View Full Version : What's the best stuff to watch on a roundie?

veg-o-matic
03-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Just sitting here wondering what shows/movies/etc. would be the most appropriate for watching on a roundie.
Two that spring to mind are the 1964 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (wish I could find it with the original GE commercials. I can still remember seeing the little elves flying around on toaster ovens and steam irons and stuff) and Batman. Something about both of those just looks better on a roundie.
Opinions?

Dave A
03-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Find a copy (DVD will be more stable) of the 1959 recording of "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin. Available at most video stores or on ebay. The VHS may be out of print though. It was recorded at the old NBC Brooklyn studios in glorious RCA TK-41 color (3 camera shoot). It was mastered from the original video tape about 10 years ago. It does not have the NBC peacock on it though.

Another place is your local PBS affiliate. During fund raisers, they will trot out an old Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Judy Garland song and dance special from the early 60's. Not great color on this one. There is a show with these three called "Once in a Lifetime" on Amazon from 1962. $15 for VHS. Not sure if this the same show.

Another new one just aired here on PBS in Philadelphia this weekend. Again a song and dance special with Carol Channing and Perle Bailey (and I forgot to record it!). It is from 1969. The color is very good and saturated. Not sure what cameras were used. Too good for TK-41's. Possibly TK-42's or a GE. Not the usual bluish cast of a Norelco. I just checked Amazon and it is available there for $23 plus shipping. One hour long. It is called "Carol Channing and Perle Bailey on Broadway".

The rarest would be "An Evening with Fred Astaire" from 1958. Unless the UCLA Film Archives is selling copies of this, what you find would be probably a bootleg and several generations copied. UCLA restored this show several years ago. It is the oldest known color recording to survive. Some copies have the Chrysler commericials in it. So I am told.

You can also buy copies of "The Cisco Kid", a film western from the early 50's. Very good color. Lot's of other color film shows available. "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon" and "Bonanza" come to mind. If you don't mind the new commercials, check TVLand on the cable. "Gunsmoke" is currently on their lineup.

Big Dave
03-10-2004, 12:32 AM
I tried to watch AMERICAN DREAMS on my Andrea (BW) roundie. It was no better on my Andrea than it was on my 20-some year old RCA colortrak (rescued from the garbage). I do have Archie Bunker on DVD, and since AITF would have been watched on a lot of roundies, I think I'll try it. I know this is the COLOR thread, but my color roundies are three hours away and unrestored. I think I'll try the episode where Archie is interviewed for CBS news. His TV dies minutes before the news, he insults the repairman and had to go to Kelsey's to watch. Then again, Archie would be good on either BW or color roundies.

I have BW soap opera episodes that would be good here too.

Kamakiri
03-10-2004, 06:30 AM
Star Trek! :D

Found this shot from member klatuu pictured on the screen of a roundie....

captainmoody
03-10-2004, 08:07 AM
How about Dark Shadows? Does anyone remember that oldie??
My aunt and uncle watched it on their 1963 Magnavox combo.
When our family were at their house they would turn it on and watch it with my sisters. Must have been around 68 or 69.
By the way, That tv is still in mint condition and is in (murpho) Jim Murphy's collection!

PUNK ROCK DUDE
03-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Dave brought up something interesting. I have seen that animated peacock thing once or twice on one of those reunion/flashback shows the networks do from time to time. It looks way cool especially with the color intensity turned up. Does anyone out there know if the NBC peacock animation thing is on DVD or VHS somewhere? That would be so cool on an old color set. BTW, that Indian head test pattern would be cool to look at too even if it is only B&W. Anyone seen that on VHS or DVD?

Steve K
03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
The peacock animation along with the other network's color presentation logos are located on the following website:
http://www.kingoftheroad.net/KARD_html/kard4.html

I am not sure if they can be downloaded though.

Steve

Sandy G
03-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Oh, Hello-Fuzzie !! Dark Shadows ! Raced home from skule to see that one. 1st or 2nd generation videotape- well, they had to learn SOMEPLACE, I guess. Loved to try to find the flubs in it. Yeah, that would be good on a roundie. Anybody else ever remember seeing a COLOR kinescope of Marlene Dietrich singing "Lili Marlene" in front of an orchestra? Seems like it was from '49 or '50, must have been some experimental thing. Maybe it was that CBS color system.-Sandy G.

heathkit tv
03-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Dang, I too was gonna mention the original Star Truck. But you need a real nice generation copy, not the typical 4232523 generation prints that are so common. Anyone have a copy of the long version of the blooper reel? I saw this at the very first ST convention in NYC back in the early 70's.

Believe it or crap, but as a young un, I modeled with the girl from Dark Shadows!
-ANT

Steve Hoffman
03-10-2004, 11:35 AM
You need to buy that DVD of Howdy Doody, the one with the last episode. It's in beautiful NBC color, complete with Peacock and commercials, right from the original 2" video. It's awesome..Even has the "slate" at the beginning with some candid studio chatter..

polaraman
03-10-2004, 03:03 PM
My vote is for HR Puff and Stuff! Great colors in all the characters. Witchie Poo looks real stunning! Watched the marathon on Tv land a few weeks ago. Had to turn up the color to make it more interesting.

polaraman

Steve D.
03-10-2004, 05:00 PM
One of our local PBS stations was running the Tennessee Ernie Ford show in color. These from '59-'63 or so. I also enjoy VHS copies of The Perry Como Show in color from the late 50's early 60's. Both were NBC shows and used TK-41 cameras. Also I have to agree with Steve Hoffman that the Howdy Doody color dvd is exceptional. My favorite, though, is the Disney VHS "An Adventure in Color." This episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney" was the first color Disney show aired on NBC after the switch from ABC. Great color with Walt and Ludwig Von Drake explaining color and color television. I hope a DVD version becomes available.

PUNK ROCK DUDE
03-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Now to find the un-butchered Bugs Bunny, Road runner-Coyote, Flintstones and Woody Woodpecker cartoons! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was cool too but I think that was much later than those other cartoons.

Sandy G
03-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Yeah....an' Foghorn Leghorn ! Remember him taking a board & smackin' the ass of that dog good 'n' hard ?!? Geeez.. Ahh, the Good Ole Days before P.C. !!!-Sandy G.

Chad Hauris
03-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Do they still air the old cartoons on cable TV (we don't have cable available in my area). I remember that the old WB cartoons were the best, they used to air them on ABC, Saturday mornings. Also remember checking out the 16mm films from the library, they had some of the Bugs Bunny cartoons.

PUNK ROCK DUDE
03-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Chad,
I might be wrong on this but I don't beleive anyone still airs those WB cartoons in the unaltered form due to parent groups saying those cartoons contain harmful violence.
Jeff

polaraman
03-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Damn those tree huggers!

merrylander
03-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Are you sure it was not Ashcroft?:D

Rob

Eric H
03-11-2004, 02:42 PM
The Prelinger Archive at www.archive.org has an incredible color film called "American Look"

"The definitive Populuxe film on 1950s automotive, industrial, interior and architectural design"

It's available for free download in three parts if you have a high speed connection.

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=08389a

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=08389b

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=08389c

It can be burned to a Video CD and played through a DVD player.

I would be willing to make a couple copies and send them out for us to pass around and share if anyones interested.

Prelinger endorses this type of non commercial use so pirating is not an issue here :)

Andyman
03-11-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure on the timeline, but it seems to me some Ed Sullivan would be perfect. You know, Topo Gigio, the guys spinning the plates on the sticks, the animal acts, etc, the whole shebang!

Like in "Bye-bye, Birdie" when Paul Lynde sings "Ed Sullll-i-vannnnnnnnn" with the choir. :D

veg-o-matic
03-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Ed Sullivan! Yeah! Why didn't I think of that?
Also Andy Williams or Perry Como Christmas specials.
Or maybe an original commercial for the particular set you're watching !

As for the Prelinger Archives, go, go, go! They've got so much interesting stuff it boggles the mind including...an original commercial for an RCA color set with remote control! Only problem with the site is that downloads are often very slow. Still, many things are well worth the wait.

heathkit tv
03-11-2004, 08:52 PM
How about Bonanza or any major parade or sporting event? And for those later 70's sets, Sonny and Cher!

Anthony

Charlie
03-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Here are two of my favorites... Bewitched...

Charlie
03-12-2004, 12:25 AM
...and I Dream of Jeannie. Also... Gilligan, Beaver, Lucy, and Scooby! :)

wa2ise
03-12-2004, 01:20 PM
How about the Flintstones? Remember cigarette commercials? Though the below is a B&W set, I wanted to show Barney Rubble hawking Winston Cigarettes!

heathkit tv
03-12-2004, 02:54 PM
If Winston marketed a chocolate flavored cigarette then they could combine advertising forces with Coco Puff cereal!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Anthony

Charlie
03-12-2004, 08:19 PM
That's something you don't see every day... Barney Rubble promoting smoking!

Hmmm.... i wonder what Shaggy and Scooby might promote? Shaggy was a late-60's teenager... I'm sure he was up to no good behind the scenes! :D

classicradios
03-13-2004, 04:33 PM
How about these?

Charlie
03-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Have no fear... Underdog is here! Geez! I haven't seen Underdog in years!!!

wa2ise
03-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Great screen shots. Oddly enough, the cartoon shots reminded me that when I was a kid in the sixties that I was not unhappy watching those cartoons in B&W. I though the colors were too overdone, and that the B&W TV "toned them down" to a reasonable level... Mostly the recent production (at the time) cartoons were too colorful for my tastes.

I also remember that "Astro Boy" (a Japanese import dubbed into English) was too jumpy (seems that they updated the motion about once every 1/4 second). WB cartoons had much smoother animation and you didn't see the same scenery passing by like you did in the Flintstones. Years later a Japanese co-worker was suprized to hear that I knew about Astro Boy. Was a big thing there.

Eric H
03-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Classicradios, those are some great screen shots!

I too haven't seen underdog in years. What was in his Secret Underdog Energy Pill anyway?

heathkit tv
03-14-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Eric H
Classicradios, those are some great screen shots!

I too haven't seen underdog in years. What was in his Secret Underdog Energy Pill anyway?

classicradios
03-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Here are a few more ideas. Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special and the 1940's Superman cartoons. I watch these DVD's on the old color set.
Jim

bgadow
03-18-2004, 01:11 PM
That Elvis show, if its the one I'm thinking of, my mother has on tape & I watched it once. A real great period piece with lots of video effects that must have been real cutting edge at the time-multiple pictures especially. Fun to watch just for that. Would be great on an early RCA rectangular set especially. (being an NBC show, and all)

heathkit tv
03-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Am thinking that any quality recording of a Technicolor movie should really display nicely.

Technicolor's colors are really rich and almost have a cartoonish quality to them (as opposed to a more bland but natural/realistic tone)

This combined with the roundies bolder colors should really be over the top!

Anthony

THOR
03-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Commercials for a a nice 16:9, 51" HDTV? ;)

Wedweb
03-21-2004, 01:31 AM
I noticed at my local Walgreen's that they have quite a bit of vintage movies and some tv shows on DVD.

To answer your question about what to watch on a roundie....

Rollie Pollie Ollie of coursie.

'cause he's small and smart and round....

wedweb~Bo

veg-o-matic
03-23-2004, 02:46 PM
It occurred to me yesterday that Family Affair would look great on a roundie--'specially that opening sequence with the kaleidoscope-looking background. Not one of my favorite shows, but it might be worth looking at.

Oh, and Hullabaloo . And Where the Action Is .

Anyone know if any of these are on DVD? If not, I'll just have to wait until TV Land starts showing 'em and then record them--to DVD.

Can you tell I have a new toy?

Oh, and another one on the way!

classicradios
03-23-2004, 05:33 PM
How about favorite Movies to watch on a roundie?
My top 2 picks would be:
"The Odd Couple" (original from 1968)
"Going in Style" (With George Burns and Art Carney 1980?)

Jim

Charlie
03-23-2004, 10:05 PM
I recently watched Mine, Yours, and Ours from 1968 with Henry Fonda and Lucy on my roundie. My mother was here watching it with me. She said it was as if we had stepped back in time. :D

polaraman
03-23-2004, 10:49 PM
I already suggested H R Puff and Stuff! Want to mention that TV land is going to have a Green Acers matathon this week end. Saw a little bit of a episode 2 nights ago, and it was cool. The color was really great! Arnold has never looked better!

polaraman

Kamakiri
03-24-2004, 05:56 AM
Sicne everyone's been talking about this, I just won an auction on eBay that should be good for a roundie :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2794990681&category=25208&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

If anyone wants a copy, let me know :)

veg-o-matic
03-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Yours, Mine, and Ours ! Yes, yes yes.

Also The Parent Trap (original version only, please) and That Touch of Mink .
Gotta love Doris.

jasonlava
03-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by veg-o-matic
Yours, Mine, and Ours ! Yes, yes yes.

Also The Parent Trap (original version only, please) and That Touch of Mink .
Gotta love Doris.

YES! Any early color Disney... I'd venture to say as late as Escape to Witch Mountain.

Wishing I had a color roundie to sit on top the Zenith.

Sandy G
03-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Anybody remember "Please Don't Eat the Daises?" So-so show, but it WAS in color & would look good on a roundie, I think. The 2nd & 3rd seasons of "Lost in Space" were in color, as was the last seasons of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". Wish they'd have "The Time Tunnel" on Sci-Fi or TV land, but it was only one season, same w/"Land of the Giants". Guess you can tell I'm an Irwin Allen fan...-Sandy G.

classicradios
03-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Oooooh Sci-Fi!
Any Color Sci-Fi would be great on a Roundie. I've been waiting for Forbidden Planet to air, The last time it did it was the Letter Box version. I wonder if it's available in full screen? Last month I watched "Fantastic Voyage" on the Roundie, Very nice. Of course the B/W Sci-Fi's like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc look great on my 1950 Zenith "Porthole" and the Predicta's before I sold them all.
Jim

Charlie
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Well if we are going to talk Sci-Fi... gotta include the original series of Star Trek! ;) It would be the "logical" thing to do.

Unimatic1140
03-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Sandy G, I used to love Please Don't Eat the Dasies when I was a kid. I found a copy of the show taken off a 16mm print a few years back, so I just digitized the opening. This should bring back some memories... :D

(This windows media file is about 1.5mb)

http://68.89.57.239/VID/TEMP/PDED.wmv

Eric H
03-25-2004, 01:44 AM
Has anyone mentioned the 1953 version of "The War Of The Worlds"

Eric H
03-25-2004, 01:48 AM
Ooh, I just thought of a good one!

The 1968 Don Knotts film "The Love God"

An excellent camp classic and VERY colorful! The DVD is pristine looking, this picture I found doesn't do it justice.

Charlie
03-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Jim

Forbidden Planet... in Eastman Color... is available on DVD. It's a two sided DVD, with both widescreen and fullscreen. :D

Charlie
03-25-2004, 02:48 AM
The Munsters Movie "Munster Go Home". This movie was shortly after the series ended. They went to England, and Herman was in a local car race.

classicradios
03-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Those are great looking screen shots Charlie. Forbidden Planet looks great on the roundie, I'll have to buy the DVD now. I remember seeing that "Munsters" movie airing last month but didn't think to record it.

Eric,
I've never seen that Don Knotts movie but I'll watch for it now. The screenshot kinda reminds me of a Dick Van Dyke movie released around that time, He was stranded on an Island with acres of beautiful women, Poor guy. Anyone remember the name of that movie?
Jim

Sandy G
03-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Don't remember that one, but another Don Knotts movie that was released around that time period -I'm sure about all of us have seen it-is "The Ghost & Mr Chicken".-Sandy G.

heathkit tv
03-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by classicradios
Eric,
I've never seen that Don Knotts movie but I'll watch for it now. The screenshot kinda reminds me of a Dick Van Dyke movie released around that time, He was stranded on an Island with acres of beautiful women, Poor guy. Anyone remember the name of that movie?
Jim

That was Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. (http://imdb.com/title/tt0060640/)

How about Hello Down There ? (http://imdb.com/title/tt0064417/)

Hey little gold fish.....gonna havea what of a time! :sing: :yuck: Sheesh!

Anthony

Charlie
03-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Sandy G
Don't remember that one, but another Don Knotts movie that was released around that time period -I'm sure about all of us have seen it-is "The Ghost & Mr Chicken".-Sandy G.

I rented The Ghost & Mr Chicken a while back... Don Knotts is the best. His facial expressions really crack me up.

Here is an "updated" version of the theme song for that movie... i thought it was pretty snazzy sounding. If windows doesn't automatically play it for you, open the url with your media player...

http://www.members.aol.com/oceanskimmer/misc/ghostchicken.mp3

jasonlava
03-25-2004, 02:06 PM
What about the NASA moon landing in 1969?

Isn't that on DVD?

Would be great to find a roundie and have it going before the 35th anniv. of the moon landing and watch it on a cool 60s TV.

jasonlava
03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Unimatic1140
Sandy G, I used to love Please Don't Eat the Dasies when I was a kid. I found a copy of the show taken off a 16mm print a few years back, so I just digitized the opening. This should bring back some memories... :D

(This windows media file is about 1.5mb)

http://68.89.57.239/VID/TEMP/PDED.wmv

That is just too darn cute! Looks like a precursor to the Brady Bunch even though it's not a Sherwood Shwartz production. So did you digitize it and burn it to DVD so you can show it on your roundies?

heathkit tv
03-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by jasonlava
What about the NASA moon landing in 1969?

Isn't that on DVD?

Would be great to find a roundie and have it going before the 35th anniv. of the moon landing and watch it on a cool 60s TV.

You actually believe we landed on the moon? Tooth fairy been by recently to see ya too? I have some bridges for sale that you might be interested in.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Just chopping your busts. I was in summer camp way back when and we were all watching this on pins and needles for what seemed like forever after them touching down---didn't Armstrong place his foot on the surface around 10pm eastern?

Damn I'm gettin old. Explains the dust when I phart.

Anthony

wa2ise
03-25-2004, 10:29 PM
The first moon walk (Apollo 11) was televised in B&W. Using a rather low res TV camera. Given the bandwidth and the signal to noise ratio of getting that signal from the moon to us on earth, and power limitations, it wasn't that bad. In a "history of broadcasting" book I had, they mention that the lighting and whatnot was awful. But I doubt that the astronauts had much time in their schedule pre-flight to get taught how to do TV camera shooting. Just don't aim it at the Sun. The guys on Apollo 12 burned out their camera that way, and the lack of TV images for that mission probably killed public interest in it. :(

We didn't have a color TV just yet back then.

The scan rate of that video from the moon was something like 24 frames/sec and a few hundred lines. And that NASA used one scan converter for NTSC, and another for PAL/SECAM countries. PAL and SECAM without color are the same. These converters were literally just a monitor with a camera focused on it. Then the NTSC and PAL/SECAM video signals were distributed round the world. Everyone except in China got to see it live. Someone I know now says he listened to Voice of America with headphones to hear it live. And then told nobody about it, things were really nuts there then.

Unimatic1140
03-25-2004, 10:31 PM
That is just too darn cute! Looks like a precursor to the Brady Bunch even though it's not a Sherwood Shwartz production. So did you digitize it and burn it to DVD so you can show it on your roundies?
Yup Jason, I've been collecting vintage tv programs since 1985 and now I've been spending time burning them to DVD from VHS. It sort of a pain moving from VHS to DVD, but the picture is much clearer and more stable on these old sets coming from a dvd player. I watch the vintage b/w shows on my '51 Zenith or '48 Admiral and now the color shows I'm watching on my CTC9 roundie now that I've got it working 95% perfect. I think that last 5% is going to be hard, if not impossible to do on that CTC9.

wa2ise
03-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Here's a screen shot of the Apollo 11 moon walk. This is about as good as it gets.

jasonlava
03-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by wa2ise
The first moon walk (Apollo 11) was televised in B&W. Using a rather low res TV camera. Given the bandwidth and the signal to noise ratio of getting that signal from the moon to us on earth, and power limitations, it wasn't that bad. In a "history of broadcasting" book I had, they mention that the lighting and whatnot was awful. But I doubt that the astronauts had much time in their schedule pre-flight to get taught how to do TV camera shooting. Just don't aim it at the Sun. The guys on Apollo 12 burned out their camera that way, and the lack of TV images for that mission probably killed public interest in it. :(

We didn't have a color TV just yet back then.

The scan rate of that video from the moon was something like 24 frames/sec and a few hundred lines. And that NASA used one scan converter for NTSC, and another for PAL/SECAM countries. PAL and SECAM without color are the same. These converters were literally just a monitor with a camera focused on it. Then the NTSC and PAL/SECAM video signals were distributed round the world. Everyone except in China got to see it live. Someone I know now says he listened to Voice of America with headphones to hear it live. And then told nobody about it, things were really nuts there then.

Yeah. I read it was like 10 frames/sec and the actual broadcast was a camera looking at a screen. I just figured it would fit on a roundie (or even an early rectangular) because of the time period. My parents watched it on a rectangular tube color TV when it happened. My grandparents still owned a 50s TV and they watched it. Me... I wasn't born yet:p:

Sandy G
03-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Another good 'un to watch on a roundie would be "7 Faces of Dr Lao" starring Tony Randall & Barbara Eden, I think. It also has about every Sixties TV character actor you can think of. If you come into it right in the middle of the film, as I did the 1st time I saw it, you'll kinda go "WTF is THIS?" But it's a very good flick, once you realise its a fantasy & the director isn't stark raving mad. -Sandy G.

veg-o-matic
04-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Green Acres. Haven't seen it in years, but I caught it last night and all the scenes looked they were planned specifically for a roundie.

Not one of my favorite shows, never was, but I still laugh at Arnold Ziffel.

jasonlava
04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Green Acres. Haven't seen it in years, but I caught it last night and all the scenes looked they were planned specifically for a roundie.

Green Acres is a splash of color! Perfect for the vivid colors of the round tubes. Also, check out Eva Gabor's PINK appliances. Maytag W/D I think(?) Maybe Uni knows. ;)

Of course, when you watch it on a 1959 Zenith B/W, it doesn't have the same effect.

Charlie
04-01-2004, 11:36 AM
I know Freinds isn't a classis yet (although we'll probably be seeing it on TV Land in 20 years), but I think this is really good to watch on a roundie. My reasoning is that Monica's apartment has a wide variety of items in all kinds of colors. I almost spend more time inspecting the different tints and shades more than watching the show!

heathkit tv
04-01-2004, 12:11 PM
If you wanna watch crazy color, how about Batman? Zonk! Kapow! Blam!

Anthony

jasonlava
04-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
I know Freinds isn't a classis yet (although we'll probably be seeing it on TV Land in 20 years), but I think this is really good to watch on a roundie. My reasoning is that Monica's apartment has a wide variety of items in all kinds of colors. I almost spend more time inspecting the different tints and shades more than watching the show!

FRIENDS on a roundie? :confused: Ugh. Well I guess Beavis and Butthead would look good on a roundie because it's a cartoon.

"HUH-HUH... He said 'round'...
HUHU HUHU HUHUH HHEHEHE HEHEHEHE HEHEH YEAH YEAH.. "

SERIOUSLY! I'll bet Yellow Submarine (movie) would be excellent on a roundie. Lots of colors.

jasonlava
04-01-2004, 01:23 PM
[B]\(although we'll probably be seeing it on TV Land in 20 years

And hopefully the Brady Bunch will be on DVD as well as Bewtiched.

Sandy G
04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Beavis, don't make me have to kick yerass again !! Huhuhuh uhh huhuh huh huh uhhh...Butt munch !!!....I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO !!! I NEED TEE-PEE FOR MY BUNG-HOLE !! IN MY COUNTRY THERE IS NO HOLIO !! ARE YOU THREATENING ME ?!? Yeah, that would be WILD on a roundie !! I'd still like to have that Lincoln they had on "Green Acres" & run off & shack up w/"Marcia" somewhere-"Fantasy Island, maybe ? <Grin>-Sandy G.

jasonlava
04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Sandy G
Beavis, don't make me have to kick yerass again !! Huhuhuh uhh huhuh huh huh uhhh...Butt munch !!!....I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO !!! I NEED TEE-PEE FOR MY BUNG-HOLE !! IN MY COUNTRY THERE IS NO HOLIO !! ARE YOU THREATENING ME ?!? Yeah, that would be WILD on a roundie !! I'd still like to have that Lincoln they had on "Green Acres" & run off & shack up w/"Marcia" somewhere-"Fantasy Island, maybe ? <Grin>-Sandy G.

HUHU.. you said shack up.. huhuh huhuh .. fantasy.. huhuh uhu

Marcia Marcia Marcia! I know this may sound weird but I'd like to have a go with Trixie from the Honeymooners. Yeah I know, Alice is hotter but Trixie rocks doesn't have an attitude. I would score.. huhuh huhuhuhuhu huhuhu huhuhu uhuhuh uh u huhuhuu..

DO IT!

OK.. back to our regularly scheduled program.

Charlie
04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't feel so bad anymore! I kinda figured I was a bit strange cause I wanted to score with Samantha and Jeannie. After listening to you guys, I figure that either I'm normal, or you guys are worse off than I am! :D

Charlie
04-01-2004, 03:00 PM
How often have you seen Sam like this?

Charlie
04-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Or this? :smsex:

veg-o-matic
04-01-2004, 03:48 PM

Yeah, right, Charlie! Take a picture of Jennifer showing off "the girls" and you want us to believe you're looking at the colors?
:naughty:

heathkit tv
04-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Damn, Sam looks good in those pix. How about this shot of Alice (Audrey Meadows). They really glamored her down for that role.

I for one like her no nonsense attitude, just what that BLABBERMOUTH Ralphie boy needed!

Anthony

heathkit tv
04-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Here's another pic of Audrey, I think she's adorable!

Anthony

jasonlava
04-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by heathkit tv
Damn, Sam looks good in those pix. How about this shot of Alice (Audrey Meadows). They really glamored her down for that role.

I for one like her no nonsense attitude, just what that BLABBERMOUTH Ralphie boy needed!

Anthony

Hommina hommina hommina hommina hommina

Eric H
04-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Did you say Alice? :lmao:

Kamakiri
04-02-2004, 05:58 AM
I just bought a video of the lunar landing from 1967, with Walter Cronkite. It's the actual newscast from CBS, with a minimum of commentary. I would say it's the best thing I've sen yet to watch on a roundie!

That is, once I get the picture on mine looking good ;)

Sandy G
04-02-2004, 07:36 AM
...Don't fergit Ginger & Mary Ann, fellow maniacs. Or the gal that played "Batgirl" & that green bi-ach on "Star Trek" once. Audrey Meadows initially lost the part of "Alice",'cos Gleason thought she was TOO pretty. She went home, put on a frumpy housedress-what women wore around the house B4 there were sweats & scrubs- & came back. She re-auditoned, & Gleason didn't even recognise her, & hired her. Baby, you're the greatest !! -Sandy G.

jasonlava
04-02-2004, 09:17 AM

I dunno. Would you want to mess with a woman that has a BUTCHER for a boyfriend?

Kamakiri
04-04-2004, 02:15 PM
How about Walter Cronkite on a Predicta? :)

Kamakiri
04-04-2004, 02:16 PM
:)

Kamakiri
04-04-2004, 02:33 PM
The best shot :)

heathkit tv
04-04-2004, 03:21 PM

Egads! My eyes are burning!!! Below is an antidote:

Anthony
P.S. The later Superman episodes were color and should look great on a roundie too.

wa2ise
04-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Saw a part of a PBS show about women singers from the 50's. They showed footage (B&W) of some TV show appearences of them. IIRC singers like Diana Shore, Doris Day and others like them. And yes, the corners of the images had little of interest (except the new PBS "bug").

======================
I'm having roast rabbit for Easter dinner :D

Big Dave
04-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Walter Cronkite is perfectly appropriate on a Predicta, roundie, or any set. Let's not forget Chet Huntley, David Brinkley, Frank McGee, Howard K. Smith, and many others from that era.The "Laramie" NBC Peacock opening they used for TODAY would look great, especially on an RCA (and I happen to have one).

Roundies are great, and That's the way it is.

Good Night AK and good night for NBC News.

heathkit tv
04-05-2004, 01:55 AM
Even though he was never broadcast in color (AFAIK) I think Ernie Kovacs would be ideal to watch on any older set. He was the father of the electronic sight gag and a true innovator of early TV.

I'd also like to see any old episodes of the Today show with Dave Garroway, one of his sons was a best friend of mine when I was a kid and I spent many an enjoyable time at his place.....sadly I've never seen him when he was on that show.

Anthony

veg-o-matic
05-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Had a brainstorm. Well, for me it's a brainstorm; for a normal person, it wouldn't even be a drizzle.
Let's Make A Deal would look great on a roundie. I don't think I've ever seen the lovely Carol Merrill in color! Not to mention those fabulous prizes. If memory serves, they tended to give out the same stuff over and over. Let's see:

Curtis Mathes televisions
Gibson refrigerators
Capehart stereo consoles
Broyhill furniture
Tappan stoves
King Koil mattresses
Silver from the Michael C. Fina Co.
Furs from Decker & Decker of Beverly Hills

What am I forgetting? Rice-A-Roni?

Eric H
05-06-2004, 10:31 AM
"A years supply of Turtle Wax" :D
That would be about one bottle for most people :rolleyes:

Had a brainstorm. Well, for me it's a brainstorm; for a normal person, it wouldn't even be a drizzle.
Let's Make A Deal would look great on a roundie. I don't think I've ever seen the lovely Carol Merrill in color! Not to mention those fabulous prizes. If memory serves, they tended to give out the same stuff over and over. Let's see:

Curtis Mathes televisions
Gibson refrigerators
Capehart stereo consoles
Broyhill furniture
Tappan stoves
King Koil mattresses
Silver from the Michael C. Fina Co.
Furs from Decker & Decker of Beverly Hills

What am I forgetting? Rice-A-Roni?

Steve D.
05-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I guess the "Price is Right" is the only game show left that still has the lovely models gesturing at and demonstrating many of the same manufacturers products day after day. Bob Barker's hosted the show for over 30 years.

heathkit tv
05-06-2004, 12:03 PM
I remember countless TV sets made in the style of "Spanish Mediterranean" and supplied by "Spiegel catalog, Chicago Illinois, 60619"

Speaking of old color shows, a couple of years ago at the NYC museum of broadcasting (or whatever it's correct name is) they were showing some of the classic 60's/70's variety shows and I was struck by how blurry the color was. Seemed to have a certain amount of bleed around the edges like somehow it was off convergence but it made me think that it wasn't the set but the actual tape or recording process. Anyone else notice this?

Anthony

orthophonic
05-06-2004, 08:07 PM
I can offer one possible explanation. Many of the live shows
from the '60s were recorded on Kinescopes instead of video
tape. A special 16mm camera filmed the image directly off
a color monitor. Conrac and Setchell Carlson "Roundie" monitors
were common then, and if they were not tweaked almost
daily, they would have convergence, focus and purity problems
that would of course be recorded on the film. I know that
Color kinescopes were made as late as '71, possibly even later.

I am a Telecine Colorist (transfer and color correct film, usually
camera negative, to video tape for editing) and about 16 years
ago or so I was working for a company that was doing alot
of film for the the NYC Museum of Broadcasting, NBC had donated
their entire vault of Kinescopes to them and they were in the
process of getting it catalogued and transferred to tape.
Most of the stuff I worked on was B/W material from late
40's and early 50's, but I did do several color kinescopes
from the late 60's, '67 & '68 Tony Awards are two that come
to mind, and they had that out of convergence look especially
on the edges.

Eric H
05-06-2004, 11:12 PM
The last few minutes of the last episode of the first season of Lost In Space (on DVD) suddenly switches to color!

The intensity of the change from B&W to color was quite shocking because of all the bright colors used.
Season two, which is being released in September should be quite a treat to watch on a roundie (or a modern set) :D

Eric H
05-06-2004, 11:20 PM
In this picture she looks like one of the alien women in "Mars Attacks" :lmao:

Aussie Bloke
05-07-2004, 01:42 AM
A very interesting topic and great pictures too!

What I'd love to see on a vintage roundie would be some mid 70s episodes of the Australian rock show "Countdown", unfortunately we didn't get colour til 1974 so all our colour sets are rectangular. So for a bit of fun I've taken some stills from various Countdown clips dating 1974-76 of cool Aussie glam rock artists like AC/DC (early Bon Scott era), Hush, Skyhooks, John Paul Young and Sherbet and superimposed them onto a 1958 RCA CTC-7 colour TV set pic which I downloaded from an old TV collector's site which I can guess he's probably joined to this forum too. Anyways Countdown used Philips LDK-5 colour cameras right from 1974 to when it finished in 1987 and they were well adjusted giving really rich colour pictures!!! Aussie glam rock group Skyhooks (seen on bottom left and centre pics) were pretty much the first Aussie rockers to be seen in colour and took full advantage of it with their fancy costumes and makeup.

Eric H
05-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Yes, I know the guy that owns that set, he's a bit of a dullard though, not too bright at all :D

Originally posted by Aussie Bloke
a 1958 RCA CTC-7 colour TV set pic which I downloaded from an old TV collector's site which I can guess he's probably joined to this forum too.

heathkit tv
05-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Those weren't kinescopes that I saw at the museum but actual videotape. Was amazed at the poor quality and had a hard time believing that was state of the art of the time. I do recall that older camera technology did suffer from "burns" and a certain lag quality when panned quickly, but this color bleed was horrible.

Don't recall if this was projected or shown on a actual TV (over 10 years ago now).....so perhaps if it was projected then that may be where the trouble lies.

As for Aussie color TV, I've had my fill of Skippy and Dame Edna thank you very much Mate. LOL

Anthony

classicradios
05-07-2004, 11:55 AM
How about any of the Bob Hope Specials.

heathkit tv
05-07-2004, 12:15 PM
<said in a Bob Hope voice> "And how about those Bob Hope specials?"

LOL!

Anthony (guess you had to be there)

veg-o-matic
05-07-2004, 03:53 PM
How about any of the Bob Hope Specials.

Neat set! Wish I had one. I'm just going to have to break down and buy a bigger house!

Hey, isn't that the same Magnavox that captainmoody has?

classicradios
05-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Neat set! Wish I had one. I'm just going to have to break down and buy a bigger house!

Hey, isn't that the same Magnavox that captainmoody has?

The same Magnavox captainmoody had!:)
captainmoody's the best resource in Michigan for cool vintage stuff. Thanks again captain! Thank you very much.

classicradios
05-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Remember this one?

jasonlava
05-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Remember this one?

OOmpah loopah
doopity doo
I got a real cool roundie for you.

Jeffhs
05-18-2004, 02:57 AM

If you like Green Acres, tune in to TV Land this weekend. They will have a 48-hour GA marathon.

I like Green Acres as well and will try to catch at least a few of the old shows during that marathon. That pig they have is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a sitcom. Those old ones are much better, IMO, than much of the stuff that passes for humor on TV today.

BTW, I'm glad the TV industry is finally starting to clean up TV shows by getting rid of most of the sex and crude language in shows such as NYPD Blue, et al. This does not belong in TV programs broadcast during hours when children could be (and probably are) watching. After midnight, OK, anything goes, but during prime time let's keep it clean. The so-called "family hour" is no place for sex-pot shows such as NYPD Blue and others.

If the old NAB Television Code is reenacted, it could be the best thing yet to happen to television. Under the original Television Code, most stations subscribed to it (I know all three original network stations, channels 3/NBC, 5/ABC and, at the time, 8/CBS in Cleveland, subscribed to the Code and showed its logo at sign on and sign off) and there was no sex or crude language (except an occasional "hell" or "damn", nothing worse, by the '70s) in any show. TV was a lot better in those days. Too bad it took Janet Jackson's Super Bowl halftime stunt last year to make broadcasters realize how filthy many of today's soap operas and other television shows really are.

Sandy G
05-21-2004, 02:48 PM
What's something nice to watch on a roundie? How 'bout "Mr Wizard", I can almost remember watching him. Don't remember if he was in B&W or glorious color, but remember a lot of shows in the "early days" of color TV were still in B&W. I just wish "Twilight Zone & "Outer Limits" had made it to the color era. -Sandy G.

Eric H
05-27-2004, 10:45 PM
I have recently been watching a series of Disney DVD's called Walt Disney treasures.

They have them for Micky, Goofy, Donald... but the best sets are the "Tomorrowland", "On The Front Lines", and "Disneyland U.S.A." discs.

The last one contains the opening day broadcast from Disneyland, it appears to be a Kinescope complete with all the flubs and problems of live TV, it's utterly facinating stuff!

From Amazons Site: "The opening-day special, "Dateline Disneyland" (July 17, 1955), attracted an estimated audience of 90 million--virtually every television household in America"

One of my favorites so far is on the same disc and is called "Disneyland After Dark" originally broadcast on 4/15/62
This is an absolutely pristine color presentation featuring Annette Funicello and Louis Armstrong. It's so vivid it feels like it's happening then and there, not 40+ years ago!

These sets are very limited for a Disney release, between 100,000 and 250,000 copies of each as far as I know. Many of them are available on Amazon new or used and I highly recommend them!

Eric

Steve D.
05-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Eric,

I just finished viewing the Disney 2 DVD set "Tomorrowland." I remember, as a child, watching these programs telecast in B&W on ABC in the mid 50's. At that time, even in B&W, they left a lasting impression on me. The shows originally were filmed in brilliant Technicolor. And that's the way I viewed them today on the DVD's. The combination of live action, animation and miniatures that rival today's computer generated effects is visually stunning. On a well set up roundie this series would indeed be a real treat. :p:

Steve

Eric H
05-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Steve,

I just started the Tomorrow Land discs last night, I watched the "Man In Space" program.
That was sooo cool, featuring no less than Wernher Von Braun himself!

What they were describing was essentially a Space Shuttle! It looked very 1950's Sci Fi but had pretty much the same function:D

My roundie isn't working so I have to watch them on a modern set.
I remember the Wonderful World Of Disney back in the 60's, it was B&W for me then too!

Eric

Steve D.
05-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Eric,

It is interesting that the primary rocket scientists hosting this series were all a part of the German NAZI rocket program just a few years before. And along with Chief designer Von Braun they designed, built (using slave labor) and launched the V-1 and V-2 rockets that almost leveled London in WW-2. Disney really had to sanatize this aspect of the series for a conservative, post war 50's audience. This is just an historical observation, and doesn't detract from the overall quality of the shows.

bgadow
05-31-2004, 09:33 PM
One of my in-laws gave us a tape made from old 8mm films from someone in the family. We were watching it tonight, not too interesting because my wife doesn't recognize anybody. But then, hold the phone! They had, in the early (?) 60s, a roundie-and were proud enough of it to get several screen shots! I haven't been through the whole tape yet but so far there is the opening (I think) sequence to the Disney show, a clip of the Tonight show, Davey Crockett, plus a sequence from Bonanza complete with the NBC "snake" logo. I will try my best to post some shots soon, though they are not too good to begin with and by the time I photograph them, I don't know. My best guess, from watching various scenes, is that its a CTC-11.

bgadow
06-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Here is a shot from the Disney show, says "RCA, the most trusted name in Sound"

bgadow
06-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Bonanza sold a lot of color tv sets...

bgadow
06-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I wish the pictures were better. I had assumed this tape was made recently but discovered it must have been done awhile back, maybe 20 or more years ago. They used a tv set in room for background music! Used CSPAN, which was mostly playing classical music (so far as I can tell) but then they switch to an interview show, and the guy keeps changing channels trying to find more music!

Here is the NBC snake, which looks way cool in action, especially the good copy that I've seen on the web.

Eric H
09-18-2004, 05:49 AM
Now out on DVD!

This is excellent, the color is incredible in that 1960's Batman, Star Trek, brighter than life eye popping C O L O R !

reeferman
10-27-2004, 12:05 AM
The best thing to watch on a roundie is what has to be the dumbest color tv ad ever (thank you RCA). RCA was bragging how good their color picture was compared to that piece of non-RCA junk you just happened to be watching their commercial on. And if you didn't believe them, you could see the BEAUTIFUL picture the RCA tv gave (as displayed on your POS set) in a side-by-side comparison to the rotten picture that was on the rest of the screen. Made me want to go out and buy a Motorola!

Eric H
10-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Has anyone mentioned Rocky & Bullwinkle yet?
I got the first season box set for my B'day and have been enjoying it tremendously.
It's color of course and originally aired in 1959, perfect if you have a CTC-9 :D

Steve Hoffman
10-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Has anyone mentioned Rocky & Bullwinkle yet?
I got the first season box set for my B'day and have been enjoying it tremendously.
It's color of course and originally aired in 1959, perfect if you have a CTC-9 :D

Eric, I remember in 1963 getting to watch BULLWINKLE in color at our next door neighbor's house. It was a treat for me and our black & white Packard Bell didn't seem so hot after watching that set. It was an RCA 1962 model (at least that was the year they got the set); the only color TV on our end of the block, that's for sure..

Charlie
10-27-2004, 09:34 AM
As for cartoons, my favorites growing up (and now getting old LOL) were Looney Tunes with Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, RoadRunner, Tweety, etc. I'm not talkin bout the ones they've made in the past few years... I mean the ones they made in the 60's and 70's... those were the best! I remember one of my favorite episodes being 'The Rabit of Seville' where Elmer is in the barber chair and Bugs is making a salad on his head!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
I just looked and see there is a DVD out... guess what I'll be out looking for today!

It's a shame that Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past. Today, there are only a few shows on Saturday morning, and none of then nearly as good as the ones from years ago. I remember getting up at the crack of dawn when the local tv channels were just coming on the air, and had cartoons on all three channels till at least noon.

Eric H
10-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Charlie, would you believe Rabbit Of Seville was made in 1950!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042871/

Charlie
10-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Charlie, would you believe Rabbit Of Seville was made in 1950!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042871/

Damn! I knew Looney Tunes went way back, but I didn't realize they were in color at that time! Definately true classics!

nasadowsk
10-27-2004, 10:55 AM
I guess if you've gota B&W roundie (hey, they made them too!), nothing's gonna be better than "The Honeymooners". Especially if it's an old Dumont :)

Color? The Price is Right always was neat, though I guess that's a rectuangular era show.

Generally, I watch whatever's on TV. Baseball games look nice.

And the great thing about a roundie is it cuts off the stupid imprint logo thing everyone does now.

I find in general, and not surprisingly, old color videotapes from the 60's and 70's look better on an old TV. I don't know why, but most of my older sets have trouble with some of today's newer shows and advertisements, especially ads that have big white areas in them.

Car ads tend to look good, though.

Best is showing someone one of these old sets for the first time. When I lived in CT, my regular TV was a B&W Bendix console. The maintenance people, when they showed up to fix the perpetually broken a/c system, always did a double take when they saw the thing.

"Is that a REAL TV from the 50's?!?!?!?!?"

hehehehehe :D

Charlie
10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Best is showing someone one of these old sets for the first time. When I lived in CT, my regular TV was a B&W Bendix console. The maintenance people, when they showed up to fix the perpetually broken a/c system, always did a double take when they saw the thing.

"Is that a REAL TV from the 50's?!?!?!?!?"

hehehehehe :D

very true! I actually had someone tell me they didn't realize tv sets were made back then! Man! What an idiot! I guess they didn't know what I Love Lucy was either!

AgentWinchester
10-27-2004, 05:22 PM
...I can imagine these playing on one:

Red Skelton Hour (the ones in color of course)
Any programming on Cartoon Network's Boomerang cable channel. If you don't have it, get it, it's all really old (and good) cartoons. Haven't watched it in a year, so i can't say much about their current stuff.
Nick at nite/ TV Land if you have it.

roundscreen
10-28-2004, 07:52 AM
The simpsons.. been watching them on my roundies since the show went on the air in 87. :lmao:

Charlie
11-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Today, I purchased the new Elton John 4-disc DVD set from Best Buy. Three of the DVD's each show a different concert, and the fourth one shows clips and performances spanning the past 3 decades.

Tonight, I am watching them on the Curtis Mathes, and these DVD's really rock on a roundie. Being that these performances are from concerts, there's lots of stage lighting pouring out tons of intense, alternating color! Hell... I might have to change the 6GH8 after watching this!

The DVD's are in full screen, so you don't have to deal with those damn black bars top and bottom. For those of us that have roundies in entertainment centers, the audio really rocks coming thru the big speakers.

So if you're an Elton John fan, this DVD really rocks... even more so on your roundie!

Here's a scene from Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (which kicked some serious ass, BTW).

Charlie
11-17-2004, 10:17 PM
On a side note, I find it interesting that with all the money this man probably has, he hasn't had that big gap between his two front teeth fixed! :stupid:

Charlie
11-18-2004, 12:18 AM
One of the DVD menus... really cool looking