View Full Version : Conrac Schematic

dtuomi
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I need a schematic for this Conrac monitor. Anyone know where I might hunt one up?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43282&d=1174023712

Conrac Model DZB 15/RS.

The manufacture date on this one is 1984, but truthfully the model dates back to the early 70's. And Conrac made a tube model based on the same chassis earlier than that.

It doesn't want to lock up correctly anymore, and it just rolls. I've tried contact cleaner on all the obvious places, but is probably electronic.

Any leads would be appreciated.

David

P.S. More pics are located here. (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104642)

dtuomi
03-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Has anyone had any contact with Conrac of late? Perhaps they still have the schematic available?

David

Old1625
03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I haven't shaken hands with this type of set before, and I suppose you've googled it half to death in search of info.

Someone should come up eventually with what you need. In the meantime if this is a squalid state unit it is likely going to be chock-a-block full of electrolytics. Examine the chassis for any of these that are looking puffy on the top, or have "pulled up their skirts"--i.e. the shrink wrap with the numbers that fits on the aluminum can has shrunk further so that it is no longer extending to the bottom of the can.... Those need to be replaced preemptively--whether they are the cause of your specific trouble or not. Do a re-cap on this and you may find your problem is solved.

dtuomi
03-17-2008, 09:10 AM
That's very good advise. And yes, I had googled for this unit, as of today my question on Audiokarma is the only hit google has. Its kind of unusual in its design in that its actually made up a a lot of small cards rather than one master circuit board. I'm not sure if that makes it easier to work on or harder. But, I'll look around the boards for what you suggest.

David

kx250rider
03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I know that their plant out in Monrovia disappeared some time in the 90s :( . Not sure if they're still in business or if they moved overseas.

I bet that any local TV studio has a copy in their library. You could call KTLA at (323) 460-5500 and ask for the guy who does their camera and equipment maintenance. They have a full repair shop right there on the lot. It used to be run by a Mr. Lee, but I think he retired.

Charles

Ralph S
03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
I've got the service manual and schematics of the Conrac DZB monitor series. Please contact me by email at ralph@filmtech.com and we'll work out the details of getting a copy made.

3Guncolor
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I think they went out of business. I have a few color monitors that have that same look from Conrac. At work we have one that is our only delta gun monitor I think it dates back to about 1984 it's very low hour and still works great.

dtuomi
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
They still seem to be in business according to their website (http://www.conrac.us/).

They seem to be only into security and industrial monitors. I find that their use of a German web address as well their US one as somewhat suspicious, it could be that the company sold out. They do seem to have a U.S. street address in Baldwin Park, CA.

David

grimer
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM

kx250rider
03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
They still seem to be in business according to their website (http://www.conrac.us/).Baldwin Park, CA.

David

Same area... At least they still seem to be here in SoCal. The old Conrac plant was visible off the south side of the Foothill Freeway near the 605 in Monrovia. I think it's now a WalMart.

Charles

ChrisW6ATV
03-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Conrac has or had a German division, and in the 1980's B/W monitors at least were made there. I still support a few of them, used in airline information applications.

dtuomi
03-24-2008, 04:21 AM
I have 2 Conrac monitors,both are color,1 is solid state,the other is tube. I have
not been able to find schematics for them :no:

What are the models of your monitors? I do have a Conrac maint manuals for some of the color monitors, and a boat load of them for the small 9n series 9" B&W displays.

David

cbenham
06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
What are the models of your monitors? I do have a Conrac maint manuals for some of the color monitors, and a boat load of them for the small 9n series 9" B&W displays.

David

Hello, do you have a copy of the technical manual for a Conrac ENA9C?

I need a schematic, etc soI can repair it.

Regards,
Cliff

dtuomi
06-24-2008, 01:45 AM
I believe I do. I'll look in the filing cabinet when I'm at work tomorrow and let you know.

David

dtuomi
06-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello, do you have a copy of the technical manual for a Conrac ENA9C?

I need a schematic, etc soI can repair it.

Regards,
Cliff

I found it. The old manuals had gone to be dumpstered, so I saved them. I have one that I think is for the Conrac ENA9C. Its a little confusing as there were three models that essentially were the same monitor electronics with different CRTs attached. Also, be warned, a Conrac manual has enough detail that you could build a new monitor with it. PM me and we'll talk about how I'm going to get it to you.

David

wa2ise
06-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Check to see if the connectors on the circuit boards haven't gotten corroded. Pulling and pushing back down on the connectors may clear some bad connections. Which may clear the problem.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43279&d=1174023686
Lots of connections, and IIRC the connector surfaces are just tin.

Findm-Keepm
06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Conrac monitors were used extensively by the DoD in Automated Test Stations - the Navy used them in the CAT-IIID and RadCom stations (both Grumman, used to support the bygone A-6 Intruder and F-14 Tomcat aircraft.

I fixed a total of two - one had no G-2 voltages (was an open 180K resistor) and the other had a nasty arcing in the focus lead as it left the HV cage. A little RTV Silicone sealant fixed that.

There were Grumman supplied, original Conrac manuals for the monitors - the Navy never produced any manuals themselves.

Very durable - they survived the vibration and G-cycling produced by the catapaults on an Aircraft carrier, but the ship's degaussing system used to give them hell - hence the manual degaussing switch on many models.

If a Google search comes up with nothing, I'd be hard pressed to tell you where to get a manual. Good luck - those monitors are solid, American made and sharp!

Cheers,

dtuomi
06-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I've been lucky, I was able to find a manual for the monitor. I haven't had a chance to put the monitor back on the bench to be checked over, and someone else I think suggested something similar. This monitor is very modular in its construction, so lots of connectors everywhere. I'll be trying it again real soon.

David

dtuomi
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Well it didn't work out for cbenham. I discovered that I had SNA not ENA manuals. So that means SOMEONE out there must have an ENA manual. Come on, its not like Conrac didn't provide monitors for EVERYONE back in the day. Anyway, I'm putting the call out for ENA manuals, if anyone has one please contact me or cbenham.

David