View Full Version : Soldering ultra fine wire

edison64
03-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey to all:
While watching my Admiral 19a115 7 in stat set, the pix just faded into no raster, great sound:no:. I just finished recapping the set about a month ago, I found the trouble, I think, the hv trans has an open/burnt winding, see pix, is there any good way to resolder this ultrafine wire???? looks like it was repaired years ago. Ive fixed band coils, if trans but this is way finer wire, should I just pool the solder and hope for the best?????? The hv trans is an admiral #69b64, and Moyers doesnt have one:tears:

Eric H
03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
It's tough to do but it can be done.

I start by hitting the ends very quickly with a lighter to burn off the varnish, then I put the ends together and hold the soldering iron under them and puddling solder over them till they get hot enough that some of it sticks, then follow it up with some corona dope to keep it from arcing.

alsaudio
03-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Hi, I have a similar issue, scratched the coils removing the cover, bummer!
Think I can remove the top windings and solder the ends, assuming a winding or two won't make much difference.
Interested on advice of course, my tv works, but these coils can fail, and a spare would be nice to have, for sure!

edison64
03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Well I did it, it soldered just fine:thmbsp:, but the wire broke off way back in the center by the ceramic post:no: and its impossible to get at the wire now.:tears::tears::tears: has anyone been able to find a way to seperate the coils from the post:scratch2:??????? I might as well try anything now as the Admiral is a parts set unless I can find another hv trans or donor chassis