View Full Version : Dumont Rarity and Value?

Ampico-kid
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Wondering what the value, rarity, and desireability might be of a DuMont RA-102 "Clifton" in fairly good shape? I don't have any specifics yet regarding the condition of the CRT or the other electronic components.

Since I'm not all that familiar with DuMont, I'd thought I'd poll the "experts".

Thanks.
Bob.

David Roper
03-18-2008, 03:34 PM
It's the next best thing to a prewar set in collectibility, desirability and value.

Not to mention technology. :)

Steve McVoy
03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Very rare. Maybe ten survive. I would guess one with a good cabinet would sell for somewhere around $3000.

kx250rider
03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
RA-102: Is that the one with the two large circular dials, and looks like a prewar 15" console? I have a 101, which is the huge Sherwood cabinet.

Charles

Steve McVoy
03-19-2008, 12:17 PM
That's it:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/dumont_clifton.html

M3-SRT8
03-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Depends on it's condition & restorability.

LJB:smoke:

Arkay
03-21-2008, 06:11 AM
I have no idea of their value, but the earliest television set I remember our family owning was a Dumont we had until I was almost 5 years old. I remember crawling around behind it to stare through the vent-holes in the back at the glow of the innards, and being told to be careful. The cabinet was about the same size as the one in your pic, but it had two large doors that opened and folded back to/in the sides. I've had a soft spot for Dumonts ever since those days, but have never seen the exact same model again since. If I found one, I'd grab it for nostalgia volume alone. IIRC, they were very well-built.

Ampico-kid
03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Depends on it's condition & restorability.

LJB:smoke:

I'll let you all know about the condition in a few weeks. I've made a deal with the seller and will be picking the unit up soon. From the photos I've seen it appears that it's in very good condition. I'll report back after I've made the acquisition.

Thanks for the information.

Bob.

Tim
03-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Congratulations - excellent score. I found mine left out on the curb for junk about 25 years ago. Let me know if you want a copy of the factory service manual. It is probably the same info that is in Riders.

Ampico-kid
03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Congratulations - excellent score. I found mine left out on the curb for junk about 25 years ago. Let me know if you want a copy of the factory service manual. It is probably the same info that is in Riders.

Hey Tim!
Thanks for the offer, but I have the Riders book and it looks like it has everything I'll need (I hope!!). Might be going this Saturday to pick up the set if the weather is cooperative. I have an open back pick up and need a rain free day for this operation. I'll let you all know when I've brought it home.

Bob.

Ampico-kid
03-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I just returned from a jaunt out to Long Island to pick up my newest addition. See attached pictures.

This DuMont RA-102 "Clifton" is in remarkably good condition. The cabinet has a few very minor blemishes, but overall I'd give it very high marks for being in excellent shape. The grill cloth has come loose and was taped back in place by the previous owner. I may have to locate some replacment cloth. The crt checks good on the tester, so at least that's a positive indication that it's most likely going to be useable.

Obviously the set was in a smokers environment as the picture tube and protective safety glass have a yellow film on them from the smoke and tar. This apparently was a very expensive set in it's day sporting a $795.00 price tag in 1947! The serial number is 7156, so I guess that means there weren't too many of them made or sold.

That's about it for now, I'll keep you all posted as I proceed with the restoration.

Thanks.
Bob.

bgadow
03-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Very nice! Nobody did it like DuMont. I've never owned an early one; I have read some early tech bulletins and service newsletters and it is obvious that they took the business (and their customers satisfaction) very serious.

Tubejunke
03-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I think DuMont is the most interesting, and beautiful all around. At least until you get somewhere in the mid fifties or so when they seemed to go bland, and more cheaply made.

I had an RA-109A back in the 80's and I was lucky enough to get to buy it from the original salesman who later in life had acquired it back basically as junk for his antique business. It was always hidden in a nasty, damp old shed as old tvs were pretty much junk back then. He probably only took it in based on the sale back around 1948. I was like 13 years old and I believe everyone thought I was crazy for being fascinated by the old set. My Dad really enjoyed seeing the monster come to his nice home and having to help me lug it up THREE flights of steps to my room. I think it would have been easier to move my room to the basement... We used a refrigerator dolly and as much ass as we could provide to move the set...

I remember the seller telling me that it was one of the first, if not the first sets to come to our area and sold somewhere around $1000. You would have to be LOADED back then to spend that on a tv!! What would that be today? $10,000?? More perhaps..

I wish I could have kept the old thing but it was like storing a pallet of bricks in your house so I more or less gave it to a collector in Richmond, VA in hope that it would be in at least a good home. I DID save the 38 or so tubes.....