View Full Version : Great repair project offered!

hposter
03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi All...

I got this email offer to sell a TV...and I knew everyone here would love to share it.

Also, since I declined to buy it (just jaded, I guess), anyone out there can make Arnold an offer!

Hi......heres an unusual one for you........this is a 50s portable....as you can see it needs some restore work.....it has contact paper over a lot of it....and some rust .......the tube is not broken..and either is the disconnected front screen........nothing that some sanding and a new coat of paint couldn't take care of ,if you are looking for a project .The fact that contact is on it is a good thing in that it protected alot of the area......it might work......but I am not trying it......sure there is plenty of cleaning needed inside.......it has the knobs and hardware ..........Arnold

So...if you have a little sand paper and paint, you could have a television. :D

Harry

kx250rider
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Tell you what... Sounds like this guy MIGHT actually sell it for a reasonable price. I don't know if he'll accept it, but I'll bid $6500, then I will send the cabinet out to Van Nuys Plating, have it worked over for any tiny dents, the have it powder-coated with the correct original colors. I will then have the entire chassis stripped of every component, and have it sand blasted and cadmium plated. I will have the guy who makes the repro wax paper caps send me a complete flawless set of them, and I will reassemble the chassis to mil-spec. I will send the CRT to Hawkeye, whether it needs it or not, and will have it rebuilt including new phosphor. I will get Larry Bordenaro to make a set of brand new knobs for it, and will spend a few days polishing every inch of the set, inside & out.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Then sell it on eBay for $40. :screwy:

Charles

edison64
03-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a plan, BUT WHY REBUILD THE PIX TUBE, NEW PHOSPHER, AND USE THE OLD CRT GLASS BULB????? with the right person this set could be a 401k retirement plan.

Sandy G
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Charles, you feckin' cheapskate you...Come on now, you KNOW that set's worth at least $7500 if its worth a penny...Why, I'd kick a CT-100 to the curb for that bad boy....That thing is a Priceless Example of Fifties Googie kitsch...(grin)

fsjonsey
03-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi All...

I got this email offer to sell a TV...and I knew everyone here would love to share it.

Also, since I declined to buy it (just jaded, I guess), anyone out there can make Arnold an offer!

Hi......heres an unusual one for you........this is a 50s portable....as you can see it needs some restore work.....it has contact paper over a lot of it....and some rust .......the tube is not broken..and either is the disconnected front screen........nothing that some sanding and a new coat of paint couldn't take care of ,if you are looking for a project .The fact that contact is on it is a good thing in that it protected alot of the area......it might work......but I am not trying it......sure there is plenty of cleaning needed inside.......it has the knobs and hardware ..........Arnold

Harry
Dare i ask what he wanted for it?

hposter
03-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Actually, he got back to me and said he'd take $10, once I mentioned I've seen these on ebay for $50...in a 'bit cleaner' condition

But, I was going to mention that $6,500 offer...so he wouldn't get short-changed on his golden oldie :D

Harry

PS--Don't even ask about the girl that offered me a Kodak box camera about 10 years ago, and wanted $10,000 for it--it had belonged to her grandmother!

DaveCT
03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi All...

Harry

That's a neat trick! How do you make a television from a little sand paper and paint? :D

bgadow
03-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Must be talkin' 'bout some sorta scannin' disk kinda tv, maybe you paint lines on the sandpaper and spin it 'round?

Plenty of us would spend $10 on that set, if it were local.