View Full Version : Consumer reports previews Magnavox, Insignia Zenith digital tv converters

terra1
03-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Consumer Reports (March 2008) takes a look at 3 converter boxes and compares features.
They picked the Zenith among the 3 to recommend.
Takes a look at sensitivity, features and quality. Things that may or may not be important to you like do you have to use remote for most useful features or can some be accessed on the box.

from Consumer Reports.org:
Digital TV converter boxes: First Look (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/televisions/non-digital-tvs/digital-converter-boxes/digital-tv-converter-boxes-first-look-3-08/overview/digital-tv-converter-boxes-first-look.htm)
Previews of the Magnavox TB100MW9, Insignia NS-DXA1, and Zenith DTT900

Where to get coupons (http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2008/01/dtv-converter-b.html)

To get your coupons, you can call a toll-free number, 1-888-DTV-2009, and give them your name and address. You can also visit a website, www.dtv2009.gov, to apply. The last day to request coupons is March 31, 2009, but there's no guarantee they’ll be available at that late date if funding for the program runs out. The coupons are good for 90 days, and the federal government is supposedly timing coupon distribution to coincide with retail availability of the DTV converters. Many leading retail chains, including Best Buy, Circuit City, Kmart, RadioShack, Sam's Club, Sears, Target, and Wal-Mart, have been certified to participate in the coupon program.

KentTeffeteller
03-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Hi,

Looks like it's a Zenith box for our 1962 Zenith roundie! Ready for Century 21.

NowhereMan 1966
03-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi,

Looks like it's a Zenith box for our 1962 Zenith roundie! Ready for Century 21.

Got one already although the 1982 Zenith is hooked to cable but I use two TV's off the air. Next week, I'll buy #2. Good little box, I can even get Altoona, Pa from here in Pittsburgh on my rabbit ears.

terra1
03-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I was having problems recording to VCR as I normally did.
For sake of example, Channel 9 (PBS channel).

1. I had the regular antenna going into the Zenith DTT900 From Antenna (RF) Input jack.

2. And RF cable going from Zenith TO TV (RF) jack going into the VCR IN from Antenna (RF) jack of my Sony VCR.

Problem: I normally change channels using the VCR front panel display. I had Channel 9 displayed on VCR.

When I recorded, all I got was black snow and wavy lines and could barely make out images. I freaked and thought this couldn't be the Government getting involved in copy protection! AAAAUUUUGHH!

Fix: Change VCR front display to Channel 3. Use the Zenith DDTT900 remote to change to Channel 9 using TV screen to see the channel. Records fine. The Zenith has taken over your television set, no longer is the VCR in control, you have reached the Outer Limits ... doot do doot doo .. :yikes:

Also I was freaked out when all I saw was a blue screen. Clicked the TV/VCR button on VCR remote to change it to VCR viewing. I won't mention my first problem with the blue screen -- I did not have the cable connected to VCR ... :sigh:

andy
03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
FOr the best quality recording, you should use the A/V input on your VCR. This will avoid the tuner completely.

kx250rider
03-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds like that box doesn't have an RF pass-thru. I read on one of the DTV converter threads here, that some boxes do and some don't. If it does, it will act like it isn't there when you turn the power off, same as a VCR.

Charles

ChrisW6ATV
03-16-2008, 10:15 PM
The letter that came with my coupons even told which boxes have RF pass-through. No, the Zenith does not.

OvenMaster
03-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Terra, thank you for that link and the info! :yes: From what I read, it's Magnavox for me. And since I'm going to buy at Wal-Mart, I'll get 90 days to test it and return it if it fails, or I don't like it. :D
Tom