View Full Version : Decoding a capacitor...

RetroHacker
03-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Well, I'm almost done recapping this Zenith console. I replaced a bunch of those stupid striped black capacitors (black beauty, black beastie, bumblebee, whatever), along with a couple of others. But this one I'm not so sure about. It's a domino capacitor, but it's larger, and clearly not mica. It's also not the micamold paper capacitors I'm so used to seeing. It's an Aerovox. Now, looking at it, there are (to me) two ways to read this...

Brown Green Red, black = .0015, 20%

Brown Black Red = .01

And, I don't have the schematic for this set - it's a relatively straightforward set, so I didn't go down to the library to get the schematic. I would assume this is paper, and should be replaced - correct?

Thanks!

-Ian

RetroHacker
03-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Ack. The picture is upside down. I forgot to save it after I flipped it. So, I saved it, and edited the post to remove the old attachment and replace it with the new one. It was still upside down. So, I edited the post again, deleted the attachment, and saved it, then edited again, added the attachment (this time with a different file name), and it is still upside down. I don't get it.

It opens properly in Photoshop and in Preview. So, I'm trying this again. I've re-re-saved it, under a different name, and I'm putting it in another post...

-Ian

Geek
03-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Hi,

You had it right the first time - 1500pF.

Google is your friend - first hit under "capacitor color code": http://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/3g.htm

Cheers!

RetroHacker
03-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Ah. OK. Yeah, I missed that one. I was looking at another that indicated that there were two ways to count the dots... And none of my dots have arrows or teardrop shapes to guide direction.

-Ian

Geek
03-14-2008, 05:21 AM
If you can get your mitts on an older (50's or 60's) ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook, there is a tonne of useful charts and tables in there for such ancient parts :)

Cheers!