View Full Version : Looking for a Zenith "tin can"-"boat anchor" 19" table model

PUNK ROCK DUDE
03-09-2004, 01:45 AM
:cool: :cool:
Hello all, new member here. At the moment I am looking for a late 1960's or very early 1970's(I think) Zenith 19" color table model TV. This is one of those sets with the (usually) brown metal cabinet. They feel like they weigh about 100 pounds!! They have the hand wired chassis and are almost all tubes except for maybe the IF chassis. I found a Sams' 1014-3 that has a good picture of what one looks like inside and out. I worked at a Zenith service shop right after I got out of HS and they used to get them for repair sometimes. I have always been impressed with the excellent picture these sets have, the ease of servicing them and the quality that I am sure helped make Zenith famous. The set doesn't have to be working but I would like one in repairable condition with a cabinet that is in reasonably good condition. I can pick it up if you are within a reasonable distance of Detroit MI. If anyone knows where to find one of these sets please email me at jeffalso@usol.com

Carmine
03-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Another TV guy in the Detroit area??? What are the odds?

drh4683
03-09-2004, 05:42 PM
did it look something like this set pictured: captianmoody lives near detroit and he has a set almost identical.

drh4683
03-09-2004, 05:43 PM
chassis

PUNK ROCK DUDE
03-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Thank You Doug for your quick reply!! Yes,(the photos you posted) that is exactly the type I am looking for. BTW, the set you show looks like it is in awesome shape. Lucky guy! As I recall, some of them had the AFC switch and others didn't. I guess it depends on the year it was made. The chassis looks just like I remember with the horizontal centering and focus controls sticking out of the HV cage and the 6HV5, 6CJ3 and 6LB6 right behind. I don't know how long Zenith made that chassis as I was very little when those sets were new. I just remember what a sharp picture and excellent color these sets have and how well built they are. As I said before, I was lucky enough to work at a Zenith authorized repair shop when I got out of HS. The owner taught me a lot about these sets and also the Chromacolor and Chromacolor II's. I got to work on quite a few of these boat anchors as we called them and also a few System III's(I being young and inexperienced at the time, the other tech got most of the newer Zeniths). I really look forward to restoring one of these fine sets.

PUNK ROCK DUDE
03-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Carmine,
Us TV guys are a rare breed and need to stick together. One has to love electronics to work in this business- long hours and not much financial reward. I have a fasination with most anything electronic but I guess TV's are my first love. I look forward to being an active participant here in the forum.

Jeff

kc8adu
03-10-2004, 05:56 PM
is that the set we lit off in my van at ft wayne?
btw the blue lateral is crooked:D

Originally posted by drh4683
chassis

drh4683
03-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Yep, thats the set from ft wayne. This pic is just after I cleaned it out when I brought it home. This is before I converged it. Its got a great picture all fixed up.

PUNK ROCK DUDE
03-11-2004, 07:16 AM
kc8adu,
I never noticed the blue lateral being crooked. Funny thing I've noticed on some of these Zeniths with that kind of blue lateral magnet- turning them a little crooked sometimes makes the purity and/or convergence a little better.
Jeff