View Full Version : There's an RCA CT-100 in Brazil!!!

Captain Video
03-05-2008, 07:41 PM
An amazing discovery I made yesterday: reading the commentaries on an YouTube video, posted by a friend of mine, there was this guy claiming that he has a CT-100. Skeptically, I wrote a message to him, asking if it was REALLY an RCA CT-100, the world's first color TV set.

Here's a translation of his reply:

"My grandfather ( who is still alive ) was in the USA in 1954, and saw the Rose Parade in a CT-100 in a hotel. He was so impressed that he decided that he would buy one and bring it to Brazil. When he arrived he even had a party at his home, to celebrate the "inauguration" of color TV. He was very disappointed, however, for the TV would only show colored snow and regular black and white pictures. He thought that the set was somehow damaged during the long trip. It was only after he talked to an american friend that he discovered that there were no color transmissions in Brazil. The only color picture he ever saw on this set was in 1963, during an experimental color broadcast of "Bonanza". By 1970 the CT-100 was already retired, due to a vertical failure. By this time, he had an RCA 2000 ( bought in another trip to the USA ), and was able to watch the World Cup of 1970 in color* . Now I have both the CT-100 and the RCA 2000, and I am restoring both."

He says that when the restoration of the CT-100 is complete, he will put a video of it working on YouTube.

* In 1970 experimental color broadcasts were done on a regular basis in Brazil, and the height of those experiments was during the World Cup - they alterned broadcasts in NTSC and PAL-M ( the system that would win and be adopted in 1972 ). Very few brazilians saw the World Cup in color, most of those lucky few were officers of the military dictatorship that was ruling the country at that time.

wa2ise
03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Someone here is keeping a database of known existing CT100 sets. Serial numbers. So if you can find out the serial number, whoever can update the database.

Sandy G
03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Hope the CRT's still good...

Captain Video
03-06-2008, 02:14 AM
I will see if he can give me the serial number.

Steve McVoy
03-06-2008, 08:39 AM
The CT-100 database is kept by Pete Deksnis: http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/

Pete Deksnis
03-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Intriguing good news indeed! Not only is this exciting information about a South-of-the-Border CT-100, it is only the second Merrill I know of that was actually purchased by a consumer. The other is B8003911; if you know of any I'd appreciate learning of it (them?).

With this set (and another two recently unearthed in New Jersey) the number of known surviving CT-100's is up to 130 -- and posted first here on Audiokarma!

Pete

Pete Deksnis
03-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I will see if he can give me the serial number.
It would be a great addition to the CT-100 data base if the owner can share that information. Here's a page with CT-100 serial number location information. There are four numbers with the chassis serial number the most interesting. Based on the history of this set as you have provided, this may be a set produced early in the production run.

http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/potpourri/CT-100rearColorCodedAreas.html

Pete

Steve D.
03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
An amazing discovery I made yesterday: reading the commentaries on an YouTube video, posted by a friend of mine, there was this guy claiming that he has a CT-100. Skeptically, I wrote a message to him, asking if it was REALLY an RCA CT-100, the world's first color TV set.

"My grandfather ( who is still alive ) was in the USA in 1954, and saw the Rose Parade in a CT-100 in a hotel. He was so impressed that he decided that he would buy one and bring it to Brazil. When he arrived he even had a party at his home, to celebrate the "inauguration" of color TV. He was very disappointed, however, for the TV would only show colored snow and regular black and white pictures. He thought that the set was somehow damaged during the long trip. It was only after he talked to an american friend that he discovered that there were no color transmissions in Brazil. The only color picture he ever saw on this set was in 1963, during an experimental color broadcast of "Bonanza". By 1970 the CT-100 was already retired, due to a vertical failure. By this time, he had an RCA 2000 ( bought in another trip to the USA ), and was able to watch the World Cup of 1970 in color* . Now I have both the CT-100 and the RCA 2000, and I am restoring both."

He says that when the restoration of the CT-100 is complete, he will put a video of it working on YouTube.

* In 1970 experimental color broadcasts were done on a regular basis in Brazil, and the height of those experiments was during the World Cup - they alterned broadcasts in NTSC and PAL-M ( the system that would win and be adopted in 1972 ). Very few brazilians saw the World Cup in color, most of those lucky few were officers of the military dictatorship that was ruling the country at that time.

JUST A HISTORICAL NOTE ON THIS BRAZILIAN CT-100. The grandfather could not have viewed the 1954 Rose Parade on a CT-100. The only RCA color receiver used for that telecast was the prototype "Model 5." However, if the grandfather was still in the USA in April of 1954, he could have purchased a CT-100 when they went on sale to the public. If the gentleman has his dates confused even by a year, the 1955 Rose Parade was not telecast nationally in color. Only local Los Angeles station KTLA broadcast the '55 Rose Parade in color. It could also be that he managed to buy a "Model 5" in Jan. 1954 and shipped it to Brazil, which would really be an amazing find! Pinning down the purchase date and having the serial # are very important.

-Steve D.

Tim
03-06-2008, 09:07 PM
it is only the second Merrill I know of that was actually purchased by a consumer. The other is B8003911; if you know of any I'd appreciate learning of it (them?).

Pete

Pete:

The person that I purchased my CT-100 (B8002601) from, got it in 1970 from the Family of Bud Lynch, former announcer for the Detroit Redwings. It was his belief that Bud purchased the set new as it was in the Lynch house ever since he could remember and he was friends of the Lynch family since childhood.

It is, of course, also possible that the set was a gift to Mr. Lynch. Either way, he was the first caretaker.

Captain Video
03-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I asked the guy for the serial number. Hope he doesn't take too long to answer.

Captain Video
03-07-2008, 05:11 AM
I have the chassis number of his set: it is B8001150 and the cabinet number is 372.

Pete Deksnis
03-07-2008, 05:51 AM
I have the chassis number of his set: it is B8001150 and the cabinet number is 372.
Thanks! We'll add it to the CT-100 Living List with you as the contact person. This joins the 'foreign' corps along with one CT-100 in England, two in France, two in Germany, and two in Italy. Of course, any picture of this set would be much appreciated. Thanks again for uncovering this latest Merrill survivor.

Pete

Captain Video
03-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I am trying to convince him to let me visit him when I go to his city ( I will have to do that until June/29 ) so I can take pictures of his TV.

Steve D.
03-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Captain Video,

As Pete confirms, this is a CT-100. But the timeline for viewing the 1954 Rose Parade in color on a CT-100, as I pointed out, in my previous post, still doesn't pan out. When you visit this family could you find out more about the circumstances as to when and where the set was purchased. I still believe the grandfather viewed the parade on a "Model 5" in Jan. '54, which looks similar to the CT-100, and later that year purchased his CT-100.

Thanks,
-Steve D.

Captain Video
03-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, probably his grandfather confused the two very similar sets. I sincerely hope that he agrees on let me visiting him; It is obvious that this is a VERY wealth family, so maybe they will not feel confortable on letting a complete strange from another state to visit their house.

fsjonsey
03-08-2008, 12:24 AM
It's amazing where things can end up. I own a 1962 Corvair, and i know that they have turned up as far away as the Ukraine, Iraq, and Australia.

Captain Video
03-08-2008, 04:27 AM
I know of VW Beetles on some very unlikely places to find such a car, such as Afghanistan and Japan.

peverett
03-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I have seen a 1958 Ford on a vacation in the United Kingdom, a 1957 Chevy and a Caddy on a vacation in Israel and a 1953 Ford on a vacation to Cancun Mexico. I know a person who left a Pontiac Fiero in Ireland when moving back to the US. American cars turn up in odd places.

(As an interesting side, I visited China for work a couple of years ago and saw ads for a Ford Maverick-an SUV there, not the economy car of 30 years ago here.)

Gianni
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
So, this is not the first known 15GP22 based TV with a PAL oscillator in it?
I am sorry for this, but you got a very beautiful and intresting TV anyhow! D:

old_tv_nut
03-09-2008, 04:41 PM
So, this is not the first known 15GP22 based TV with a PAL oscillator in it?
D:

I am not sure I understand this question. Brazil uses PAL-M, that is, the same 525-line scan and color subcarrier as NTSC, but the CT-100 would not have the necessary line-by-line phase alternation to decode PAL correctly.

Is that what you were asking?

Captain Video
03-09-2008, 05:23 PM
For the best of my knowledge, this TV is a 100% original in it's American specifications, hadn't suffered a single adaptation since it was bought. When it received color signals, please note, it was in 1963, when experimental NTSC color broadcasts were made here. By 1970 - when they were already preparing to adopt PAL-M - the CT-100 was already retired, due to vertical failure. It never witnessed PAL-M color... so far.

Gianni
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I am not sure I understand this question. Brazil uses PAL-M, that is, the same 525-line scan and color subcarrier as NTSC, but the CT-100 would not have the necessary line-by-line phase alternation to decode PAL correctly.

Is that what you were asking?

Yes!:yes:

For the best of my knowledge, this TV is a 100% original in it's American specifications, hadn't suffered a single adaptation since it was bought. When it received color signals, please note, it was in 1963, when experimental NTSC color broadcasts were made here. By 1970 - when they were already preparing to adopt PAL-M - the CT-100 was already retired, due to vertical failure. It never witnessed PAL-M color... so far.

Well, thanks to his vertical failure your set hadn't suffered a thing like...
...this attachement!
I have not ate the sardines, that circuit is NOT tested and i do NOT advise anyone to test it, however i was thinking of a circuit like it.
I am happy because you has now a genuine CT - 100, of course...:beerchug:

Captain Video
03-25-2008, 03:17 PM
That is a very curious device!!!

UNFORTUNATELY, that CT-100 is not mine, is from some guy that I don't even know in person. I still didn't managed ( financially speaking ) to put my hands in the very commom Brazilian Philco Predicta... just imagine a CT-100!!!

It is COMPLETELY out of my reach.

Gianni
03-28-2008, 05:12 PM

"My grandfather ( who is still alive ) was in the USA in 1954, and saw the Rose Parade in a CT-100 in a hotel. He was so impressed that he decided that he would buy one and bring it to Brazil. When he arrived he even had a party at his home, to celebrate the "inauguration" of color TV. He was very disappointed, however, for the TV would only show colored snow and regular black and white pictures.

:yes:Yes, dear Captain Video, i forgot about this story, but i was too happy for the brazilian CT - 100.

Was the "color - killer" working when that set showed a "colored snow"?:scratch2:

miniman82
07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
This thread piqued my interest, any updates/pics?

Pete Deksnis
07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
FYI:

Back in March 2008, the CT-100 identified as the 130th known set was assigned to B8001132 since open questions about this set, B8001150, were unresolved.

This set is not yet officially on the Living List of CT-100's.

Pete

Captain Video
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately, I have been completely unable to get closer to this precious set. The owner is, well, kind of a difficult person, he is not someone willing to let a complete stranger get inside his house and take pictures of his CT-100.

I would LOVE to see this TV in person ( I have never seen a CT-100 in person ), but for that I would need the goodwill of the owner, and all my contacts with him regarding this matter were frustrating.

Oh well. I can only hope that, with the increased interest that vintage TVs are receiving here in this country, that someday he decides to come public with his ultra-rare possesion, and share it with the TV collector community.

jr_tech
07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Interesting story...I had never seen this thread, glad it popped back to the top!

"My grandfather ( who is still alive ) was in the USA in 1954, and saw the Rose Parade in a CT-100 in a hotel...."

Were many of these sets (I assume the earlier "model 5") set up in hotels for the Rose Parade demo? Is there a list of the chosen demo sites posted somewhere?

just curious,
jr

Steve D.
07-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Interesting story...I had never seen this thread, glad it popped back to the top!

"My grandfather ( who is still alive ) was in the USA in 1954, and saw the Rose Parade in a CT-100 in a hotel...."

Were many of these sets (I assume the earlier "model 5") set up in hotels for the Rose Parade demo? Is there a list of the chosen demo sites posted somewhere?

just curious,
jr

Here is a link to Ed Reitan's "History of Color Television" site that discribes his viewing, as a child, of the 1-1-54 Rose Parade in color on an RCA Model 5 at a hotel in Omaha, Neb.
http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/rose_parade.html

-Steve D.

radio63
07-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately, I have been completely unable to get closer to this precious set. The owner is, well, kind of a difficult person, he is not someone willing to let a complete stranger get inside his house and take pictures of his CT-100.

I would LOVE to see this TV in person ( I have never seen a CT-100 in person ), but for that I would need the goodwill of the owner, and all my contacts with him regarding this matter were frustrating.

Oh well. I can only hope that, with the increased interest that vintage TVs are receiving here in this country, that someday he decides to come public with his ultra-rare possesion, and share it with the TV collector community.

Rather than you going to his house to take picutres of the CT-100, how about your asking him to e-mail you some pictures of his set? Maybe he might be more at ease if you asked him to send you pictures instead of you going into his house. Just a thought. Good luck!

Gilbert