 6BQ5 output. The sound quality and output is outstanding.

And like I expected, the remote wouldnt work. You can thank that 10uF@3v lytic in the power supply of the sc chassis. Also had a callins 200uf@35 lytic in there that was ready to let loose. Nice large crack in the plastic casing. Got the sc chassis to work. Slight touch up of the detector coils got it working like new.

Setting the purity was kind of intersting slideing those large masonite rings with the magnets back and fourth. I like the post deflection purity system, very unique, but like all first generation designs, they find a way to do it easier and cheaper, so away they did with the post deflection purity for the '67 sets.

The set has a nice bright picture. It didnt get a ton of use, still had almost all of its orignal tubes and just about all of them were good still, even the HOT, which was a good hint that the HOT cathode current was low and cool.

Ive been pretty busy with TV repairs this week. Kept me very busy after work, yet Ive been really busy with work too. Time to take a break for a while. My basement is like a 70's TV shop. All of these sets apart getting repaired. Unfortunately, there are no customers to come pick them up.........They just accumulate after they get repaired!

Sandy G
03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Another "Glorious Lollipop Color" set...Even if it's not a roundie !!

orthophonic
03-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Beautiful set!
That is the model that is in Jim Phelps apartment in season two of Mission Impossible.

zenithfan1
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm glad you got it up and running, that is a beautiful set. It was worth the trouble to get it shipped. You cleaned up that cabinet really well, perfect bright picture too!