View Full Version : Some Sony Trinitrons you may not have seen before

dr.ido
03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
I was sorting through my shed today and uncovered these while trying to decide what stays and what goes.

http://65c02.org/images/ak/ktx1420ub.jpg

A KTX-1420UB Viewdata terminal. These were used to access online banking and data services over 1200bps dial up. It also has NTSC/PAL composite and RGB video inputs and can control a connected laserdisc player. The terminal display can be overlayed over video. When the Viatel services stopped these became the cheapest way to get a nice monitor with a super fine pitch CRT. If I had a land line I'd hook it up and see if the Viatel dial in was still active (for reasons unknown it stayed up serving test/demo pages long after the service died).

There was also a 9" version with a smaller calculator style keyboard, but it doesn't have any video inputs.

http://65c02.org/images/ak/evm1410pr.jpg

A EVM-1410PR Video8 combo unit. The Video8 deck was already gone by the time I got it. I picked it up intending to mount a games system in it, but found that some of the monitor circuitry was on the Video8 PCB and it won't power up without it.

http://65c02.org/images/ak/pvm1371qm.jpg

A PVM-1371QM monitor. Full PAL/NTSC/SECAM multisystem with loads of inputs. I can never find any PVM monitor that doesn't have time code screen burn. Otherwise it still has a great picture. I was eyeing a stack of Apple Mac monitors hoping one may be a suitable CRT donor, but the 12" model was the only one of that series not to use a Trinitron CRT.

http://65c02.org/images/ak/pvm1371qmback.jpg

Sandy G
03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
...And now, the great Trinitron legacy is gone...Helluva shame.

zenith2134
03-19-2008, 11:00 AM
That PVM multisystem monitor sure looks versatile! Imagine having a PAL/NTSC/SECAM source all at your disposal and doing a side by side test of the systems--that'd be cool.

Not surprised it still works, since most pre-'90 trinitrons are built to withstand almost anything.

Like Sandy says, not anymore though. It's probably good they discontinued trinnys--they were bound to get a bad name the way they have been building 'em!

RetroHacker
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I have one of those multisystem monitors - I believe it was intended to go with a Sony CP/M computer (which I have). It fits perfectly on the metal shelf/bracket that is attached to the computer.

I also have some other multisystem Sony Trinitron monitors, recovered from the scrap from various places. They've all worked perfectly, even the ones I found with the cords cut off. Excellent, excellent little monitors. Heavy though. I have a 20" one as well... The only "monitor" I have that's heavier than that is the 17" Conrac tube type black and white monitor.

-Ian

dtuomi
03-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Where I work, we still have a PVM-1371QM as our confidence monitor in Master Control. Its been there working away since the 80's and is still in great shape. In its old age its starting to get a little red though, but I'm not sure what we're going to replace it with. No one here likes the new flat monitors, but there's nothing else to get anymore.

David

Duane
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Where I work, we still have a PVM-1371QM as our confidence monitor in Master Control. Its been there working away since the 80's and is still in great shape. In its old age its starting to get a little red though, but I'm not sure what we're going to replace it with. No one here likes the new flat monitors, but there's nothing else to get anymore.

David

Why not pick up a used PVM monitor? I have a PVM-2030 that I bought a few years ago from some company in L.A. and use it daily.Great looking set. Excellent grey scale.

dtuomi
03-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Its difficult to purchase used equipment through the company P.O. Not that people won't take them, just difficult to get them issued for anything not new.

David

ChrisW6ATV
03-22-2008, 11:31 PM
That '1371 was sold as the PVM1271Q in the USA (unless they had 12" and 13" versions; I suspect the USA number matched our "viewable area" law). With its Super Fine Pitch Trinitron CRT, it was the first color monitor I ever saw that had higher resolution than a B/W CRT of the same size, when displaying B/W composite video (airline arrival/departure information).

vinyldavid
03-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Its difficult to purchase used equipment through the company P.O. Not that people won't take them, just difficult to get them issued for anything not new.

David

They cannot be THAT expensive....couldn't you just find one for a few bux and bring it in?

That's what I would do, IMHO.

dtuomi
03-24-2008, 04:38 AM
That '1371 was sold as the PVM1271Q in the USA (unless they had 12" and 13" versions; I suspect the USA number matched our "viewable area" law). With its Super Fine Pitch Trinitron CRT, it was the first color monitor I ever saw that had higher resolution than a B/W CRT of the same size, when displaying B/W composite video (airline arrival/departure information).

You're probaboly right in that its a PVM1271. But basically its the same monitor. I was looking at it today at work, I should have gone around behind and took a look at the model number. Its developed a new fault, you can't turn it off. The power switch is non-working. Fortunately its stuck in the on position, as its still being used.

They cannot be THAT expensive....couldn't you just find one for a few bux and bring it in?

That's what I would do, IMHO.

Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with price. Its just policy.

David