View Full Version : Sony Trinitron monitor

Kiwick
03-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi you all.

My 2000 Sony HDM-200 trinitron monitor has slowly lost horizontal width over the years, now i'm just right at 96% and i have very little H.W adjustment left... the geometry is otherwise excellent.

I have already resoldered the entire chassis about 4 yrs ago as it had some assorted intermittent faults, it worked fine since then...

Is this one a simple fix or maybe i'm about to lose the flyback?

MRX37
03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
You probably have a resistor or capacitor drifting out of tolerance.

If you can find the bad part, it should be an easy fix.

Kiwick
07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I have to bring up this thread again as the monitor is now displaying some annoying retrace lines in the top 2 inches of the screen...

maybe the CRT is starting to go?

holmesuser01
07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I would suspect capacitors in the vertical deflection circuit, bad soldering, or bad soldering at the vertical output IC.

Kiwick
07-23-2012, 06:53 PM
hmm the retraces first appeared today but they seem to disappear after the monitor has warmed up for a half hour or so...

This monitor is 12 years old and has lots of hours on it... it's amazing it's still working and displaying a good picture!

ChrisW6ATV
07-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Kiwick-

Your description of the retrace line behavior (going away after warmup) exactly matches what happens with one or more bad electrolytic capacitors in the vertical circuits. If you or a friend has even basic electronic repair/soldering experience, you should be able to find and replace the bad ones. Likely, they have part numbers in the 500-599 range, based on other Sony monitors.